Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Help! How to throttle bandwidth

Hiya all,

I'm having a few issues with badnwidth probelsm in our shared house, it is really difficult to manage the upload of everyones pcs and as a result download speeds are really suffering. And as I'm paying for the mojority of it I'm starting to get a little annoyed by it.

We have our network setup so that everyones pc has the adsl router as the gateway. What I was wondering (I know a little about networks but not a great deal so this may sound like rubbish) is whether I can set up a pc with two network cards in it and attach it to the network with some sort of windows/linux bandwidth throttling software. All the pcs on the network, bar my own , would have their gateway set as one of the network cards of the new pc. The 2nd network card on the pc would then have its gateway set to point at the router. I could then install some sort of throttling software on the pc to manage the bandwidth of everyone involved and leave my bandwidth untouched. Does this sound like it would work or is there a much easier way of doing it? I suppose i could just have the pc between everyone on the network and the router if i could find a piece of simple software to throttle on ip addresses or ranges.

Does anyone know of some small linux or windows app that would allow me to do this? I know netlimiter does this type of thing but i dont think you can specify it to throttle certain ip addresses or ranges?

Cheers in advance
    Flamingo

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Help! How to throttle bandwidth

You could use netlimiter on the specific PCs.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i told people in the house that if they use all the upload bandwidth their download speeds really suffer so i suggested to people they use netlimiter, the only issue with that is people can quite easily control it themselves, i would prefer a way i can regulate the bandwidth rather than leaving it up to people to be trustworthy and only upload a little bit (which doesn't happen). It is difficult to explain to a group of people that even though you can download at fast speeds, using 7 or 8k a second to upload when there are 9 of us sharing the connection is quite excessive considering it is a standard 2048/256 connection!

thanks for the incredibly fast reply tho!

flamingo

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.draytek.co.uk/

i have a draytek 2600plus and it allows you to cap both upload and download on each of the 4 built in network ports.

by far the most affective and simplest method of dealing with bandwidth whores...... you might also take the stance that if people sharing the line can only afford to give 10% of the rental then they get 10% of the speed.
    soon see them finding the extra cash when they cant help themsevles to other people kbps.......

Thanks
    Karma Level

that sounsd like a cracking idea MaxP, i'll ahve to see how much they retail at.
    At the moment I've gone down the route of a pc with 2 network cards in, setup with xp and internet connection sharing with everyones pc using it as the default gateway. Seems to wok alright at the moment although I need to find some bandwidth managing software, the stuff i have now runs out on 30 days

Thanks
    Karma Level

im trying to do something like this for 2 computers, 1 is used for mainly downloads and it kills the bandwidth on the other if the net is being used, with netlimiter can i seperate the bandwidth for example i have an 8mb connection, can i set 60% to one computer and 40% to the other?
    if so is it easy to do?

thanks
    sorry to hijak your thread.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by theodotcom
    im trying to do something like this for 2 computers, 1 is used for mainly downloads and it kills the bandwidth on the other if the net is being used, with netlimiter can i seperate the bandwidth for example i have an 8mb connection, can i set 60% to one computer and 40% to the other?
    if so is it easy to do?

thanks
    sorry to hijak your thread.
    If you install NetLimiter on the PC you are using to download then you can throttle the D/L speed to a level you want which should give you the rest of the bandwidth on the other.

I don't think that you would need to run it on both if you are just browsing and stuff on the other although you could if you wanted to.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for the info

Thanks
    Karma Level

well, i seem to have got the pc working and everyones computers now connect to the internet through that but im still looking for some kind of bandwidth managing on the pc. does anyone know if netlimiter allows me to limit bandwidth (i know it does for application on the pc) but how about the other pcs usin it as a gateway to the internet?