Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default TV Viewing Figures

The BBC website states that during the penalty shoot-out in the FA Cup final on Saturday the viewing figures were 11.3 million.

How do they work this figure out ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: TV Viewing Figures

take a sample of the population across the viewing spectrum and then multiply up

edit: that was simplistic, for more info http://www.barb.co.uk/about.cfm?flag=about
    Last edited by maverick_15; 16th May 2006 at 11:26 AM.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

recently all the figures suddenly changed because the sample they used was adjusted slightly, to fit the population better etc.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

that like the Nielsen ratings in the US?

load of shite if u ask me... total guesswork.

Thanks
    Karma Level

its supposition but its better than nothing provided the sample population is accurate
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

which it rarely is.. who registers to be a barb family unless you watch far too much fuckin telly lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

I work for BARB. I do the initial screenings of properties and household demographics etc. The info I collect is ages, sex, race, how many TVs, picture quality across the channels, what channels they receive (Sky/Cable/Freeview/Terrestrial), how many hours per day a family will watch the television on average.

Household types according to those details are then categorized and X amount are chosen as to be representative of the UK in general and/or region by region. That's where my involvement ends. Thereafter a family is contacted by BARB and are asked whether they'd like to take part. My understanding is that they are incentified to do so and that is possibly that they get their TV License paid for a year. They're then given a remote control to go alongside their own and every time the television is watched the relevant channel is inputted into the other remote as well. Also when somebody else enters the room the relevant amount of people inside the room watching any given programme is inputted as well.

All the data is collected and run through the necessary formula as to provide the aggregate viewing figures. I'm sure they get it all wrong, I can't believe over 10 million people still watch Eastenders.