Close

Thread: Martial arts

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Martial arts

I've been thinking of taking up some form of martial art , I'm not interested in belts or owt like that as it's mainly to get/ stay fit, get supple and if all else fails be able to look after myself (but thats not the priority as I've lasted this long).

Has anyone got any suggestions on which would be the best thing to try and does anyone know of any clubs in the Stoke-on-trent, Stafford or Stone area???
    Cheers
    Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat, sooner or later you get pissed off.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Martial arts

Kickboxing :thumbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would first maybe have a look through the yellow pages as to what is available in your particular area regarding martial arts classes mate, as most disciplines would cover excercising the entire muscle frame of the body from a cardio-vascular point of view if you just want to try and keep slim etc. But.. an important element of most martial arts is aimed at the mind as well as the body so if you just want the fitness aspect of your body, and to learn how to look after yourself in a scrape, I would take up boxing and something like basketball.

Thanks
    Karma Level

dont mind the mental discipline or any spiritual stuff just not really interested in the grading process, I can be as good or as bad as I like without having a coloured belt to show for it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Grading isn't just a 'trophy', it's part of the mind aspect, setting goals and climbing stairs as they say.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Indeed but it depends on how it's done, there is also the commercial aspect to it, it may improve your mind but it's not free, there are some groups who rush you through the grades just to make the club look good and maybe make some cash where as others will not put you up for grading untill you are properly ready, I know this is true as I have a mate who's kids go to karate and the difference between clubs at competitions is there to be seen.

I agree with what you say but Some will always see the belts as a status symbol which I'm sure is not how it's meant to be seen.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah be carefull, this I work with took her son to a Karate lesson thingy, but they would not let him try it first they wanted ~£350 for a year. I think thats crazy the lad might get bored of it after a month. So look for somewhere with free inductions or something if I was you.

I used to do Judo bit of a crap martial art (If is is one) cant hit anyone, just about tripping people over lol, but that was only £2.50 a go a few years back. But did keep me pretty fit.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i do tai jutsu (a form of ju jitsu) and have done for a year and so does my son its great im only a yellow belt but its great fun and hard work. The fighting is more real world in our form and has lots of self defence tecniques too and now knife and bow work nunchaks will follow in higher gradings and my son has done 2 competitions the 1st in dunstable where he was robbed and the second in leeds where he became national champ for his size in groundfighting

Thanks
    Karma Level

I recently bumped into an old workmate who is doing ju jitsu, he said they were doing gradings till end of the month but to drop in after then to have a look, what does ju jitsu involve, from what he was telling me they have pretty much full contact where he goes, sounds like fun and if it gets me fit in the precess all the better.