Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info opting out of some junk mail

Following on from the BBC news program link this morning, I got a reply pretty quickly.

Just send a blank email to 'optout@royalmail.co.uk' and you will get the following almost by return:

Royal Mail Door to Door

Opt Outs

Kingsmead House

Oxpens Road

OXFORD

OX1 1RX
    Dear Customer

Thank you for your recent correspondence. I understand from your letter/telephone call that you are considering “Opting Out” of receiving Door to Door items. As a company we are quite happy to put the wheels in motion to arrange the cessation of these deliveries to your premises but before doing so, I need to make you fully aware of the implications of “Opting Out” and once you have considered these, get your final written authorisation to cease deliveries of this nature.

The main areas to be considered are:

· This service only relates to unaddressed mail. Mail bearing your address and “To the Occupier” or any other generic recipient information, Royal Mail is still legally obliged to deliver.

· It is not possible for us to separate advertising material and information that you may want, such as leaflets from Central and Local Government and other public bodies. Opting out from Royal Mail Door to Door stops all unaddressed items.

· Opting out means no one at the Delivery point will receive mail of this nature, is this acceptable to everyone inhabiting the property?

· If you simply want to reduce the amount of direct mail addressed in full to yourself you can do so by registering with The Mailing Preference Service. They can limit or reduce targeted direct mail by up to 90%. To obtain an information pack please contact them at:

MPS, DMA House, 70 Margaret St., LONDON, W1W 8SS

www.mpsonline.org.uk

If you still wish to Opt Out of receiving Door to Door, please complete the form enclosed and return it to the above address and we will process your request. Every effort will be made to prevent the delivery of Door-to-Door items by Royal Mail. Exceptionally, if relief staff are used, an occasional delivery may occur.

Please be advised that it may take up to 6 weeks or more for the implementation of unaddressed mail to not be delivered by Royal Mail.

Finally, there are, a number of other companies that deliver material through your letterbox. We have no control over their actions. Again, the Mailing Preference Service, can offer advice on firms operating in your
    area:

Yours sincerely

Barbara Miller

Barbara Miller
    Opt Out Co-ordinator

|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    | ‘Stop Door to Door’ Confirmation Form |
    |-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|--------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------|
    | To:| Door to Door Opt Outs |
    |--------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------|
    | | Royal Mail Door to Door |
    | | Kingsmead House |
    | | Oxpens Road |
    | | OXFORD |
    | | OX1 1RX |
    | | |
    | From:| |
    | Address:| |
    | | |
    | | |
    | | |
    | | |
    | | |
    | Postcode:| |
    | | |
    | Reference:| Request to stop Door to Door mail being delivered to my address |

I confirm that I have read and fully understood your letter advising me of the implications of “Opting-Out” of receiving deliveries of Royal Mail unaddressed ‘Door to Door’ items to my address.

I understand that I may miss important information from local, national or government publications that are sent using this service.

From time to time, Royal Mail would like to contact you with information about our products and services that may be of interest to you. If you do not want to be contacted, please tick here.

Name:

Signature: Date: /
    /20
    Me and my fella spit our dummies out so we won't be coming back. ever. boo hoo.

This is a techy / hackers forum not a fu**ing mothers meeting so - peace out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: opting out of some junk mail

Sounds like a great idea, although most of the impersonal mail we get here falls out from inside the free local papers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shambles View Post
    Sounds like a great idea, although most of the impersonal mail we get here falls out from inside the free local papers.
    i used to be a paper boy (for papers people actually wanted and paid for) and i saw a few letter boxes with wee messages on them saying not to deliver free papers. i assume they worked

my brother delivered free papers too and he got told by a few customers not to bother so he just didnt go back to their houses, you'd just have to do this everytime a new paperboy started i suppose
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPlAnKs View Post
    my brother delivered free papers too and he got told by a few customers not to bother so he just didnt go back to their houses, you'd just have to do this everytime a new paperboy started i suppose
    I have told all the leaflet and free paper idiots to quit delvering here as well and it has done the trick.

Thanks
    Karma Level

it`s not just "free newspapers" either every time I buy a magazine such as a T.V. guide it`s full of the stuff as well, not to mention the the local fast food outlets shoving their leaflets through the letterbox, I get at least 5 items of unwanted junk pushed through my letterbox every week.

Thanks
    Karma Level

the phone calls are a pain too. when they asked if it was me i said no and they were like: "isnt this # *** street" and i said no, so he apologised and said he'd take the number out of the database. havent had another one.

my house is full of the crap those idiots send out
    Wii Code: 4736 5004 1656 0679
    [live=DockingCobra]DockingCobra[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Royal Mail making an issue out of this post man has really backfired on them. if they had just told the bloke off and told him not to do it again the rest of the country would be clueless about these features!

As it is it has been a huge news story on all TV channels and now everyone knows how to opt-out!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Royal Mail are pretending that people actually want this sort of mail.

It is bad for the environment and I have never met anyone who took out a loan based on an advertisement that dropped through their door.
    'If we aren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?'
    Anon.