Close

Thread: Athlon 64,s

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Athlon 64,s

whats the difference with these athlon 64,s now, ive just noticed there is a venice core and a san dieago both are socket 939.

What happened to the winchester, and are these any better, im toying with the idea of getting a new board and cpu and was thinkin of a athlon 64 but dont really know which one to get.

was lookin at this one

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=88109

so, is the venice and good or the san diago, and what happened to the winchester

any ideas appreciated guys
    Through the darkness of futures past. The magician longs to see.
    One chance out between two worlds. Fire Walk With Me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Athlon 64,s

they run much faster and when the 64bit windows and programs come out they will be able to run those but the normal cpus wont beable to because they are only 32bits
    I have stolen money from a DF member and a member of Disqworld. All my personal details including families details are on file and will be made public to everyone if I do not refund the money I stole or send the goods I promised. My name will be ravaged across the net and the consequences will be severe if I do not sort this fucking mess out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The Venice is the newast AMD core, and adds the following features to the existing spec -

• Support for SSE3 instructions — The Venice core can execute 11 of the 13 instructions that make up SSE3. Pioneered by Intel in its Pentium 4 "Prescott" chips, these 11 instructions are targeted at speeding up certain types of computation. Five of them are aimed at complex math operations like fast Fourier transforms (often used in scientific computing), while another four allow for better data organization in software vertex shader routines for graphics. The handful of others should improve performance in video encoding and speed up conversion of float-point data types to integers. The two SSE3 instructions that the Venice core doesn't support have to do with thread synchronization for Hyper-Threading and simply don't apply here.
    • Support for mismatched DIMM sizes per channel — The memory controller built into the Athlon 64 has been tweaked to allow for DIMMs of two different sizes to coexist in a single memory channel. That means it would be possible, in a Socket 939 system with two memory channels, to plug in two pairs of DIMMs that are different sizes without gravely compromising performance.
    • Better memory mapping — The rev-E chips can make more efficient use of memory space, although AMD isn't long on details about the changes.
    • Improved memory loading — AMD says it's possible with a rev-E chip to populate all of the slots of the motherboard with dual-bank DIMMs without seeing any slowdown.
    If I were buying a new CPU, I'd be going for the Venice, they're supposed to be great for overclocking, and run VERY cool too. :thumbs
    Last edited by broona; 11th August 2005 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Word got blanked out!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by computer techie
    they run much faster and when the 64bit windows and programs come out they will be able to run those but the normal cpus wont beable to because they are only 32bits
    thanks for that m8, sorry i should have been more clear, i knew about the athlon 64,s i just ment what was the difference with these new venice ones rather than the older winchester ones.

@broona cheers m8 thats all i wanted to know

thanks both of you
    Through the darkness of futures past. The magician longs to see.
    One chance out between two worlds. Fire Walk With Me.