Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help invoice from staff

As a few of you probably know me and my partner have just taken over a hair salon(name still to be decided lol) we have 2 stlylists "working for us"
    now then when, they worked for the previous owners all they did were invoice them for the amount of hours they'd done etc to get their wage and then they were responsible for paying their own tax & NI. We would like to keep this going as it would be beneficial to us i.e no holiday pay, no maternity leave etc. So I was just wondering the best way to do it? should I print them some invoices off and let them just fill them in? also does anybody have any sort of invoice template I could use to do this?
    I know I might be asking a bit much here guys but any help is much appreciated!! thanks.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: invoice from staff

I would make up time sheets on Excel or something, telling the number of hours they worked. I would proably just buy an invoice book and just fill it out accordingly. As its easier that way. So you'll have a copy and so will they. Its all done through ink paper

If you wanted to be fancy you could make up an invoice on word or publisher or something. But be sure to make yourself a copy for tax and audit reasons.

Large firms use massive printers and print off three invoices at a time, i would stick with the invoice book as it will be harder to contest if your employee try and pull a fast one.
    I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I am Perfect!!! :thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Let them invoice you every week then pay them by cheque. Then you both have the paperwork you need for Mr Tax person. You don't have to make them invoices as this is extra cost to yourself. They should already be set up with their invoices and their own tax payments already. Just make sure you make a note of their individual hours and they add up each week so nobody tries a fast one!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave007
    Let them invoice you every week then pay them by cheque. Then you both have the paperwork you need for Mr Tax person. You don't have to make them invoices as this is extra cost to yourself. They should already be set up with their invoices and their own tax payments already. Just make sure you make a note of their individual hours and they add up each week so nobody tries a fast one!
    Sound advice that + all above board as you will have bank records of the cheques going out.

As said keep a record of day/hours worked then when it comes to payday give them a cheque and make a note of the cheque number against the the person for ease of any monies debate.
    "The cream has floated to the top" - Midnight_Toker on his work fantasy football team's recent form 08.11.06

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just a quiry really, I assume they would be classed as self employed, would they need to have their own liabilty insurance as well? I know the shop will have public liability but if they're self employed, would the shops public liability cover anyone waking up with pink hair or head shaved by mistake?
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

As far as I know aswell if they do more then 40% of there work for you they will be classed as your employees and will be entitled to all rights therein, I could be talking shit though
    All sweeping statements are wrong.

Thanks
    Karma Level

There is truth in what Cenus_ says. We were forced to take on lots of our subbies at one point. its worth checking out the law tho

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by burner1
    Just a quiry really, I assume they would be classed as self employed, would they need to have their own liabilty insurance as well? I know the shop will have public liability but if they're self employed, would the shops public liability cover anyone waking up with pink hair or head shaved by mistake?
    Yes they should have liability insurance if they are self employed as far as I remember the effected customer will sue the shop (public liability) and the shops insurance will take action on the contractors liability. (happened to a mate of mine!)

Like Cenus said, they are classed as employees if they work about 40% but I know of self employed people who do 99% of their work for one employer and haven't had any problems from the tax man for years!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the replies so far guys thats a great help, you've got my mind ticking over weather I ought to risk it or not now though ????????

Thanks
    Karma Level

If I was you Andy, I would risk it. The IR will advise you when the time comes around mate! Good Luck!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive been working self employed for the last 3 years almost, I dodnt know about thte 40% rule hmm could be interesting.

It is their responsibility to invoice you so let them do it. The incentive is that if they dont give you an invoice they dont get paid. Keep a note of when they work times ect so they cant pull a fast one as sugested. I am required to get a job sheet signed by customers I visit for the company i sub contract for so I cant rip them off. I have forgotten some times but they have paid up. for you your shop manager should be keeping a log of when they are working dont forget lunch hours and breaks I dont get paid if I take them and the job sheets have a spot for the customer to make comments if i take breaks.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

i agree with john, getting the form signed with hours on end of each day / week will then make obsolete anyone trying to a pull a fast one with hours.
    Or setting a clcok machine where they clock in and out both for work and breaks could be set up to correspond with time sheet, depending on how many people in total you want working for you.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Bigdave has it about right, there ARE new regs regarding part time staff and holiday pay which you need to check into. I think it's a pretty minimul requirement though.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Why don't U just rent them the chairs by the day or half day?
    Seems to be the way for established hairdressers round here.
    Did I ever tell you you're my hero?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by andy8519
    Thanks for the replies so far guys thats a great help, you've got my mind ticking over weather I ought to risk it or not now though ????????
    Just incase you were worrying whether they were self employed/employee have a wee look here.

HTH

Thanks
    Karma Level

I own a small company, many services provided to my clients requirements based on that to generate Invoice and I track my staff working hours in Timesheet. For Invoice and tracking activities use Apptivo software. Customize template created with my business choice and any changes easily done. Try to reach them.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by harryvent View Post
    I own a small company, many services provided to my clients requirements based on that to generate Invoice and I track my staff working hours in Timesheet. For Invoice and tracking activities use Apptivo software. Customize template created with my business choice and any changes easily done. Try to reach them.
    This is a ten year post bump I'm sure they sorted it by now.