Close

Thread: Going for DSLR

Thanks
    Karma Level

Going for DSLR

Hi all

I have been considering going for a DSLR camera for some time now. After reading through all the threads on this forum I have decided on the Nikon D50. The main reasons for this are the fact it takes SD Memory (I have 4gb in SD Cards) and cost. It seems that there are a few members who own this camrea and all appear to be happy with their camera. I am a complete photography novice and have only ever taken shots with a normal 'snaps' type camera.

Is the Nikon D50 ok for the beginner? I am probably going for the basic 'KIT' lense.

is 6.1MP enough? I'd like to print my pictures in quite large format.

I know there has been lots of great advice on this forum as to taking pictures and editing them. Would anyone reccomend a book for starting out in photography? My local Adult Education Centre do courses, do you think it'd be worth it? Or is this something you can pick up with plenty of practise and common sense?

Money is limited so would it be wise to try to find a second hand camera or even look on eBay? Is something like this best to buy with a full warranty?

Any other tips would be apprecieated, i know this has been covered a lot recently.
    Last edited by wizer; 7th June 2006 at 10:49 AM.
    Photography: Nikon D50 - 18-55mm, 70-300mm, 105mm Macro, 2 x 2gb SD Cards, Jessops Tripod, LowePro Rucksack

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Going for DSLR

While DSLR's are more complex than your basic point and shoot they do have a full auto mode so you can use that while you pick up the basics and learn what all the buttons and dials are for.

My camera is only 6MP and I can easily print at SuperA3 with it. DSLR's have much larger sensors than compacts or prosumers and produce an image with lower noise levels that stand up better to enlargement with software like Genuine Fractals.

I can't think of any books that are must haves on the subject but there's a few useful links in the photography tips sticky, that should give you a basic understanding. There's not really that much to it tbh, the hardest part is developing an eye for a good picture, or the art of "seeing" as it's known, and although knowledge of the simple compositional rules can help the best way to learn, I find, is to get out there and shoot.

You might be able to pick up a bargain on eBay as a lot of people upgrade when newer models come out, but the D50 is very reasonably priced at about £400 with a lens.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks slarti, I have taken the plunge and bought a s/h nikon d50. will post my initial results soon.
    Photography: Nikon D50 - 18-55mm, 70-300mm, 105mm Macro, 2 x 2gb SD Cards, Jessops Tripod, LowePro Rucksack

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hiya

The d50 is great. Its proven to be better than the canon eos 350 which has 8megapixels. I got one too. Snaps pictures quick and the picture qualities are crispy.

Highly Recommended.

They re going cheap at the moment too. Loads of deals such as with 2 lenses, memory cards etc...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Wizer -
    I've too have had one for about 6 months and am very pleased with it.
    Went the usual route of going from a prosumer (Lumix FZ10) and initially thought I'd made a mistake going to the Nikon. Apparently a lot of people get this feeling as the compact and prosumer cameras are set up to give the best possible picture straight from the camera wheras DSLR's aren't. Where the DSLR's come into their own is that you can do a lot more in the way of post-processing and still the image is infinately better as they have a lot less noise.
    Piece of advice is to get a good flash as soon as possible, either the SB600 or SB800 as they really make a world of difference to the photos you take.
    Also have a look at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1034, you'll learn al lot from these people.

Above all have fun and enjoy your new toy ..... GedR

Thanks
    Karma Level

d50 a lovely camera, and will reward the effort you put in. it's also happy with good quality lenses - so watch the bank balance!

There are a couple of D50 guides available for purchase on the net - the manual doesn't do the best job of explaining everything this great camera can do. check out dpreview.com for info on the guides, and advice in the forums.

Thanks
    Karma Level

re the megapixels...
    generally you will see little diff between 6 and 8. 6 and 10 you will see a diff, but it'll also be heavily influenced by the lens quality. There is a noticeable diff between 6 and 12, but (1) the 12MP dslrs are expensive (2) require a lot of work to get the best out of, and (3) you need even more expensive glass as well

I'd stay at the 6-8 mp, and spend any spare dosh on good quality glass

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by johnwai
    The d50 is great. Its proven to be better than the canon eos 350 which has 8megapixels.
    Do you have a evidence of this, i aint taunting you just curious to know this is based on.
    Computers: iMac 20'', iMac 17'', PowerBook 15'', Mac Mini.
    Photography: Canon EOS 20D, BG-E2, EF 18-55mm, EF 100-300, EF 28-135 IS, Post production by DPP.
    Web site: My Lotus Elise Blog

Thanks
    Karma Level

the 350 wins on lower ISO and silky clean images and brighter viewfinder, the d50 wins on ergonomics, better 3d metering, spot metering, built-in flash. 6 vs 8 mp is not noticeable for 99% of images/skill levels. The kit lens on both are slightly soft. Both are great value, and as always its not the camera but the photog that makes the difference.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I went for the Pentax D*ist as it is compatible with the stack of lenses I've built up over the years with my other Pentax K fitting SLRs.