Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Cholesterol issues?

Why not try Red Yeast Rice extract as an alternative to statins. Statins have shown themselves to have some nasty side effects even though they do the job of reducing the magic number.

Have a read here or the google spiel here.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Cholesterol issues?

I drink plenty of Soya milk which has been proven to reduce "bad" cholesterol (LDL), when consumed in larger quantities. But it is a common misunderstanding that all cholesterol is bad...

"Cholesterol is a soft fatty substance. Cholesterol does not dissolve well in water. This weak ability of cholesterol to dissolve in water is a major factor in the development of atherosclerosis. The body gets cholesterol the food but it is also produced by the body. Cholesterol is mainly produced in the liver, but also in the adrenal glands and reproductive organs. Cholesterol is a necessary component of your body cells and is a building material for hormones such as estrogen and testosterone.
    Cholesterol can cause problems when high levels in the bloodstream are present. These high levels lead to hardening of the arteries, coronary heart disease and other vascular disease problems.

When cholesterol is measured in the blood 3 cholesterol levels are determined: LDL-cholesterol (bad cholesterol), HDL-cholesterol (good cholesterol) and triglycerides.

LDL-cholesterol or "bad cholesterol" has the property to build up plaque on the inner walls of the arteries which feed the heart and brain. Together with other substances the LDL-cholesterol forms a plaque that can clog the arteries.

HDL-cholesterol or "good cholesterol" carries cholesterol away from the bloodstream and back to the liver thereby decreasing the risk of plaque build-up.

Triglycerides are the normal fats. Blood triglyceride may also play a role in forming plaque. "

More info here....

http://www.soya.be/soy-cholesterol.php

And here..
    http://www.soya.be/isoflavones-research.php

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice post guys, if the forum stays idiot free it could be a great addition.
    K+ to you both.
    SUNDERLAND AFC - THE NORTH EASTS ONLY PREMIERSHIP TEAM

Thanks
    Karma Level

Almonds are another good one to reduce cholesterol apparently but haven't seen any hard evidence as is plenty of apples though the large intake of fructose could cause other issues.

Thanks
    Karma Level

feck all that just keep away from cheeseburgers and chips

Thanks
    Karma Level

Another good cholesterol lowering addition to your diet is soluble fibre, an especially effective product is psyllium husk. This is better than wheat based fibre products because of the intolerances associated with wheat and it's also very harsh on the intestines.

A good tablespoon of whole psyllium husks added to a smoothie or taken in a glass of water every day will also cleanse your bowels and make your shit smell like a fragrant meadow.

Thanks
    Karma Level

What would happen if you took cholesterol lowering measures and didn't have a cholesterol problem?
    Due to a massive needle phobia I have never had mine tested and I was wondering, being as mum had a raised level and brother has a raised level, whether I should be taking these measures anyway? I try to eat healthily although I get sod all exercise.
    Me and my fella spit our dummies out so we won't be coming back. ever. boo hoo.

This is a techy / hackers forum not a fu**ing mothers meeting so - peace out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Won't do you any harm lin. I have slight cholesterol isues though I eat a healthy diet. Good old genes.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by lin View Post
    What would happen if you took cholesterol lowering measures and didn't have a cholesterol problem?
    Due to a massive needle phobia I have never had mine tested and I was wondering, being as mum had a raised level and brother has a raised level, whether I should be taking these measures anyway? I try to eat healthily although I get sod all exercise.
    As far as LDL cholesterol (the bad type) goes it could never be an issue of it being too low. Even if you have high levels of LDL cholesterol, the relative amount of HDL to LDL is more important than total cholesterol. So as long as you keep your HDL cholesterol levels high you will guard against heart disease.

Good ways of increasing HDL is eating oily fish at least 2-3 times a week or taking an omega 3/6 supplement, taking regular exercise and drinking alcohol in moderation (no more than 1-2 units per day).

Things to avoid are refined sugar, refined carbohydrates and caffeine as these will actively lower your HDL.

Foods to consider in order to decrease the bad LDL are:

- Olive Oil
    - Garlic
    - Nuts and Seeds (especially walnuts, almonds & linseed/flax seed)
    - Soya
    - Soluble Fibre (psyllium, beans, pulses, oats etc.)
    - Oily Fish (mackeral, salmon, sardines etc)
    - Fresh fruit and vegetables

Foods that will increase LDL are:

- Saturated animal fats (from beef, pork etc.)
    - Butter, cheese and all full fat dairy products (personally I'd remove all dairy products)
    - Processed foods such as ready meals (usually high in refined sugar, saturated fat and trans fats which are poison)
    - Refined sugar in all it's forms including fizzy drinks, cakes, sweets, processed foods etc.
    - Anything with trans fats (hydrogenated vegetable oils), these are particulary nasty.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

very interesting thread, I eat much fruit during the day good for snacking on, I have also after many years changed from a artificial sweetner to fructose in my coffee, interesting point how much fructose would be bad level and what could the damage be?