Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Anyone with experience with network drives (specifically the freecom ones)

Has anyone used a freecom network drive, one of these :

http://www.freecom.com/ecProduct_det...rk+Drive+80+GB

Is it possible to upgrade them, swap the current disc out and put in a larger one ?

Do they work with xmbc ?

If not freecom ones, are there any others that are upgradable and work with xbmc ?
    Download my latest breaks and electro mixes or listen to Sellout Breaks FM

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Anyone with experience with network drives (specifically the freecom ones)

XBMC needs to be pointed to a destination (IP address) - this device does not hold one and is seen on the network by software installed on each machine, you could attach it to a PC and share the drive out to so XMBC can see it:

Does Classic SL Network Drive have an IP address?Answer :
    Classic SL Network Drive does not use IP Addressing and does not run TCP/IP. NDAS- Network Direct Attached Storage is designed to run with lower overhead and eliminates the need for a processor. In turn, this makes speeds much faster and your data more secure.

Do I have to install Classic SL Network Drive software on all my computers?Answer :
    Any computer that will access Classic SL Network Drive in NDAS (Ethernet) mode will need to have our software installed. USB does NOT require any drivers to be installed unless you are using Windows98SE.

I've got Linksys Network Storage Link (quick details below) with 2x250gb usb drives attached (it can take 2x300gb max) - some people report it runs slow but I've upgraded to the latest firmaware with no problems and it works with XMBC, for more information:

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article85.php
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-linux/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-general/

Linksys details:
    Easily Add Storage Space to Your Network

Now you can quickly and easily add gigabytes of storage space onto your network with the Network Storage Link from Linksys. This tiny network appliance connects USB 2.0 hard drives directly to your Ethernet network. You can connect up to two stand-alone USB disk drives of any size, and access them from anywhere on your network. You can even plug a USB flash disk into the Network Storage Link, for a convenient way of accessing your portable data files. The Network Storage Link can also be set up so that your storage devices are accessible from the Internet -- files can be easily downloaded via your web browser. Your files can be available publicly, or create password-protected accounts for authorized users.

Installation of the Network Storage Link is simple -- just plug it directly into your 10/100 Ethernet network, and attach your USB 2.0 hard drives or flash disk. It can self-configure to your network via DHCP or you can use the built-in utility to manually configure it. With the speedy USB 2.0 interface, you'll get quick response times with even your largest files.

The Network Storage Link features built-in disk utilities, accessible through your web browser. You can format new disk drives, and scan drives for errors. The built-in backup program lets you schedule full, incremental, or synchronization backups of your network drives to the Network Storage Link, or vice versa. It will even send you an email message when a hard drive gets nearly full, completely full, or has an error.

The Network Storage Link is a fast, simple, flexible and economical way to add storage to your network.

• Connects USB 1.1 or 2.0 disk drives and flash disks directly to your network
    • Share music, video, or data files with managed access by user name or group
    • Integrated file server -- access your files from the Internet
    • Built-in disk utilities -- format, backup, and scandisk
    ~ FECK OFF ~
    Irish Connection

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Anyone with experience with network drives (specifically the freecom ones)

Thanks, I'd prefer an all in one unit, I currently have a external firewire case that has room for another 2 disc's (if I can find another ide->firewire bridge card for it) but it's really noisy (could be solved with a new AT psu), and it means I have to have the laptop on for it to work.
    Download my latest breaks and electro mixes or listen to Sellout Breaks FM