Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default strange issue with monitor display and icons changing any ideas?

Ok windows xp sp2 latest hotfixes etc.

I turn on the pc tonight and find that the monitor is really dull did not display any message at all could not see usual bios flash that comes with asus k8n board through to getting to windows desktop.

Did not install any software to my knowledge since last shutdown and restart. Yesterday I did install latest winzip but apart from that nothing been installed other than iso buster for last month easily and both pieces of software got from respective websites.

I have shutdown and restarted several times though after software installed with no issues.

Now here is where it gets weird, monitor display is displaying error about frequency and log on part is bearly visable so I figure it must just be refresh rates etc so try dropping it made no difference screen goes black and then get frequency error from monitor. So couple of shutdowns and restarts later I try for latest graphic card drivers for ati radeon 9550 and this cures it in terms of being able to now see monitor however now I am looking down on my quick launch bar and all the icons have been changed completly. I got the windows help icon question mark for yahoo messenger and i have windows explorer type page for desktop icon and the browse icon for windows explorer etc.

I have symantec anti virus and it was set to enabled and I run adaware and spybot regular and nothing found.

Anyone got any ideas as to what has happened here?

One thing that I have noticed of late is the board comes with firewall and something else i forget and i have that option and windows firewall turned on but keep getting which option do i want the boards firewall alone or windows firewall alone or both happening at least 3 or 4 times a week. Could be something could be nothing.

I wondered if you guys / gals new of anything going about that may have done this ? Or maybe you have seeen this happen in past?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: strange issue with monitor display and icons changing any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by gandalf72
    I turn on the pc tonight and find that the monitor is really dull did not display any message at all could not see usual bios flash that comes with asus k8n board through to getting to windows desktop.
    If the problem is occuring at POST as you say, then it isn't a Windows issue.

Try either another monitor or another graphics card (whichever you have to hand), because the problem is down to either one of those two components.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi thanks for the reply to compound things being strange turned on pc this morning and everything back to normal well bizarrre.

One thing that i dont think i said was when I was trying to adjust monitor brightness it would not let me go any other brightness setting than middle or all way to top but neither made any difference as it was really dull at that and same for when i tried contrast as well.

I am thinking its hard ware issue but could not understand icons changing but this morning they are back to normal. just really bizarre.

I think if I was a betting man I would probably say card but both are less than or about 1 year old max but not got receipts for either so I am up the kyber on that front anyway.

Cheers for reply though much appreciated.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech Re: strange issue with monitor display and icons changing any ideas?

sometimes you just get quirks like this , eg this morning I swapped a graphics card out and the Pc would power up , strange as I should get a BIOS error at least , I checked all jumpers and nothing ... checked cables .. al fine ... went thru the usual checklist ... still no go . Then weh i came back to it after an hour i pressed power on and it worked a treat like normal ... strange .....

MORAL : Sometimes stuff like this just happens and you never get an explanation .... :tongue

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol i no what your saying but since then my pc has decided to switch itself off with no explanation in event logs this afternoon. Could be coincedence but could be something else as well.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech Re: strange issue with monitor display and icons changing any ideas?

Like they say in "Star Wars " , never underestimate the power of a reboot ....