Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Blocked nose / general bunged up feeling

Anyone else suffer from this?

I wake up every morning and have to blow nose for about 2/3 mins and suffer pretty much all day needing to clear throat etc.

I do try and eat a well balanced diet but have noticed a trend in just eating nuke em meals (be it tesco finest or the like) and not eating much fresh stuff. i'm guessing this maybe the cause but i'm not sure.

I know when I eat a lot of chocolate or sweet stuff it gets worse so I don't really each much of that anymore not a big choc fan.

Any help much appreciated

AJ..
    "The cream has floated to the top" - Midnight_Toker on his work fantasy football team's recent form 08.11.06

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Blocked nose / general bunged up feeling

The way I see it there's a few of possibilties here A.J.

Is it seasonal? possibly a mild form of hayfever. You could be allergic to your pillow or dust in your bedroom so perhaps something like this may help:

http://www.allersafe.co.uk/anti-dust-mite-pillows.htm

Or an air purifier or ioniser can help to improve the air quality in your bedroom, thus helping you breathe better.

It could be some sort of sinus problem, worsened by lying flat at night time, this would explain why it's worse when you get up. Maybe having a vaporiser near your bed would help keep your sinuses clearer or maybe something as simple as an extra pillow?

Ready meals are full of salt and other crap that should be well avoided. Fresh can be a pain in the arse but frozen veg, fish, chicken, rice and turkey are all quick handy alternatives to the convienience of ready meals.

Do you smoke or hang around in smokey places? I find if I've been in a smokey atmosphere (pub, club or bar) then my nose and throat can suffer the next day as it's not my usual environment.
    Last edited by Roach-Rampino; 7th September 2006 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

do you smoke?
    I'm new to this :huh:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Try cutting out dairy for a couple of weeks as well, they cause a lot of phlegm and snot.
    Me and my fella spit our dummies out so we won't be coming back. ever. boo hoo.

This is a techy / hackers forum not a fu**ing mothers meeting so - peace out.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by lin View Post
    Try cutting out dairy for a couple of weeks as well, they cause a lot of phlegm and snot.
    Good advice Lin. Also eggs can be an offender for phlegm.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Give saline nasal irrigation a go, see if a good clear out does it any good.

* Boil 2 cups of water
    * Stir in one teaspoon sea salt
    * and 1/4 teaspoon of sodium hydrogen carbonate (baking soda, sodium bicarbonate)

I use the above 'recipe' during a cold and it's excellent, allow to cool 'til it's warm and sniff up your nose.
    Last edited by headsortails; 7th September 2006 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lin could be on to something, as it sounds like it could be a food intolerance. This can manifest itself in many ways. But inflammation of the sinus and nasal passages and an increase in mucous production are common.

You should cut dairy to start, but also consider cutting wheat, gluten, refined sugars (found in sweets, chocs, processed foods including ready meals etc), refined carbs and caffeine.

You should also be careful when cblowing your nose, as excess blowing, especially blowing it hard will aggrevate the situation and could damage the sinuses leading to longer term sinus issues. If you need to blow, pretend you're blowing cyprus and take it slowly.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers for the quick replies all, tried to answer them in order!

1.) Don't smoke, or hardly go out these days so pretty much smoke free, but I know what you mean when come out of a place thats full of smoke.

2.) I did have some of those anti allergy pillows but have since got new ones (Duck and goose down) went for some nice soft ones earlier this year - that could be part of the problem will dig the other ones out and give them a trial run for a bit see if helps. good shout on this one.

3.) Don't tend to eat too much dairy, a few eggs a bit of cheese here and there but will try cut it out, don't drink much milk as don't usually have breakfast just the the splash in tea and coffee.

4.) @ CJ i do put away a fair few cups of tea and coffee a day they tend to have at least 2 sugars in them could do with a limit of 1 cup of each a day or try some decaf

I do blow quiet hard and sometimes has resulted in mini nose bleeds (Not much blood, short lasting) but it can't be doing me any good.

Going to cut out all fast food + ready meals from today and cut down as much as I can on dairy. will have a go @ making that solution up at the weekend, will keep my mind of eating bad stuff! which I tend to do if bored. I don't put weight on but do tend to have 2 tea's (1 at 6pm another arround 9ish) just got into the habbit of it really, suppose its all the crap i'm eating thats could be the problem at the moment.

Cheers for the advice so far.

AJ
    Last edited by AJ_007; 7th September 2006 at 04:16 PM.
    "The cream has floated to the top" - Midnight_Toker on his work fantasy football team's recent form 08.11.06

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by AJ_007 View Post
    but do tend to have 2 tea's (1 at 6pm another arround 9ish) just got into the habbit of it really, suppose its all the crap i'm eating thats could be the problem at the moment.
    Fuck me.... 2 teas

You may be getting hungry quickly because the foods you are eating at are high in refined sugars/refined carbs, these tend to be high on the glycemic index, which means your body burns them quickly and this raises the blood sugar quickly, giving you a sugar high and a temporoary burst of energy, but your body will soon be screaming out for more fuel.

Try eating foods that take longer to burn as fuel, such as whole grains, vegetables, beans and pulses (not a sugar laden tin of baked beans though) and foods rich in essential fats such as salmon, mackeral, sardines, nuts and seeds. These will make you feel sated for longer and hopefully you can cut those evening meals from 2 to 1.

Eating foods that raise the blood sugar levels quickly means you produce more insulin to regulate the blood sugar. Over production of insulin can lead to type 2 diabetes in later life.
    Last edited by CzarJunkie; 7th September 2006 at 04:28 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    Fuck me.... 2 teas

Eating foods that raise the blood sugar levels quickly means you produce more insulin to regulate the blood sugar. Over production of insulin can lead to type 2 diabetes in later life.
    Right thats the 2 teas stopping. have taken you advice onboard so shopping for me tonight hope it does the trick as its being p*ssing me off for a good while now.