Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SnowBoarding

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default SnowBoarding

Hi Guys,

A bit of advice needed I have booked to go snowboarding on the 7th of January for a week.

I can stay on a skateboard without falling off and have done a bit of ice climbing in scotland and completed a mountain leader course but thats about all my snow related experience comes to.

We are hiring the gear boots / board, I've bought 1 pair of snowboard pants (1 pair more needed I think)

I'm going for a few lessons this month to grasp the basics.

Is there any do's and don'ts when learning? any advice would be great

Cheers

AJ
    "The cream has floated to the top" - Midnight_Toker on his work fantasy football team's recent form 08.11.06

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: SnowBoarding

Look up and not at your board/feet. Read a book on it. It ain't hard but is not as like skateboarding as you think as you are strapped in and the board is a lot longer.

Buy some wristguards. Dakine ones are good. Do not ignore this piece of advice as you could end up wasting half your holiday with a tendon fucked or a broken wrist. You can get em for a tenner or so on ebay and are the best thing you will buy. Take a shitload of ibuprofen with you as you will ache like a bastard after a day or so from falling over and stuff.

Go to Castleford and get some training there before you go.

Where are you going? I wouldn't buy any more strides but would invest in some long johns and some thermal t shirts. Your pants will dry out over night if they get wet but that is down to conditions anyway. Temperatures can hit below -20 degrees so think about layering up and buy some decent gloves but don't go for wristguard ones as you are better buying separate as the wristguards go on under your gloves.

Learn to land on your arse without sticking your arms out. They will teach you all that anyway if you do lessons.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well just bought me Wrist protectors from the ebay shop, we are going to France - Avoriaz. OB1 booked it so will blame him if theres no College/Uni girls out on the piste for the evening

Just having a browse through the web for some info on learning it for the first time.

I've got the helly hanson thermals from way back when i used to enjoy the great outdoors so I haven't grown to much so they should still fit. Need some goggles any difference between the makes? cebe - any good?

Also i've herd lifts can be a b*atard to get on?
    "The cream has floated to the top" - Midnight_Toker on his work fantasy football team's recent form 08.11.06

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lifts are easy mate. Just keep your front foot in and take it easy when you get off. Practice pushing the board round with your front foot strapped in like you would with a skateboard and you should be alright. That bit is like skating. Ask them to slow the lift down when you get there. Most resorts will do this and will stop you getting some fucker in your back if you fall over. Same with getting on. Get them to slow it down for you.

My other advice would be to go to Cheshire Oaks and have a look at the Helly shop and the other ski shops on there for cheap stuff. Its not far from you. I would advise that you get some decent thick long socks that come higher than your boots will so you don't get the top of your socks biting your leg where the boot is on your calf.

Keep yer knees bent and your eyes where you want to go and you should do alright. There are some reasonable books out there that you can usually get cheap. Have a look in those cheap book shops and you should find something. It is hard to learn to balance yourself on an edge but it starts to come naturally after a couple of hours practice.

I got some Scott goggles but my mate swears by Oakley. See which ones fit best and try and get polarised if you can afford them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Can't wait to go now, think i'm ready to make the step up from the tea tray and the stairs now

Cheshire oaks is good idea best go soon as all the good stuff will be going before xmas.

so is it fleece hats and down jackets for the evening attire?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Take some decent boots with you as it can get a bit slushy round the resorts and a decent coat if your boarding jacket is no use for evening wear. TK Maxx have got some good O Neill and Quiksilver snowboarding gear that would be alright for night time as well. Be quick though. I got a new Quiksilver jacket the other day for 50 quid and it is mint and down from 130.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would add, use a decent pair of mittens instead of gloves, its easier to take off the mittens and unclip your board than it is with some gloves. Its also safer as your fingers are less likely to get broken in soft snow. Take goggles AND sunglasses, use sunglasses if it aint snowing and goggles if it is. Thats all I recall atm
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Got some Karrimor ksb's they should do fine for milling around in. Have a couple of gor-tex jackets which should be enough.

What type of hours are we talking for a full days worth of boarding? whats the norm?

Is there much difference in lenth of the snowboards like you have with ski's?

Me mates been to a few lessons on the dry slop in runcorn and he has come back black and blue aching all over - I take this is usual or is he just sh*te

Thanks
    Karma Level

8am till dark for me mate. Lunch of about an hour.

Board length is based on your weight. Mine is a 162 and my wifes is a 155.

The pain is usual. You fall over a lot and you are bending and stretching muscles you don't use a lot hence why I would take some ibuprofen. Good resorts have hot pools which are good for easing aching muscles.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just for the record, me and a few mates went to Avimore (sp?) well near there actually, for a weekend to give it a try, no lessons or anything. It was a bit of a drag walking up the hill each time cause we could'nt use the button pulls. We then went to Soll in Austria the following year and got the hang of it very quickly but still couldnt get the hang of the pulls, but that was okay as there were plenty of chairlifts. 2 years on we went to Chamonix in France and we were going down the black runs like maniacs. As you like your skateboarding you will have a good sense of balance and that will give you a good head start, altho I know it will be different. I would say snowboarding is very easy to pick up and if I were you I'd start saving cause once you got the bug you will go again and again
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

Thanks
    Karma Level

make sure you drink plenty of water, I use a camelpak everyday whilst on the slope. The altitude dehydrates you quickly.

Most of all enjoy it, don't get stressy when it all goes wrong one afternoon, stop, think, go slow and it will all come together again. Oh and no matter how much fun the park or pipe look, avoid then in your first few weeks. Leran to turn, stop and control the baord before going balls out. I have two avi's of really good snowbaording video's, I don't have anywhere to uploard them, but happy to post them to you.
    My Kit - A camera thingy or two, some lenses, two eye's and a heap of imagination.
    My Websites - My Flickr :: My Blog :: My Site

Thanks
    Karma Level

I used to go snowboarding once or twice a year up aviemore, and i was starting to get good as well, then i broke my knee/both ankles in close succession (due to some drunken dancing). Have been too scared to get back on the board since then in case i re-break meself.

However, this thread has just about convinced me to get back on the slope....only problem is that now my shoe size is 14. Will it still be possible to get boots etc. that fit???

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tammer
    However, this thread has just about convinced me to get back on the slope....only problem is that now my shoe size is 14. Will it still be possible to get boots etc. that fit???
    You may have trouble renting tammer. Did you used to rent or own some? The good thing about rentals is that they would be in pretty good nick due to the lack of use and abuse that a siz 8 or 9 would get by punters.

Always good to buy your own as the variety of fit found in the different manufacturers is phenomenal. I have wide feet and have got some K2s which are ideal, can't remember the model but got em in Canada where everything is cheap due to the exchange rate..

Thanks
    Karma Level

The major hurdle when learning is overcoming the fear of the fall line, the point when the board is heading straight downhill and traveling at it's fastest, a point that must be passed through when turning from left to right or vice versa. It leads to a common mistake where beginners put the board on an edge too early in the turn, before it has passed through the fall line in an attempt to slow themselves down, which in turn leads to the board continuing in the original direction while their body goes in the other, soon followed by a face/arse plant. I'm sure you'll see what I mean when you get out there.

If you find you're not picking it up as easy as others, persevere with it. You may find that it takes 3 or 4 days for things to "click", when they do and you start linking your turns you won't want to stop.

Don't worry about looking stupid falling over either, everyone does it, and if they don't they're not trying hard enough. :banana4

You'll need to know which foot you lead with when you hire the board, but as you've skateboarded before you probably know already. Leading with the left foot is "regular", leading with the right is "goofy".

Oh, and remember to take some high factor sun cream and lip balm, unless you like the crispy bacon look.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammer
    only problem is that now my shoe size is 14. Will it still be possible to get boots etc. that fit???
    Size 14 !!!!!! Do you actually need a snowboard.
    Spoiler:

Yes, you can get size 14 boots.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Avoriaz is cool. I go every year to morzine or les gets which is just down the road from avoriaz.

Get yourself over the Xscape or the snowdome and get a few lessons as you'll enjoy the holiday much more that way.

If your doing well by the end of the week you should be able to board over to Champery in switerland and back in a day, stop for lunch in switerland then head back. Take your passport with you though as they may check it when you cross the boarder.

Morzine has the better night life (go to the buddha bar) but your'll need someone to drive you down there and back though. Morzine also has a strip club!

Oh and avoriaz is a car free zone and you get round the village by horse and sleigh so make sure you always have some euros on you.

I was out there same time last year and its a cracking time to go as its so quiet and snow is usually good. I wont be out next year till march Dammit and I've just bought new skis too!!!

Oh and don't worry about the button lifts, I don't think I've used one in the past 5 years in france as every run will now have a super fast chairlift. There is a button lift for the halfpipe and sno park in avoriaz but if your hitting them the lift will be the least of your worries!
    Last edited by jayc; 6th December 2005 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi there AJ_007,

Your friend Cyprus gave me a link to this page.
    If your going away id make sure you have some protective equipment with you. Arse protection if your a beginner, along with the wrist guards you have purchased.
    Snowboard school is well worth it if you havent tried it before, stops you teaching yourself bad habits. Id invest in some before you go and then a refresher while your out there. Its harder to learn on dry but much more beneficial, once you can balance and turn on dry you should have no problems on snow. You should be able to make a decent saving by booking it with one of the ski schools out there before you go. Dont worry too much about your ability, it comes really quickly when your doing it all day, and then as someone said before....the fear factor of letting the board go straight is the next step. If your going with friends, its probably the best way to learn and you should have a great laugh while doing so.
    ESF are the best from my experience and teach in avoriaz and morzine/les gets.
    Also, once you find your feet avoriaz has some amazing off piste, so make sure you buy a avalanche tranciever. (about £10-15) The resort now also hires out GPRS sets on a weekly basis which you probably wont need but are a great gadget for getting between runs off piste.
    One final note, make sure your travel insurance covers off piste activity and that the lift pass you buy includes the additional fee for mountain rescue. (Basically means your covered by the resort insurance for an air lift down the mountain should you ever need it) about an extra 10 euros. You shouldnt need it, but well worth it considering the airlift costs a few thousand pounds if you havent added it onto your lift pass.

Hope that helps, impressed with the good advice already given.
    Anything else feel free to get in touch

Dirty

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think it's pretty unlikely you'll be going off piste on your first ever week in the mountains so i wouldn't really worry about that. There'll be easily enough runs to keep you occupied for a week and you probably wont be able to handle off piste in your first week.

As you've hired gear, you'll probably find your feet will ache a bit as it takes a while for boots to mould to your foot shape. And if the boots have been used alot before then they'll already be moulded to someone else. Hence take some thick socks.
    Make sure you bring decent sunscreen, if the sun comes out it reflects off everything white (i.e the whole fecking resort) and your face will literally cook. One girl didnt use any and had to go to the doctors as she had blisters over her whole face that stuck out about 2 cm (no joke) and your face will leak yellow fluid for the rest of the holiday which dry's, crusts up and makes you look like you're a leper.

Best way to measure what length board you should have is to stand next to it. It should come up to your chin.

Wrist guards are a must, especially for a beginner as you'll be picking yourself up all the time for the first couple of days and they'll take a battering.

I used to skate aswell, and had 2 lessons in the snowdome before i went for a week. By the end of the week i was hammering it down red runs as fast as i could go.

As for evenings, as someone said, the resort will get slushy. Bring plenty of underwear as i found wearing loads of layers and sprinting around all day you sweat like a bitch, so you'll need two pairs a day at least, same with socks (sound like a mum now)

You'll only need 1 pair of snowboard trousers.

I wouldnt recommend wearing sunglasses get some goggles. Goggles are strapped to your head so when you take them off they hang round your neck. Sunglasses dont and you have to put them down and remember people are pikeys. My £100 oakleys got nicked when i put them down. And googles look cooler anyway

I found sunglasses kept misting up too where as decent goggles dont.

Remember to drink loads of water and energy based things. You'll be absolutely shattered. When i was there i was up at 7.30, slopes at 8, back at 7, pubs from 8-4am then back up at 7.30. You'll need the energy.

Thats all i can think of at the mo, hope its useful

EDIT: One more thing, watch out for kids. They're lethal. Kids learning to ski that have helmets twice as big as their heads. They just go in a dead straight line, hands at their sides, at about 50mph. If you get in the way they go through you. Be warned!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't go off piste in your first week snowboarding no matter how well you pick it up. There have already been 2 avalanche deaths this season in the alps and we have only just started. Off piste is for experienced riders not beginners.

Most lifts in avoriaz open 8.30 till 4.30pm at the start of the season as the light is poor. By feb and march they will be open 8am till 5.30.

ESF is the way to go but they are pricey. At least in early season you should be able to get some lessons with them without phoning in advance.

No need to worry about kids when your going. They will all be at school, well except wednesday when the local schools come out to ski.

Thanks
    Karma Level

get a piece of string about 2 meters long and tie each end to one of your gloves. push one glove down each arm of your jacket (from the inside). that way if you take your gloves off and drop them they'll magicly hang down by your wrists...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Home made mittens, lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast