Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Looking For IT Experience... Can You Help?

Hey guys,

I'm currently at a stage where I feel that academic education can only teach me so much. In order to further what I've learnt I would be really keen on some real industrial experience to put into practice what I know and to develop the skills that you can only get from hands-on work.

I left school with 6 GCSE Grade C and above – including Maths, English (2), Electronics and of course, ICT. I’m now currently enrolled on a BTEC National Diploma in IT Level 3 course of which I am nearly at the end of the first year. IT is a subject which I am always keen on learning new practices and methods and technologies.

I’ve already done a work experience placement last year. My main duty was to design a website, add the content and get it online. I also took part in day to day office administrative work. I can provide a glowing reference from the managers upon request.

I have a developing knowledge in an array of IT subjects including Networking, Programming and Web Development. I am fluent in the MS Office package and I understand the structure and utilisation of databases and spreadsheets.

Ideally I’m looking for a place of work that I will be able to view the day to day tasks of certain company roles and possibly even have the chance to be part of that working team.

I’m looking for this off my own back – I’ve spent enough time learning the theory and I wish to put what I know into practice as well as take on board skills from a working environment, with new tasks and roles. I’m up for pretty much anything and would love to be given a chance in the industry.

I live in the Croydon area – would not mind travelling around Surrey or even into London for a placement.

If there is anyone on the board who feel they could offer me… well anything at all – reply here or send me a PM with any info/details you require.

I have my CV to send out if anyone wishes to have it passed on to an employer.

Thanks for looking.

Last bit - i imagine quite a few of you have been in my position at some point in your life - any tips or advice on how to go about things would also be most appreciated.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Looking For IT Experience... Can You Help?

You have already done the first main step and posted here M8, the other step I would say is visit some IT companies and drop in your CV with a cover letter.

Laters
    I’m alive and kicking yeh baby.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Finish your course and get some qualifications. When I look at CVs of younger people I like to make sure they have qualifications in something resembling the job they want. if an applicant is older then experience counts for everything.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bertroot
    Finish your course and get some qualifications. When I look at CVs of younger people I like to make sure they have qualifications in something resembling the job they want. if an applicant is older then experience counts for everything.
    Appreciated - but remember - im not trying to apply for a job here.

Nothing of the kind - i just want to have a chance to be in the working environment.

Thanks
    Karma Level

trying to get some exsperiance under yer belt on your cv whislt training is exactly the right thing to do, cannot do you any harm what so ever and will give you an edge on all the people who have not.

i want my forum title to be change to fucking DF superhero that ammount of times i come to the aid of forum members....weres me mod invite im sure it must be in the post....tee hee...

willyboy came to my work last week for a days exsperiance.
    something i think he enjoyed and is going to repeat a few times for the very same reaon you want to do the same thing.

croydon you say ? the trams from croydon stop where i work in winbledon.
    email me a cv and suggest a date suitable to you and i will make it happen.

i might make you chance your forum title to Map's bitch for a week but it must be worth it ah ?

Willyboy you about ? give us a big up...did you enjoy yourself last week ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MaxP
    trying to get some exsperiance under yer belt on your cv whislt training is exactly the right thing to do, cannot do you any harm what so ever and will give you an edge on all the people who have not.

i want my forum title to be change to fucking DF superhero that ammount of times i come to the aid of forum members....weres me mod invite im sure it must be in the post....tee hee...

willyboy came to my work last week for a days exsperiance.
    something i think he enjoyed and is going to repeat a few times for the very same reaon you want to do the same thing.

croydon you say ? the trams from croydon stop where i work in winbledon.
    email me a cv and suggest a date suitable to you and i will make it happen.

i might make you chance your forum title to Map's bitch for a week but it must be worth it ah ?

Willyboy you about ? give us a big up...did you enjoy yourself last week ?
    Im 10 mins off wimbledon mate - this sounds amazing - check your PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

no Pm yet mate...

my boss is back in next wens, will speak with her then.
    we have had two people in the dept over the last month doing the odd day in the office.unpaid obviously so it dosnt cost the company anything.
    i cannot see any reason why a third would be an issue.

i say unpaid but im not gonna let you go home empty handed
    and without a few pints down your neck.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MaxP
    no Pm yet mate...

my boss is back in next wens, will speak with her then.
    we have had two people in the dept over the last month doing the odd day in the office.unpaid obviously so it dosnt cost the company anything.
    i cannot see any reason why a third would be an issue.

i say unpaid but im not gonna let you go home empty handed
    and without a few pints down your neck.
    Aye - was writing the PM after i posted hehe...

Sounds perfect mate, if you can sort it for me, it would be most appreciated - the PM is there now, have a look - see what you think