Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Smith Bench, Smith Machine

Alrite, basically i want to buy a bench and weights for home, but won't be having a spot, and i'd like to be able to kick up the weights to a high standard for me, so i've been pointed in the direction of a smith bench/machine - The ones with the glidy things so you don't need a spot, got a few questions.

How exactly do they work?
    Do i need a certain size bar (eg olympic 6ft) for the bench, or do they usually come with one?
    Wheres the cheapest place to get one (looking for a cheap one)?

And also i need a weight set, around 80kg+ with a bar, any cheap ones, or even a smith bench that comes with a bar and weights?

Cheers for any help.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Smith Bench, Smith Machine

You can find a few here.

Personally I'd go for a power rack though. Similar concept, you can just drop the weight off at the lowest point if you can't finish the final rep, but unlike the Smith machine it doesn't restrict the bar to a single plane of travel. So you get all the benefits of free weights with the safety of the smith machine. And as everyone knows, free weights are best.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would not recomend one of these because a smith machine prevents the natural mavements and doesn't use the stabiliser muscles. I understand why you want one as i have dropped weights on myself on more than one occasion, and it hurts, but that was because of me being too tired or over ambitious. I would say instead of gettingthe smith machine get either a decent bench and then a weight set or a power cage.
    http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/...5FPower%5FRack
    That is an example of a basic power cage but i would have to say that spending a bit of money would be best, how much are you willing to spend.

Well slartibartfast beat me to it lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Probably got around 300 quid to spend, may be able to stretch if i can sell a few things, thats why i was looking at smith machines and they look cheaper to me compared to power racks.

I could go for a power rack, but it would mean buying a bench (smiths usually come in a package with them) and then a bar aswell. I'd probably prefer a power rack.

Also just one thing, with a power rack or a smith machine, can you start arms extended/locked, because was just looking at a few and couldn't see how lol.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nah m8,like the others have mentioned above,forget the smith machine...IMO a last resort to using one if nothing else available and for some variation but wouldnt use them on a regular basis..It cant be very deceptive using one as by trying what you can push on a free weight is nowhere near it...Power rack would be suffice but a bit more info first n foremost on how long you have been training and what is it you would like to get out from it.Also where do you plan to put the stuff he you have bought it..Could end up saving you money in the long run for something you will end up not using...But best bet would be to have someone train with you or even join a local gym...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've got a good gym membership, but its a fair bit away, and there weights only go up to 60kg for some reason on free weights. Also at times its hard to get a spot.

At the moment i'll be putting it in my garage, then moving it to a little summer house most likely. Training with someone else is an idea, but tried it before and neither of us were around at the same time really, i want to be able to walk out to my garage and hit the weights for a good while.

So a power-rack is pretty much settled for me, smith machine out the window i've decided. Now all i have to do is somehow get a powerrack, an 80kg weight set + bar (olympic pref), and a suitable bench (maybe with preacher curl and leg curl) for 300 quid, maybe a tiny bit more.

Any ideas or suggestions on what to get

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Erad
    I've got a good gym membership, but its a fair bit away, and there weights only go up to 60kg for some reason on free weights. Also at times its hard to get a spot.
    60kg? do you mean on the fixed weight barbells? dont they have a barbell where you add the weight on the side?
    as for getting a spotter, cant you either ask someone around to spot for you (what i do if not in the gym with a mate) or ask a member of staff, they should be there to help...

with regards your original question, definitely go with the power rack if you can, because it doesnt restrict your natural motion it works more to stabilise and doesnt create the false effect that a smith machin has.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by maverick_15
    60kg? do you mean on the fixed weight barbells? dont they have a barbell where you add the weight on the side?
    as for getting a spotter, cant you either ask someone around to spot for you (what i do if not in the gym with a mate) or ask a member of staff, they should be there to help...

with regards your original question, definitely go with the power rack if you can, because it doesnt restrict your natural motion it works more to stabilise and doesnt create the false effect that a smith machin has.
    Yeh they've only got fixed weights, no plates that i know of. And anyway, don't really need much of a spot on 60kg, if i really needed a spot there is always someone to help just in case.

Not forgetting my lack of motivation to get in a car and drive 30 minutes to a gym.

Anyway i'm sorted on my decision for sure now, now to find the right stuff

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/prod...oductid=AS2081

Found that, cheapest one, but is it too cheap i'm wondering...

Thanks
    Karma Level

£25 cheaper here, decent price with Olympic weights too. Or here's another one for £175, or £250 with lat pulldown/low pulley attachments too here. Some cracking deals to be had on that website too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by broona
    £25 cheaper here, decent price with Olympic weights too. Or here's another one for £175, or £250 with lat pulldown/low pulley attachments too here. Some cracking deals to be had on that website too.
    Yeh found the 25 quid cheaper one earlier too, if the 100kg weight set comes with a 7ft olympic bar then i'll most likely get that

Thanks
    Karma Level

What about this for a bench :

http://www.worldofhealthandleisure.co.uk/specials.htm

Its the Marcy Deluxe Utility Weight Bench for 85 quid, comes with preacher curl attatchement n the lot.

Anyone know if its a good bench?