Close

Thread: Email help

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Email help

Hi guys

i've got a friend who runs his own small business. He's just taken on someone to work for him from their home, and set up a new email account for them

What he wants is to be able to see incoming and outgoing email for this new person as they will be doing as they will be dealing direct with customers on his behalf

his email is pop3 from the server that his web site is hosted with

the only way i can see to do this is set outlook to leave the email on the server so that he can view it as well as the new person, and then ask them to make sure they cc him in on every email sent out

this isn't ideal as a lot of the stuff he deals with are press release materials and are large files, and the email server will quickly fill. it also requires the new person to remember to copy him in every time

he's completely computer illiterate so i need a foolproof solution that he can't mess up. i can set it all up for him, but i prefereably need a solution where he doesn't need to load or change settings every time he boots up windows as he will get it wrong

any suggestions?

cheers,

big man
    I am a loud man with a very large hat. This means I am in charge

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Email help

Why set up the pop3 account for the new person, just get them to access the email account via the web. eg. instead of seting up the new persons email account pop3.ic24.net for example get them to got to www.ic24.net . Doing this will mean that the owner of the company can then see what have been sent and received.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not sure how you mean. If you are talking about webmail, you end up with the same problems. Large emails left on server and not automatically copied in on replies.

If you don't mean webmail, could you elaborate please

cheers

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think your initial solution sounds like the best idea. You can probably set the CC automatically and then your only issue is space and sending out big files but if it gets sent to the recipient and him it doesn't matter that much? Consider hosting on a (private) server and uploading files for people and linking them in the email. This may (considering the content and presentation of the data, neither of which I know) even look more professional as it is a kind of archived approach, and also allows people who download with attachments to get the initial email very quickly.

So in short, why can't you try automatic leave on server, automatic CC, and link sending to hosted files? Good luck :thumbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

I didn't know you could do automatic cc'ing. I'll look into that

Good idea about the attachment dump, but it'll be too much for him and he'll get it wrong (and then i end up with god knows how many phone calls !)

There's an outlook option to leave on the server, and then delete after x days, so i'll switch that on and see how they get on

hopefully that should cover it

cheers for the help guys

Big man

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by big man
    Not sure how you mean. If you are talking about webmail, you end up with the same problems. Large emails left on server and not automatically copied in on replies.

If you don't mean webmail, could you elaborate please

cheers
    I am talking about webmail. Your right about the large mail build up but that would not matter because the company owner would still be receiving eamils to his normal pop3 account and as such could delete the items being responded to on webmail because he would have received them anyway.

Admittedly there would be a build up of outgoing emails from the webmail address.
    hope this make sense.

Thanks for the Karma!