Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Bargain Hunt - 'Looking for a good deal on...' section?

We don't get many requests for a good deal/price on things like holidays or random items but maybe a forum in the Bargain Hunt section could be added for wanted adverts and general enquiries for finding a good deal?

At the moment there are not too many requests for good prices but maybe it's popularity will increase once people know how much money they can save from member's favourite cheap places and past experiences?

Just thought with there being so many offers available these days and a lot of places to look for them not everyone always knows where to go for the best deal. Instead of going to the D&D and asking where to get the cheapest price on something it could all be directed to one place.

Just an idea anyway, take it or leave it. I just thought it'd make the Bargain Hunt forums complete. We're not exactly moneysavingexpert.com and theres no need to make another one, but our members have the knowledge, we might as well share it about.

any comments or opinions welcome
    I'm new to this :huh:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Bargain Hunt - 'Looking for a good deal on...' section?

why not..seems like a good idea

Thanks
    Karma Level

BST section using this
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2
    BST section using this
    yeah fair play. I've used it a few times and always got good results from section.

I just thought there's members who are not looking for things like "a 20GB hard drive" for example, which a lot of people will have and someone will want to sell it. Say for example if someone want's to buy new things from a shop or untransferrable things like a flight to cuba or whatever.

As it's the Bargain Hunt section members can share where they buy their items for at the cheapest (but not nessecerily deals like biggys). It would be much a open forum which isn't dealing with trading and would need post by post moderation but could just be where members can share knowledge on how to get the stuff they are looking for for the best price.

Just an idea when i woke up, I dont even think i'd use it that much. I've said all i can so i'll leave it there.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Posting in the BST would be a right pain. Imagine someone "looking for a deal..." and there's 10 replies stacked up waiting moderation? It would get a tad disoriented in there.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I suggested this myself ages ago and I think it's a great idea. The BST section is ok if you want to buy something another member may have but its impractical when you want to find a cheap flight/buy a new fridge etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

sorry to bring this up but this is a classic example of someone looking for a deal on something but not knowing where to post it. Also a mod didn't even know where to put it, it was moved to the BST and then back to the D&D...

I know the idea of a section where people just list stuff they dont know where to find on the 'net might be a bit boring and could not get much use but it also might be pretty useful...I would go for the latter.

Sites like froogle and all the 'bargain' listing shopping sites are biased in how they work, there's no true place I've found to find something cheap, or something vague (like the in the thread example).

With the diversity of DF these days would it not compliment the already very popular Bargain Hunt section...afterall this would be epitomy of a bargain hunt?

ABCMan

tbh i'd be tempted to go with the d&d as i've seen a few like that in there over the years, but in reality i dont think it would get that much use

Thanks
    Karma Level

Would it be feasable(SP) for a sub section in the BST as I have had the same dilemma and put it in the BST although it wasn't the most suitable section?

Thanks
    Karma Level

With regards to the thread you decided to bump this with....

Your at the misfourtune of not being able to see moderator notes - it wasnt a case of 'not knowing what to do'.

It was rightly moved to the BST (as an item wanted thread) - but zapped by a resident mod for failing to meet the 50 post entry fee.

On the one hand - its always been noted that there are to be no requests in Biggys to save cluttering it up. On the other hand, it could be a nice addition - but it would mean monitoring 2 sections - because any bargain found would not be in the cheapy - would be in requests, so what do you do then?

Tell members to post it in biggys - double thread? or tell the users they have to check 2 sections to win?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer_y89
    Tell members to post it in biggys - double thread? or tell the users they have to check 2 sections to win?
    If an item was found that was particularly cheap in one of the wanted threads then why could it not also be posted in Biggy's? I would doubt this would happen too often since the bargains posted in Biggy's aren't just cheap but exceptionally cheap.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It wasnt a case of 'not knowing what to do'.
    no, it was a case of the person wanting advice on which to buy, it's not the same as putting a WTD ad in for a "1GB Ipod shuffle" it was a "what mp3 player shall I get, suggestions?" type of post. This is what I got from it anyway. It's not like everyone wants to buy second hand goods, or can buy second hand. For example fligh tickets to nepal, how do you find the cheapest for this without doing a D&D thread...

I'll leave it, maybe more requests make it get raised again but it looks like it aint gonna happen so no worries.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think it would be a good idea, theres been a few times i though about asking,, but not sure where to put it

matt

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by shangrula
    no, it was a case of the person wanting advice on which to buy, it's not the same as putting a WTD ad in for a "1GB Ipod shuffle" it was a "what mp3 player shall I get, suggestions?" type of post. This is what I got from it anyway. It's not like everyone wants to buy second hand goods, or can buy second hand. For example fligh tickets to nepal, how do you find the cheapest for this without doing a D&D thread...

I'll leave it, maybe more requests make it get raised again but it looks like it aint gonna happen so no worries.
    If you want advice on what to buy then post in the relevent section ie if its a PC then post in the PC section, if its a cheap broadband connection the ask in the broadband section.

Its not rocket science and has been in practice since the beginning of DF.

THE BST section has stringent rules to protect members from spammers and scammers and has a proven track record although its a lot of work to moderate.

We dont need any subsections as far as Im concerned.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

ABCMan

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer_y89
    but zapped by a resident mod for failing to meet the 50 post entry fee.
    that concerns me as there is no 50 post rule for [wtd] ads just for selling

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2
    If you want advice on what to buy then post in the relevent section ie if its a PC then post in the PC section, if its a cheap broadband connection the ask in the broadband section.

Its not rocket science and has been in practice since the beginning of DF.

THE BST section has stringent rules to protect members from spammers and scammers and has a proven track record although its a lot of work to moderate.

We dont need any subsections as far as Im concerned.
    i agree

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ABCMan
    that concerns me as there is no 50 post rule for [wtd] ads just for selling
    Aye i thought that to, but thought must be wrong cos it was banished - obviously not

Thanks
    Karma Level

sounds fair, it was just a suggestion, maybe more useful in the future, maybe not...as long as everything runs smoothly i'm happy.