Close

Thread: Norton Ghost

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Norton Ghost

Am wanting to ghost my PCs system drive so I can restore when I get sick of Vista. Can anyone give me an overview of the best way to do this? I should have room on one of my other partitions to put the image but am wondering about a few things.

Which is the best version to use?
    Does Ghost compress the image at all?
    How do I restore onto a flat drive following a format? I have no floppy drive and cannot boot off a USB key. Will I need to create a boot CD to enable Ghost to restore the image?
    Will Ghost properly restore a system drive like this without a great deal of fucking about?

System is an Athlon XP2800 with 1.5Gb of RAM on an Abit NF7S-2 mobo. Has four physical drives containing a number of partitions, a DVD-ROM and a DVD writer, a GeForce FX5900 and that is probably all worth mentioning for now.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Norton Ghost

Bertroot check you PM for version.
    Ghost does have a compress option, yes you can create Boot CD and yes it is a piece off piss to use and to restore with no hassles.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Norton Ghost

Have you ever wished you could simply and quickly return your PC to the lovely state it was when you had first set it up?

Well now you can with my Ghost restore ISO, simply setup your PC so that it's running like a dream with all your fav apps and then follow my very simple guide that is included in the below download. (Best to create the IMAGE just after a fresh OS install and setup)

Everything needed is included. (This is VERY handy for system builders who have had enough of people returning/phoning them up as they have somehow managed to fudge the OS)

DNA's Auto-Booting System Restore ISO

**NOTE**

This pack is configured for an IDE ONLY system or a 1 SATA drive system.
    If like me you have your OS on a Raptor or SATA Hd and ALSO have IDE Hd's then you will need to edit the Ghost.BAT file in notepad:

GHOST.EXE -clone,MODE=pload,SRC=%CDROM%IMAGE.GHO:1,DST=1:1

DST=1:1 means to load the image onto the first partition on the first Hd (Normally C

So if you have your OS on a SATA drive and also have IDE hds then you are going to need to change this as I have found SATA drives are assigned a drive number after IDE's.

The easiest way is to fire up disk management (Right click My Computer =-> Manage =-> Disk Management) then find your C: drive (Or the drive that has your OS on it if it's not C.
    Look at my picture below and you should easily be able to work out the DST for the Ghost.BAT file.

The DST=2:1 on the below example.

This is also handy if you want to make an auto-booting recovery disc of your programs partition, you would then simply make the Ghost IMAGE.GHO of your D drive (or whatever drive has your Programs on) and then change the DST too: DST=2:2.

Hope that made sense If not feel free to ask any questions :thumbs_up

LaterZ
    Leftfield_2k2 (DNA Electronics)

If you need any further help drop me an e-mail @:
    Tribe2k@GMail.Com

E~Mail Me @: wWw.Tribe2k@GMail.Com