Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default brick/cavity/brick or brick/cavity/block

Hi chaps,

I have a dilemma. I am about to build a single storey extension and am thinking of building brick/cavity/brick rather then the normal brick/cavity/breeze block wall. I have been told that the breeze blocks generally crack and and aren't as durable. Can any builders on the forum give me their recomendations. Would the brick/cavity/brick wall be more durable and an overall better job.

what should I do ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: brick/cavity/brick or brick/cavity/block

all depends on how cheap you want the job done block works out cheaper than brick but new eec regulations which will be coming in a few years are now requesting block to be laid on their flat to conform with heat and energy saving as well as trying to put forward the energy savings of timber framed house's. Imo i would go with what the rest of the house is built with as planning might insist that you keep in charecter with the rest of the building

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers terrysmr2,

The rest of the house is built with brick but in a nine inch blockwall type wall, that would be my wall of choice but i don't think building control will allow that any more due to energy issues.

Thanks
    Karma Level

should be ok as long as the right cavityand insulation is used best bet is to phone your local council and ask to speak to building control they should be very helpful

Thanks
    Karma Level

Whoever said breeze blocks etc arent as durable are talking bollocks they are fine and that is why they are specified for the task and have been for years, or does your mate know something that the entire building & construction industry dont??
    Use thermalite blocks they have much much better thermal propertys than brick and use a 65mm cavity slab insulation or if you can afford a bit more go for 50mm kingspan. If you get a decent brickie they wont crack and fall apart maybe some of the really old built stuff like 1930's cinder block come across a bit shit but that was mainly down to bad cement in those days it was all mostly Lime Sand Mortar which when damp can go very soft indeed. With todays portland cements there is no such deteriation. My advice to you would be to spend more money on a decent plasterer and get it done in what you call "Wet Work" which means plastering the base coat in browning/bonding mixed wrather than shitty dry lining or you may know it as dot and dab, I am a plasterer/builder by trade and I will only use dot and dab in a situation where there is nothing going to be fixed to the wall as its shit for fixing to and doesnt really make your walls any stronger where as if you have it all floated first then skimmed it will add to the strength of your wall drastically. Also provided your block is properly tied to the brick work you will have no problems mate.

Thanks
    Karma Level

breeze block are a great insulator I agree, BUT...... you try hanging a mirror or picture on the fuuker, and you end up with more holes than a round of golf
    Before you say it, use proper fixings in the real world bricks are harder stronger and more versatile than a crumbly biscuit.

And for fuuks sake dont dry line the fuuker.PROBLEMS..............

SO my advice.. SOLID BRICK [ ]CAVITY INSULATION..[SOLID BRICK ]

JUST DO IT..........
    sorry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bollocks
    There are more alternatives nowadays than bloody breeze block when you say breeze block you mean a crumbly old coal based block but there are such things as "Fibolite" block cheaper than thermalite heavier but still light weight made from arieted concrete that is fibre reinforced they are solid as a brick but light and very warm. B/C/B is stepping back into the early 19000's man!