Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help new pc needed for family member - advice needed please

Ok my cousin is asking me to make him a "top spec, money no object" PC system.

While i'm certainly capable of the task having built all my own and several other PC's I really don't want to do this particular one - he's the sort of bloke that will be round 3 weeks after I build it complaining that a faster processor is available and why didn't i put it in his pc, or that something else was cheaper and can he have a refund etc... (why doesn't my limewire/bit-torrent/winmx or whatever other crap he's currently running don't work have been his main help requests over the last few months - oh and it was of course my fault when BT had a fault on his line)

So I'm planning on just pointing him in the direction of someone like Mesh for one of their top systems with all the toys and the onsite warranty etc (he's prepared to pay for it and it'll same me a lot of ear-ache )

Anyone got any recommendations for such a system?

Also it's been a while since I built my last system (with AMD64 3500+ CPU) that the CPU market seems very very complicated right now - lots of different models and no real comparison info available.

I'd guess that one of the new dual core AMD chips like the X2-4800+ would be the best option (performance wise)- am I right in this?

He mainly wants it as as his work pc to run office/payrol type applications plus some autocad stuff like Architectural Desktop 2006 etc, but also for a bit of downloading/more general pc use. (he's giving his old pc to the kids to play with to keep them away from his new toy when he gets it)

Any help/advice gratefully received,

Cheers

Northernbloke

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: new pc needed for family member - advice needed please

Quote Originally Posted by Northernbloke
    Ok my cousin is asking me to make him a "top spec, money no object" PC system.
    Is he sure about the "money no object"?
    I have just done one for a customer (using an FX-60 chip), it cost him just short of £5000 in total (and that was just the tower alone).

If your cousin is up for throwing £5K at a tower then I'll trawl through the paperwork and list the hardware, but I somehow suspect that your cousin won't want to spend anywhere near this amount.
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: new pc needed for family member - advice needed please

He's a builder by trade m8 - his own business.

Recently blew over £10k on a massive sony flatscreen, had it couple of months, then flogged it for 8k to buy a different one. Goes thru cash like i go thru alcohol LOL

Will see what he says - i'd been pricing a few systems up i thought would do the job for him and they were coming out around £3k