Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help My FTP download speed problem

Hi,

I have recently been upgraded to TW 10meg and decided to create a small ftp server using bulletproofFTP.
    I only have around 6 close friends using this server with only 1 or 2 max online at anyone time

My friends have been complaining about slow downloads from the ftp server which is setup on my PC
    SPEC= 2ghz p4 1gb DDR Dual channel,TW 10gb connection,running to my PC through the ethernet cable through a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless B router,the wireless router is feeding another PC in my daughters room who only uses it for msn chat.
    I have just upgraded the firmware on the router and ran a broadband optimiser proggie.

I then ran a broadband speedtest which came back at 750kbs for a 1meg file download.

my friend who is also on TW 10meg and shares the same TW Exchange is DL from my FTP at a maximum of 40kbs

So i think i loosing alot of bandwidth somewhere

anyone suggest anything iam missing or is this the best i can expect

regards

furrry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: My FTP download speed problem

On all broadband packages you get a theoretical maximum upload and download speed. The 10meg download speed is the speed you get to download from other sites. Your upload speed is different, on the telewest i think that you get 384k upload speed which should mean you can upload at a theoretical maximum of 48kbs. Your friends can only take the information from your ftp at the maximum speed your computer can give it to them so the 40k your friends are getting is about the fastest you can hope for.

I'm sure someone else can probably give a better description but I hope that helps