Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Newbie Best multiplayer shootemup?

Thanks to a work colleague, last night I tried out the demo of Battlefield 2 and got hopelessly addicted.

I haven't tried any multiplayer p2p shootemups before, but being a former Goldeneye addict (not played many games since then due to my poker addiction!), I'd love to find a multiplayer game a bit more similar to Goldeneye in terms of enclosed spaces without the constant ariel bombardments. Basically, I always thought it would be cool to play Goldeneye licence to kill with 20 or 40 players on a fairly small level playing to the death with a fixed amount of lives.

What are the other top online games (preferably with a free demo) along the lines of what I'm looking for?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Best multiplayer shootemup?

Search for WarRock, its a top game, pretty much like bf2, and then a tiny mix of Counterstrike in, been playing it for about a day now and runs smoother than BF2 does on my shat pc, graphics aint half bad on it.

edit: Forgot to say its free (open beta, might always be free though), and online, up to 32 players i think.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Battlefield 2 is my fav fps. If you want something a bit closer then Special Forces is worth a try. It is an expansion pack for BF2. I dont play it too much as I prefer the openess of the standard BF2 maps. Unfortunately its not free.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers for the advice. I tried the Halo demo today, and although it's a great game, there is still the annoying factor that someone is constantly flying around the spawn area racking up a lot of easy kills. It always seems a big race to get into the planes on these things (same on BF2).

I've tried downloading WarRock but something's buggered up and it won't open. I'll try again later.

I might get round to paying for one of these games for the full version sometime but the problem is I'll have a good excuse to play it all the time (I don't want to get too hooked on these things - which is why I've sucessfully restrained myself from the likes of Champ Manager for years).

Another thing I'm curious about is the intercom thing I've heard of people use for these games. Is that always done through a seperate channel to the actual game?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Monkfish79
    Cheers for the advice. I tried the Halo demo today, and although it's a great game, there is still the annoying factor that someone is constantly flying around the spawn area racking up a lot of easy kills. It always seems a big race to get into the planes on these things (same on BF2).

I've tried downloading WarRock but something's buggered up and it won't open. I'll try again later.

I might get round to paying for one of these games for the full version sometime but the problem is I'll have a good excuse to play it all the time (I don't want to get too hooked on these things - which is why I've sucessfully restrained myself from the likes of Champ Manager for years).

Another thing I'm curious about is the intercom thing I've heard of people use for these games. Is that always done through a seperate channel to the actual game?
    BF2 has in built VOIP, but you need to join a squad before you can use it. Once you are in a squad you can hold 'V' (i think) and talk to your fellow squadmembers.

Some people also use a private voip service so they can communicate with their clan for example. Our clan uses Teamspeak when we play BF. Others popular clients are Ventrillo or Skype. Skype is the best by far quality wise but it uses a lot more bandwidth so it isnt ideal for fast action games such as FPS.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BitchMonkey
    Some people also use a private voip service so they can communicate with their clan for example. Our clan uses Teamspeak when we play BF. Others popular clients are Ventrillo or Skype. Skype is the best by far quality wise but it uses a lot more bandwidth so it isnt ideal for fast action games such as FPS.
    What clan you associated with BM?
    ---------------------------------------------------
    HE went home in a fuckin ambulance
    R.I.H Saddam

Thanks
    Karma Level

WBH - Wild Boar Hunters Its not really a clan, more like 5 mates who play BF.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Unreal Tournament 2004 is the fucking nuts. I played this for a long while online and enjoyed every second of it. Sad thing is I don't get a lot of time for it these days. The right mix of speed and great weapons coupled with many different gametypes did it for me but I was also addicted to Unreal Tournament back in the day as well. There is a free demo of it if you have a search.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks to a work colleague, last night I tried out the demo of Battlefield 2 and got hopelessly addicted.

I haven't tried any multiplayer p2p shootemups before, but being a former Goldeneye addict (not played many games since then due to my poker addiction!), I'd love to find a multiplayer game a bit more similar to Goldeneye in terms of enclosed spaces without the constant ariel bombardments. Basically, I always thought it would be cool to play Goldeneye licence to kill with 20 or 40 players on a fairly small level playing to the death with a fixed amount of lives.

What are the other top online games (preferably with a free demo) along the lines of what I'm looking for?
    hi there have you tried Gunz, i tried it recently and found it to be not a bad game, the higher level you get the better weapons you get.

give it a try and see wot u think.....

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've heard a lot of good things about unreal tournament so will give the demo a try sometime.

I decided to take the plunge and buy Counter Strike on the advice of someone from work. It's just the sort of thing I was looking for and has the voice option for all players without needing to use any other software. Not than I'm really into using it, just thought it would be quite a cool feature to see in action.

The only annoying thing about CS is that everyone else has been playing it for so long that I get the shit kicked out of me on a regular basis. I've heard the live X-box games will only put you up against players of a similar rank, which would certainly help get into these types of games. There don't appear to be any 'noobs' servers on CS though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rammy
    hi there have you tried Gunz, i tried it recently and found it to be not a bad game, the higher level you get the better weapons you get.

give it a try and see wot u think.....
    Does that mean you play against equally crap players to start with?

Thanks
    Karma Level

as previously said its gotta be BF2 even though i did enjoy all of the UT games including 2004.
    Hl2 was sweet "aint tried episode 1 yet "
    quake 3 if yah into fast action or even try good old quake 2

Thanks
    Karma Level

Does that mean you play against equally crap players to start with?
    yes you do m8

Thanks
    Karma Level

Played the Gunz demo today. Didn't think it measured up to Counter Strike or BF2 but good fun nonetheless.

Also tried the UT2004 demo last night and I think I've hit the jackpot - another late night last night! Looking at the variety of game types in the full game it looks spot on.

I've just had a look around to see if there was anywhere I could download the full version from but even on the official site I can't see a link to buy it. Have seen it on amazon for a tenner but surely there's somewhere to buy it by downloading?

Thanks
    Karma Level

For a good multiplayer shootemup try joint operations/ joint operations escalation. more realistic than BF2

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tactical ops is a decent online game, if you just want to play a brainless shoot em and win game! Also try ut2004 and CS:Source there both decent ones too

Thanks
    Karma Level

Call of Duty and MOHAA - golden oldies - classics
    - Plan for Tomorrow - Live for today - Hail to the King Baby -

Thanks to Shotgunjim

WRATH OF BOD (19th July 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

wolfenstein enemy territory free to dowload great game with lots of servers to play on

Thanks
    Karma Level

Im a professional counter strike player. Play for a fantastic team and we can win money, gaming gear etc

were fking fantastic!
    o r i g i n a l l y k n o w n a s
    MaKas

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 3.30ghz+
    2GB Crucial Ballistix Ram 1000mhz+
    500GB Western Sata-2 16mb Cache
    Nvidia 8800GT 512mb Dx10 PCI-E
    600W Power Supply

Thanks
    Karma Level

I play black hawk down alot more than any other game i have got don't know if theres a demo on it seems that its old

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast