Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default the mint with the hole

on further consideration my fiesta buying plans have been buggered cos the new style ones are too pricey and the old style ones are for old ladies, so i am looking at polos

my mum likes golfs and is on her second one now (had a mk2 and a mk4) and its the car i am currently insured to drive

any points to note on polos? looking at around V reg, at which point there was a change of body style/model. the older model seems to be muchly cheaper to insure (£1100 for a 1.4 16V old style, £1500 for a 1.4 8V newish style) and i cant afford the really new ones so they arent really important

anyone got one? do they work? there is a V reg old style 1.4 16v in dundee just now for £3000 but my parents say its too far away for the warranty and stuff, the warranty is just 6 months and dundee is just down the road but i guess they have a point.

its pretty much down to this or the fabia now which i'd assume to be very similar however i prefer the looks of the polo and to some extent i just like the VW badge

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: the mint with the hole

to further my point on insurance, fuck knows but the one i was looking at is definitly not being bought cos its registered as a 8V but it is a 16V and the BHP value they give is totally fictional. gonna watch out for that one. the insurance on the 1.4 16V could be anything cos i dont know what the hell they were quoting on before.

i found a company that will insure a 1.4 normal one for £900 because i have 1 years no claims as a named driver, which they take into consideration. quinn-direct, seems pretty ace. there is one just up the road which i think i'm gonna look at on saturday. listed as £3495 which for this area isnt bad, considering its below average mileage. plus i have cash and no tradeins or finance to worry about so i can hopefully haggle that down a bit.

i would like to know if anyone likes or dislikes them? i'm hoping the garage will let me test drive it, hopefully they'll have adequate insurance because a lot of them you need to be 21 or whatever for test drives but that is maybe just high performance cars

cheers in advance,

twoplanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

have u tried elephant online, they're pretty good for first time drivers.
    Losing Gracefully Since September 2010

Thanks
    Karma Level

Your Price is £1367.10 from elephant. nothing is gonna beat £900, three figures for a new male driver is almost unheard of in any car really (unless you get a 600cc Matiz or something)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Which insurance company was it that quoted you £900...?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPlAnKs
    £900 because i have 1 years no claims as a named driver, which they take into consideration. quinn-direct

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by matt1chelski
    what he said, quinn direct

Thanks
    Karma Level

we went and looked at cars this afternoon

found a 5 door green polo 1400 that i had been looking at on autotrader and its nae bad except it was rusty, made a funny noise at 3000 revs, cost more than the parkers value for a good example of that car and the clutch biting point was really high so that was gonna cause problems

we did also try another one which was a 3 door also green 1.4 and it was much better, proper clutch proper everything but one of the brakes was fucked. they do however redo all the brakes before they sell them so i dont care much about that. it did have a dodgy rusty panel right at the bottom under the engine, the one under the numberplate. my parents think that it might be off an older model after hitting a high kerb or something but i think it might just be random that that panel happens to have gone first. anyone got any ideas?

we also test drove a corsa, totally different class of car. felt like going from a rolls royce to a push bike. i learned in a new style corsa but the old style one was just dodgy. also the only car i mangaged to stall today which suprised me since stalling is something i do far too often, espeically in my mums golf made by the same folk as the polos

anyway i need to be thinking about it now, but the three door decent polo is seeming very tempting

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPlAnKs
    Your Price is £1367.10 from elephant. nothing is gonna beat £900, three figures for a new male driver is almost unheard of in any car really (unless you get a 600cc Matiz or something)
    I was a new male driver and I got £570 on a 1.1 Fiesta from Tesco. Its all about shoping around
    All sweeping statements are wrong.