Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Rob Zombie Resurrecting 'Halloween'

Rob Zombie rocks. I am looking forward to a remake at last.

Rocker-turned-filmmaker Rob Zombie is resurrecting Michael Myers, one of the big screen's favorite horror villains. Zombie will write and direct a new "Halloween" movie, serving up what is being called as a brand new vision for the long-running horror series. He will also serve as a producer and a music supervisor on the film.

An October 2007 release is being planned. Disney's Miramax Films will co-finance the development with former Miramax chiefs Bob and Harvey Weinstein's Dimension Films.

The movie will not be a sequel or a straight-ahead remake of the 1978 original -- which helped director John Carpenter cement his name in the horror business -- but a reimagining that will infuse new blood into the Myers story.

"The look and the feel is going to be completely different," Zombie says. "'Halloween' started off as a very terrifying concept, a terrifying movie. But over the years, Michael Myers has become a friendly Halloween mask. When it came to the point where you could buy a Michael Myers doll that was cute-looking and press its stomach and play the 'Halloween' theme, you knew the scare factor was gone.

"But I think the story and the situation is scary," he continues. "All it needed was someone to come in and to take a totally different approach to make it scary again. To me, that's the challenge and that's the fun."

Needless to say, the movie will not pay heed to the numerous sequels. The last Halloween film, "Halloween: Resurrection," came out in 2002. "Everything that has come before does not figure into this one," Zombie said. "That series is done."

And while Zombie aims to keep the scares and the character more real, the mask will remain. "That's an iconic image that can't go away," he said.

Zombie wrote and directed "House of 1000 Corpses" and last year's "The Devil's Rejects," which proved to be extremely profitable theatrically and on DVD. A lot of horror movies have been thrown his way, but he wanted to be choosy when it came to his third film.

Zombie is a fan of the original and said he sought Carpenter's blessing. "He said, 'That's awesome, go for it,"' Zombie said. "He was very supportive, which I thought was very important. I feel like 'Halloween' is his baby, and I wanted to be very respectful."

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1002613187

Dimension Films announced that they will make a new Halloween movie with Rob Zombie (The Devil's Rejects, House of 1000 Corpses) writing, directing and serving as a producer. Malek Akkad of Trancas International Films (Halloween: H20) will produce the feature along with Andy Gould of Vision Entertainment Group (The Devil's Rejects, House of 1000 Corpses). Zombie will also serve as music supervisor on the film. Miramax Films will co-finance the development with Dimension Films. The announcement was made by The Weinstein Company co-chairman, Bob Weinstein.

Zombie's vision of this film is an entirely new take on the legend and will satisfy fans of the classic Halloween legacy while beginning a new chapter in the Michael Myers saga. This new movie will not only appeal to horror fans, but to a wider movie-going audience as well. It will not be a copycat of any prior films in the Halloween franchise. The film is set for an October 2007 theatrical release.

Bob Weinstein stated, "Rob Zombie is a gifted musician and performer as well as a talented filmmaker. His vision for this new 'Halloween' is spectacular and I am thrilled to be collaborating with him and to work closely with Malek Akkad to continue the legacy built by his father, the late Moustapha Akkad."

Zombie said, "I have been a huge, huge fan of John Carpenter's original film since its release. So when Bob Weinstein approached me about this, I jumped at the chance to join forces with Dimension Films on this amazing project."

The Halloween story began with the 1978 release of "John Carpenter's Halloween," executive produced by the late Moustapha Akkad, founder of Trancas International Films and became the highest grossing independent film of the time. Moustapha Akkad's son, Malek, is now taking some of the reigns on this new Halloween project to continue the outstanding work begun by his father. Malek Akkad stated, "Trancas is very excited to be working with Rob Zombie and producing another 'Halloween' with Bob Weinstein and Dimension, the home of the franchise for the last three installments. It will be a fitting and worthy tribute to my late father."

"I am thrilled to be working again with Rob and with Dimension Films on such an iconic project that will reinvigorate 'Halloween' and Michael Myers in a truly terrifying new way," stated Andy Gould, Rob Zombie's long time manager and producer of Zombie's two previous films.

An auteur filmmaker and music artist with shrewd insight and creative vision, Rob Zombie challenges audiences as he stretches the boundaries of film, music and publishing.

Zombie is the longest active artist on Geffen Records and has sold in excess of fifteen million records. He is currently on a sold-out nationwide tour for his latest gold-selling album, "Educated Horses." which debuted at number five on the Billboard Top 200.

In 2000, Zombie jumped from music to film with his directorial debut and cult smash hit, House of 1000 Corpses. Due to the film success Zombie returned in 2004 to helm its follow up the critically acclaimed, The Devil's Rejects. Zombie was hailed by critics and fans alike as a visionary filmmaker due to the film's uncompromising and wildly inventive exploitive throw-back style.

Prior to House of 1000 Corpses, Zombie directed dozens of high profile music videos. In 1995 Zombie won an MTV Music Video Award for "More Human Than Human," becoming the first self-directed artist to win such an award.

After the success of The Devil's Rejects, Zombie entered the world of animation with "The Haunted World of El Superbeasto" a feature length film in production at IDT.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/85/12985.php

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Rob Zombie Resurrecting 'Halloween'

This could be quite interesting, I like it style. Would be good to see a movie where it is a bit more serious, as opposed to the OTT gore flicks he has produced (thought they are good to watch).
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    The Digital Forums / Ebay Affiliate Link

Thanks
    Karma Level

I reckon it'll be plop.

Didn't like 1000 corpses or Devil's Rejects, so if it's anything at all like them, I guess I won't like this either.
    If you can smell it, it's in your mouth.
    Click

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I hope hemakes it effective, such a good plot on this film yet the originals had no scares! And wtf was H2O about?! No-one can come back from life that many times!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

After the tripe that was house of a thousand corpses I didn't bother to watch the devils rejects, I imagine this will be just as shite.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Devils Rejects is quite different from 1000 Corpses actually.

I think they are a couple of the best horror films made in recent times, certainly so much better then rehashed and remade films we have seen over and over and over and over and over and over.....

something makes me think you guys prefer Hostel over 1000 Corpses and Rejects....please.

I think getting Zombie on board to reimagine Halloween is probably the best horror news I have heard in a good few years actually. Given that its obvious the franchise was going to continue, and we saw Busta Rymes in the last one, I dont know how any dare NOT welcome this news with open arms LOL.
    We Are....The Mighty Liverpool Reds

Seen a Movie lately? Share your opinions in the Movie Section

"There is no doubt we are in the shadow of Liverpool, but we are doing out utmost to compete with them." - David Moyes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by webslinger2k
    something makes me think you guys prefer Hostel over 1000 Corpses and Rejects....please.
    Wrong. That was shit too.
    Click

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

For me you're quite right, I do prefer an origional film over a rehash of the crap that was texas chainsaw massacre.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CominAtcha
    Wrong. That was shit too.
    finally some sense from you....knew we would get there in the end
    We Are....The Mighty Liverpool Reds

Seen a Movie lately? Share your opinions in the Movie Section

"There is no doubt we are in the shadow of Liverpool, but we are doing out utmost to compete with them." - David Moyes

Thanks
    Karma Level

I liked Devils Rejects, not so keen on 1000 corpses though.

I think he should leave Halloween well alone.
    Its a classic in its own right, doesnt need re-doing.
    SUNDERLAND AFC - THE NORTH EASTS ONLY PREMIERSHIP TEAM

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DappaBastard
    I think he should leave Halloween well alone.
    Its a classic in its own right, doesnt need re-doing.
    Agreed Dappa that it should be left but now the project is in the open I can't think of anyone else I would rather have a go at it apart from maybe Sam Raimi, with his Evil Dead head on.

Thanks
    Karma Level

finally some sense from you....knew we would get there in the end
    Funny fucker aintcha!
    Click