Close

Thread: Brick

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Brick

Got this DVD for my birthday and watched it the other night.

Was pretty odd, but I enjoyed it. It stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt (The kid from 3rd Rock From The Sun) and Emilie de Ravin (Lost).

Wasn't sure if it was meant to be a re-make of another film, odd dialog at times led me to think it was trying to be like the Romeo & Juliet film.

Some violence and drug talk, but all in all a good thriller.

Plot goes along the lines of Joseph's character trying to find out why his ex-girlfriend was murdered.

7.5/10

DJ OD
    Last edited by Nikki; 23rd January 2007 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: [2005] Brick

yes posted it in the vip section never watched it may have a wee look for it now after your review.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I personally thought it was too-cool-for-school shambolic arty bollocks. Isn't half as clever as it thinks it is.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by partyman View Post
    I personally thought it was too-cool-for-school shambolic arty bollocks. Isn't half as clever as it thinks it is.

Im sure the version i had was shown on channel 4.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by diablos View Post
    Im sure the version i had was shown on channel 4.
    Really? I only saw it few months ago. dunno if it would have been on TV by now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by partyman View Post
    Really? I only saw it few months ago. dunno if it would have been on TV by now.
    maybe i'm wrong, wont be the first time

Thanks
    Karma Level

I watched this a few weeks ago.

Plot Outline
    Brendan (Gordon-Levitt), smart, and knowing, is content to remain an outsider at his Southern Californian high school until the day that his ex-girlfriend (de Ravin) calls him unexpectedly, begs for his help, and then disappears. Brendan is still in love with Emily, a troubled girl with a bit of a drug habit, and becomes obsessed with trying to find out what has happened to her. But to do so he has to do what he has tried for so long to avoid – to get involved.
    Due to the wierdness of the film and odd directing it's very hard to give it a straight forward review.
    It was good, but as previously said they tried to make it a bit too arty and over the top.

The way they used wierd slang terms for lots of words was just odd (To the point where they give you a list of translations on the sleeve of the DVD). The slang terms aren't that far from the actual words and are all easy to figure out, but you still have to stop and think about what it meant. And with the dialog flowing so fast, you lose track of it because you're still figuring out what they just said.

It was well constructed and has some very good scenes (Notably when he's running away from from the thug in the school, and the scene with the jock when he's trying to get the dealers attention).

Joseph Gordon-Levitt was excellent in it. He plays a very different character to what he's been in before and pulls it off naturally.

Brick takes itself very seriously, and the characters play it absolutely straight. But in the end it fails because, unlike other high school movies, it attempts to deal with adult themes in the scary real world – and the gap between the 1940s source material and the 2006 setting becomes too wide. Why are there never any adults involved? Why do none of the kids own a mobile phone? It all winds up being a little too contrived, a little too bizarre, a little too precious; a stylish, interesting experiment, but difficult to care about

5/10
    Last edited by Epiphany; 22nd January 2007 at 11:40 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

a modern day noir wannabe rip off - cockup / it's like L.A Confidential crossed with Romeo & Juliet set in a modern day high school.

...as stated, it tries to be clever but just confuses the viewer in the process...

The story was actually ok'ish... if only it had been more down to earth it would have been a good film. Shame.

I didn't like it...

3/10