Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Price Check: Xbox 360 Vs. PS3

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/origina...ps3-199625.php

I've updated some on the info (controllers , harddrive and ps3 wireless network adapter).

Update: I was able to confirmwith Sony that the PS3 does indeed come with one controller that is recharged via an incuded USB cable and that the PS3's online basic services will be offered to PS3 users free of charge. Changes made to reflect that, thought I'm still having to guess on the PS3 controller and HD-DVD costs.

Last August I tallied up the "Xbox 360 experience" on Kotaku. The idea at the time was that while the Xbox 360 was as little as $300, that didn't really deliver the full experience and even $400 didn't give you everything you really needed to fully appreciate the Xbox 360.

With a little more than two months before the PS3 launch I think it's time to put Sony's next-gen console through the same ringer. Unfortunately, there are a few key numbers missing, so right not this is just a comparison based on a few best guesses. Please keep that in mind while reading.

First here's a run down of the Xbox 360:

Xbox 360 Standard: $399.99
    Hard drive not included but required for backwards compatibility:$99
    Gold Xbox Live Subscription: At least $49.99 (Likely more.)
    Wireless Networking Adapter: $99.99
    Standard WIRED Controller Included
    Second Wireless Controller: $49.99
    Two Play and Charge Kits: $19.99 times two.
    HD-DVD: $199*
    Total: $936.95

That, of course, didn't include the High Def TV or any games.

So here's the best I can figure for the Playstation 3:

Playstation 3 standard: $599
    PS3 Network Platform: Free
    HardDrive 20GB: Built-in
    Wireless Networking Adapter: $99??*
    HD Blu-ray player: Built-in
    WIRELESS Controller Included
    Second Wireless Controller: $49.99*
    USB charge cables: Free
    Total: $747.99

It's a little hard to do a direct comparison here, because Sony hasn't released the cost of their accessories yet, so I just went with the same price Microsoft is charging, which might be a bad call, though it can't be much off. I also had to guess on the cost of the HD-DVD add-on in the US for the Xbox 360, which is listed at 199 pounds. I can't imagine it would be much less or more than that.

Comparing the two, the loaded Xbox 360 is about $8 cheaper than the loaded PS3 and but that's without the HD-DVD player, tack that on and you're looking at the PS3 being about $200 cheaper. Also, of course, the PS3 does include HDMI support, which the 360 does not. (NOTE: Figures edited/updated above)

Overall, I think both Micrsoft and Sony are charging too much. Yes, I know you get a lot for your money, but that still a ton of cash whether you shell it out over a year or all in one go.

I'll make sure to update this when the real figures for the PS3 controllers and charge kits, if they even exist, come out.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Price Check: Xbox 360 Vs. PS3

first off why would you need 2 play and charge kits for the 360 if you only have 1 wireless controller?

secondly i notice that you have gone for the core 360 then added stuff on for live etc. the gone for the basic ps3 which has them stuff has standard.

wouldnt it be more comparable if you went with the lowest standard that had the most in the box stuff has the other then add on the extra bits that doesnt come has standard?

plus you have added bits like the wireless network and you dont know the price its going to be so has neither are included they should be left off.
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bbshark View Post
    first off why would you need 2 play and charge kits for the 360 if you only have 1 wireless controller?

secondly i notice that you have gone for the core 360 then added stuff on for live etc. the gone for the basic ps3 which has them stuff has standard.

wouldnt it be more comparable if you went with the lowest standard that had the most in the box stuff has the other then add on the extra bits that doesnt come has standard?

plus you have added bits like the wireless network and you dont know the price its going to be so has neither are included they should be left off.
    It's not my article, I just attempted to update the some of the info.

You're correct on the charge kits - it was originally stated like that.
    The stuff for live/online play was already there.
    Aye, wireless network cost for PS3 is a guestimate, hence the '??'.

Thanks
    Karma Level

As bbshark points out the pricing compatability is very much angled against the 360.

I would like to point out that not everybody gives a shite about all that extra stuff. All they want to do is slap in a game and play. In which case the comparison is easy xbox 360 $399. PS3 $599

Thanks
    Karma Level

Gotta be said though that the play whole wireless controller/play and charge kit thing is such a con. If you want a wireless controller you pretty much need a play and charge kit. Nothing more annoying than changing AAs! It should have been included with the wireless controller.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ZX7R View Post
    It's not my article, I just attempted to update the some of the info.

You're correct on the charge kits - it was originally stated like that.
    The stuff for live/online play was already there.
    Aye, wireless network cost for PS3 is a guestimate, hence the '??'.
    sorry didnt notice the link.

just read it and found it very much a sony fan boy site.

Quote Originally Posted by partyman View Post
    Gotta be said though that the play whole wireless controller/play and charge kit thing is such a con. If you want a wireless controller you pretty much need a play and charge kit. Nothing more annoying than changing AAs! It should have been included with the wireless controller.
    you dont need to buy the plug and play kit although i agree changing the AA's is very annoying. but you could just buy 1 plug and play kit and then an extra battery. or you could just buy one of those battery chargers and an extra battery, put it on over night and your go to go for the next day.
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by partyman View Post
    and it may be in the future. End of the day that was the technology produced at the time. Its like the PS2, it had no hard drive, no multitap and no network card built in and when the xbox came out they still did not include it in the box.