Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info High Definition TV news

High Definition TV news Posted Monday, August 22nd, 2005

Sky reveals first confirmed details on HD channel content

Following is the info we've just received from Sky containing the first confirmed details they've released on their upcoming high definition service...

"22 August 2005 -- British Sky Broadcasting (Sky) today announced the first details of the channels it will offer on its forthcoming High Definition (HD) television service launching in the UK and Ireland in early 2006. From launch, Sky HD, will include a Sky Sports channel, Sky One, Artsworld, a Sky Box Office channel and two Sky Movies screens, allowing viewers to enjoy a wide variety of programming with the intensity and rich detail of HD pictures.

The company is in advanced discussions with a number of other channels interested in offering an HD service on digital satellite and details will be announced over the coming months.

From launch, the Sky Sports channel will offer live and exclusive coverage of the Barclays Premiership in HD with the added benefit of Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. Also available in HD will be live rugby from the Guinness Premiership, with other HD sports to be confirmed later.

From Sky Movies there will be two HD screens dedicated to films in HD, with titles available at launch including Spider Man 2, The Day After Tomorrow and House of Flying Daggers. In addition, movie fans will able to choose from up to ten movies in HD each week on Sky Box Office.

A simulcast version of the existing Sky One channel will deliver high-quality entertainment programming with a range of Sky One shows and cutting edge series in HD.

Sky HD's simulcast version of the existing Artsworld channel will offer a selection of arts programming including opera, dance, and classical music. The quality of HD broadcasts will transform the viewing experience offering stunning picture and sound quality, bringing alive performances of a wide range of artistic genres on the UK's only dedicated arts and culture channel.

Sky is also announcing that consumers in the UK will be able to pre-register for Sky HD in retail stores from Friday 26 August. First to launch the pre-registration service will be Comet and selected independent retailers, with other retailers to follow soon after. This will offer customers the opportunity to be among the first to receive Sky's HD service in the UK.

Brian Sullivan, Sky's Director of Customer Products and Services, said: "The launch of high definition will be the start of an exciting new era in broadcasting and Sky HD will offer stunning picture and sound quality for a broad selection of programmes. When this choice of viewing is combined with the Sky+ functionality of the Sky HD box, consumers who upgrade to HD Ready television sets can look forward to a viewing experience that will be truly transformed."

Posted by John Archer
    To link to this news item, bookmark this address :
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-...ws.php?id=8294

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: High Definition TV news

wandered into comet last week, they have a few LCD/Plasma's showing a demo loop with a SKY HD logo taked on to the end. The pic quality was shite compared to the HD demo stuff running on A few Sagem DLP's
    hasta la yeah baby yeah!

3tv

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

guess its back to black then ..... *grumble*

Thanks
    Karma Level

about time... bloomin silver stuff... will look nice with my silver and black 32inch lcd

Thanks
    Karma Level

I got the 50" Sagem DLP... And very impressd... needs the HD to show it off though...gonna have a new lamp fitted as well so it's like new ... HD can't come quick enough for me

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzo
    I got the 50" Sagem DLP... And very impressd... needs the HD to show it off though...gonna have a new lamp fitted as well so it's like new ... HD can't come quick enough for me
    sagem axium 50" wont display HD from HDCP sources, eg hd-dvd, bluray and SkyHD. The shit could hit the fan if Sky dont allow HD via analogue connections as there are plenty of Plasmas and LCD tv's also that dont support HDCP . Only way to be sure is if ya TV has a HDMI port as HDCP is part of the spec as not all DVI ports have HDCP support.
    hasta la yeah baby yeah!

3tv

Thanks
    Karma Level

thank goodnewss my plasmas have hdmi

however i have a HDTV in the usa and it PISSES on my plasma in the uk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

@Raptor , me is v jealous of u in the usa , i been grabbing sum of the discovery HD stuff off the newsgroups and gotta say its tremendous , especially the nasa space stuff ie 'space.shuttle.orbits.the.earth.1080i'

Thanks
    Karma Level

that sky box reminds of of the xbox 360 for some reason.... so someone recommend a good hdtv, i will have a job soon and want to save up for an epenis

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor
    thank goodnewss my plasmas have hdmi

however i have a HDTV in the usa and it PISSES on my plasma in the uk

guessin that the HDTV set your using in the US aint a Plasma? Havent seen any CRT HDTV's here in the back water of technology but DLP HD sets from Samsung and Sagem are stunning, way ahead of any Plasma/LCD ive seen when showing HD content.

Anyone had the chance to view the "CmoreHD" channel launched in the scandinavian regions on the 1st sept?
    Last edited by 3tv; 3rd September 2005 at 11:22 AM.
    hasta la yeah baby yeah!

3tv

Thanks
    Karma Level

My Plasma too has HDMI, bought because of this
    We all make mistakes sometimes

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg
    My Plasma too has HDMI, bought because of this
    tis a pity your Revolution wont have any need for it :tongue

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol. We'll see........
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 3tv
    sagem axium 50" wont display HD from HDCP sources, eg hd-dvd, bluray and SkyHD. The shit could hit the fan if Sky dont allow HD via analogue connections as there are plenty of Plasmas and LCD tv's also that dont support HDCP . Only way to be sure is if ya TV has a HDMI port as HDCP is part of the spec as not all DVI ports have HDCP support.
    Heard about this a while back. It has been quite an issue among Sagem Axium owners. I, for one, bought the set on the undestanding of the it being HD ready. I think the problem was that Sagem developed the Axium early 2003 and involved Sky in the development. The problem was that Sky then changed the spec of the format. There were rumours about a converter box from the US. I think the upgrade to the Axium 50" is HDCP ready and Sagem say it is a direct replacement... but it's 45"!!... a downgrade in my opinion. I have to say Sagem have been absolutley supurb about all this and they have been caught out as much as the consumers. The customer service is excellent. The TV is a dream.. the absolute dogs. I have not seen a Plasma or LCD to come near it and if I had I'd be the first to admit it. Found this linked from a forum and if it's all true shows Sagems commitment. Fingers crossed.

Sagem 'working on a solution' to make Axium screens Sky HD compatible

The fall-out continues from Sky's suggestion that it will only deliver its upcoming high definition pictures to screens through HDCP-compliant digital video inputs. And the second unlucky brand today is Sagem...

The problem is that the DVI jack on the company's otherwise excellent Axium 50in DLP rear projection TV is not HDCP-ready. Rumours have been flying around on various AV forums suggesting that Sagem is planning a firmware upgrade to rectify the problem. But from contacting Sagem direct, we can't yet confirm that this is the case. Here is the response we've got from Sagem yesterday: "Sky have apparently moved the goalposts; the Axium was produced in accordance with Sky's original HDTV indications and now it seems that they have decided to protect content and require HDCP screens. We are working on a solution and will confirm our solution to you just as soon as we can."

Two interesting points emerge from these few words, however. First, it sounds at least hopeful that Sagem will be able to do something for existing Axium owners. And second, it sounds like it's not just customers who've just bought new plasma and LCD TVs without HDCP-ready DVI or HDMI jacks who are cheesed off with Sky's new intentions...

Posted by John Archer
    To link to this news item, bookmark this address :
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-...ws.php?id=7290

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i was blown away when i seen the axium 50 showing hd, was dissapointed with the 45" but now the true successor to the axium 50" is here. the 56"er

seen 1 hdcp convertor box, sumthin like $399. If there is more demand for these then they should come down in price eventually.
    hasta la yeah baby yeah!

3tv