Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question 2 computers : 1 pc and one laptop : best way to network and control from laptop

I have a tower system upstairs 1.3 GHz Athlon ( just about to buy a pci wireless card for it ) which is idle most of the time and a laptop ( which I use all the time ). Whats the best way I can use my laptop to get access to me pc upstairs with full control over it ? . I want me tower system to be left on all the time and d/l stuff ( has 500GB of hdd's as storage on it ) and log into it and "control" it from me laptop .

What progs / apps do you recommend I use to gain full control from me laptop and are there any usefull sites around I can use that will give me sum hellpfull info how to set it up ?

Tower upstairs has XP pro installed and laptop has media center 2005 on it . Would i be better putting media center 2005 on me tower and streaming me movies / music from there ( Xbox 360 in the house also with wireless adapter fitted ) or wont me tower be upto the job , bearing in mind its just a 1.3 Athlon ?

Cheers for the input

k

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 2 computers : 1 pc and one laptop : best way to network and control from laptop

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 2 computers : 1 pc and one laptop : best way to network and control from laptop

just remote desktop into it. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...moteintro.mspx

like being at the machine.

then just use filesharing to open and stream yer stuff (or does media center have some special crap to do that, dunno?). 1.3ghz is more than enough for a file server, and there wont be issues streaming, yer lappy will do most of the work, eg playing the files etc.

just make sure yer network is up to streaming.. if its wireless, best be g/54mbs so theres no stalling or blips while streaming.. dunno how well a/b handle streaming ive only got g equipment. if its wired, itll be fine.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers for the info both of you and links, me wireless router is one of them 108Mbps jobs and ill be putting a 108Mbps pci card in the tower. Me lappy has 54Mbps wireless built in.
    Ill give it a go once me pci card turns up.

thx

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

now why would u wanna install that shite when using 2 xp machines that use rdp which does a far superior job.

Thanks
    Karma Level

ultravnc is crap, radmin2.2 is good, if only i could find a working crack

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks guys

thread closed

Thanks
    Karma Level

thread opened. dan ive a working 2.1 if your interested.. dunno if theres much change beteween the .2