Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default The emergency services...

Police/ Fireman / Ambulance.

Just a thread really to see what experiences you have personally had with the 3 above.

From dialing 999 > talking to the operator > service turning up and the time scale in between.

I post this as i have never had to call 999 before, but yesterday there was a guy outside my home who had just badly slit one of his wrists - clearly had done the vain as the blood was pumping out.

Heres my account of the emergancy service -

I dialed 999 and was told repeatedly that the line was busy and that i should not hang up as someone will answer - clearly i wasnt going to but i couldnt help but think how long am i going to be holding on for as this kid was bleeding on my door step.

Once someone answered - i got asked a million and 1 questions - this is fair enough, they need as much information as possible but i still felt i was doing way too much talking.

I went backout side to see how he was doing ( i didnt leave him alone he was with his mother etc keeping him calm).

10 minutes later, still no ambulance - ok so 10 minutes, not a long time at all but as u can imagine, it felt like an hour watching this poor guys arm turn grey.

I rang them back to see if i could get an ETA or just make sure one was still on its way - i was then told that an ambulance will not be present untill the police arrived first - due to the nature of the injury (in a panic i told them he had just put his hand through a window) they think its violence related and required back up first.

All in all i think after 15 or so mintues both the police and ambulance were present and aiding to him.

I couldnt make up my mind if i was impressed or shocked with the response - the "please wait" message on the phone was bad, i can agree with the police backup as they dont want to put themselfs into any danger and 15 minute time scale, from where ever they come from to my house is not bad at all considering it was bang on rush hour.

So yeh i think i am impressed with the emergancy services.

Sorry this sounds more like a blog than a thread - just been going over my mind past 24 hours and decide to spill on here.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Re: The emergancy services...

I work for the Fire brigade and I'm one of the people you speak to when you dial 999
    Our targets are
    we answer all calls within 7 seconds = 97%
    Despatch fire engine within 60 seconds = 95%

Some calls are more difficult and require longer times but 95% is good really

I know in the FB you can still have caller on phone getting more info and send fire engine whilst still talking.
    A fire engine will usually be at the address within 4 minutes of you ringing 999 which is an average for Tyne & Wear area.

Having dealt with the police and ambulance on a daily basis I can understand, some peoples annoyance with them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: The emergancy services...

Quote Originally Posted by karlos130
    I work for the Fire brigade and I'm one of the people you speak to when you dial 999
    Our targets are
    we answer all calls within 7 seconds = 97%
    Despatch fire engine within 60 seconds = 95%

Some calls are more difficult and require longer times but 95% is good really

I know in the FB you can still have caller on phone getting more info and send fire engine whilst still talking.
    A fire engine will usually be at the address within 4 minutes of you ringing 999 which is an average for Tyne & Wear area.

Having dealt with the police and ambulance on a daily basis I can understand, some peoples annoyance with them.
    That is quite amazing response tbh.

As far as my understanding of the conversation went - he didnt even appear to organise the sending of the ambulance untill we had finished - he said at the end " i will contact an ambulance now and get it dispatched asap "

Like i said, it wasnt a bad response considering - i have had the police called to my house before tho and they have been here in what feels seconds - literally just a couple of minutes and they were outside.

May of just been a busy time for them yesterday then.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My back fence has been hit 4 times over the past 5 years, 2 of which have been by drunk drivers trying to negotiate the bend in the road behind us.

The last one to do that ended up right in my back garden, and as I was in my "office" I heard it immediately.

I grabbed the house phone and called 999 as I went outside to see. The call was answered immediately whereby I put on my "police, camera, action" voice and said something like..

[emergency, which service?] Police and ambulance required. My name is ******. Reporting an RTA on Bolton Road heading South approximately 200 yards from the railway bridge on the A579 in the Leigh direction. One vehicle overturned, several vehicles with collateral damage for a visible distance of around 150 yards to nearside and offside carriageways.

I remember the reply.

"Pardon sir?"

I said:

"Pardon? Pardon?". Which bit?

The reply...

"Please start with your name, sir".

Good responses tho, especially from ambulance crews as I found out last year

Quote Originally Posted by karlos130
    Interesting.

I was under the impression that it was telephone operators working for 118-500 (the old 192) that took the calls as a priority over regular directory enquiries...?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

LMAO, some good work there shambles.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was getting attacked in a petrol station by 15+ youths.

I managed to run in the petrol station and the guy let me jump behind the security door. called police said what happened, they said ok so your safe now, i said for the moment, they got there in 36 minutes.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I rang the police about 4 years ago regarding a break in on my vehicle, I am still waiting for them to turn up I do understand that the roads can be busy this time of year and it is a hrad street to find but ah well fingers crossed!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shambles
    Interesting.
    I was under the impression that it was telephone operators working for 118-500 (the old 192) that took the calls as a priority over regular directory enquiries...?
    I work in the Fire Brigade Control Room m8, when you dial 999 a operator will put you through to a control room...Me!!

Then its down to us to question caller,and decide what fire engines to send.But if their stuck in the house you goto keep talking to them till their rescued!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

The emergancy services...
    its emergency dammit!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer_y89
    That is quite amazing response tbh..
    As I do Nightshift also, I always say to the wife if you think anyone has broken into house or hear noises downstairs then call fire brigade as they will get their far quicker than the police will on most occasions

And their will usually be 4 or 5 firefighters to chase whoever off!!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Reporting an RTA on Bolton Road heading South approximately 200 yards from the railway bridge on the A579 in the Leigh direction. [/quote]

So that would make you living about Stamford street? maybe Marton drive? 200 yards is more Stamford street spookily close about 3 and a bit miles from me.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: The emergency services...

Had to call the police once after I got a beating in Greenwich, They were pretty quick to be honest, got me an ambulance and sent me on my way, no more than 5 minutes wait. Now thinking about it, it's rather funny as the police station was only 30 seconds away.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Little John
    So that would make you living about Stamford street? maybe Marton drive? 200 yards is more Stamford street spookily close about 3 and a bit miles from me.
    Yup. Marton Drive mate. Call round for a brew sometime

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shambles
    Yup. Marton Drive mate. Call round for a brew sometime
    Ill come round and drive in to the back garden if you want

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Little John
    Ill come round and drive in to the back garden if you want

I had an RTA in 2002 when someone pulled out on part of the A6 near Bedford, wrote both cars off. Anyway I called the Police on my mobile, 2 Police cars and 2 ambulances turned up in approx 5 minutes, not bad I thought considering it was probably dougnut time lol
    360 ID: Symate

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Last time i called 999 the woman i got through for police and paramedics kept reading out my phone number to me. In an drunken emergency this is not useful, telling me my own number and asking me if that is the one im calling from.

FS 118 500 didnt keep on at me about it as i called for the taxi home.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've phoned the ambulance about twice I think - once at home when my little sister (who was about 1 at the time) fell off the bed and smashed her head and once when I was at work and there was a guy with a suspected overdose.

The one with the OD was pretty quick - asked questions such as is he likely to be violent to the paramedics, what does the tablet bottle say etc etc - ambulance there within 5 mins I'd say...bloody good considering it was a late friday night.

The other time were a bit more difficult trying to explain what had happened to someone who sounded a bit thick! - got there in just under 10 mins eventually I think which is still good going.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think the emergency services do a fantastic job with the resources that they have. Here we have 2 fire engines covering the town and they also cover the wider area for major incidents and they get there pretty quick. What you need to remember is that there are knob heads in this world that enjoy chucking stuff at fire engines and firemen while they are working If I was them the hose would be redirected but thehy arent allowed to do that.

Ambulances there are a few more of them and when we needed to call one for both my gran and grandad they turned up really quick and the staff were fantastic, I understand the not turning up until police are onsite if the patient is likley to be dangerous but they will be on their way as soon as it is known what services are required.

the police on the other hand are a bit of a waste of time, ok maybe not compleatly but they are just too slow, nothing appears to be an emergency for them I know some events there is no point rushing to like a burgalry but show some effort and get there within 2 hours and when you get there do somthing other than issue the crime reference number FFS, They just know that there is no point dusting for prints as they are unlikley to catch the guy as they dont get the chance to investigate things any more for filling out paperwork in the event that someone puts in a complaint against them they now have to cover their backs for everything.

I wish that things would go back to they used to be, the police should be somthing to be feared, as should the punishments. I want an ASBO everyone else has one why cant I? it is up to the public to inform the police if they are broken how many people know who has one and what they can and cant do under the rules of it also how do you contact the police for me I have to phone manchester its a joke.

sorry for the aimless rant but the police annoy me they are a waste of space now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think they do a bloody good job especially when you get fuck-tards firing air-rifles at em when they're working etc... unbelievable!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Rant Re: The emergency services...

The Police are VERY limited nowadays,

My own experience is with the Police. Airgun maniac was taking out dogs in my area. I got shot at while walking my dog. Response time about 20 mins. (they searched the area first then came to my door to get the statement, so they were prob on the scene in under 10.)
    Second time was when i got a knife pulled on me. The police came in under an hour, and had the guys in under 3. Got my phone back, but couldnt get my money back, as they can't prove that the money found on the guys (exact same as i reported stolen) was my money.

The scum of the earth have so many rights (and they know it) that its less trouble for the police to turn a blind eye to minor things. They work with both hands tied behind their backs.

I would like to see the law changed, so that the minute your known to break the law, all further rights (not covered by the international human rights laws) go out the window. Breaking the law should be feared. And any rapist, mollester, etc should be mortally fear being taken in. Its the only way to reverse the culture we are breeding.

Im not sure about the figgure now, but at one point it cost the taxpayer an average of 10,000 pounds a year per prisoner. How much does a concrete cell, pan, water and bread really cost? Share the cost of an exercise yard.

So yeah, this is an extreme, but hey big change gets results. What do you think? Am i a nutter, or spot on?

Cheers
    Griz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast