Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default what do you do when you need a tradesperson / contractor?

Just wondered how anyone actually goes through the process of selecting a tradesperson / contractor when they want skilled work undertaken?

I'd aim for word of mouth, I feel that there's so many jippo's out there that if you are in anyway not clued up about what work you need to have done then you'll probably get rinsed out to dry.

Any tips or recommendations? How do you pick 'em?

tia
    I'm new to this :huh:

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: what do you do when you need a tradesperson / contractor?

Unfortunatly I tend to use my BNI contacts.

Through work we belong to a networking group called BNI where local business people meet and pass on refferals. You get to meet some pretty honest and good trades people through it.

Doubt this is any good to you but look at: http://www.bni-europe.com/uk/index.htm

Otherwise dude, I find word of mouth is the next best thing.
    Recent Mac convert...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Actually, as you are in Bristol, what are you after in the way of skilled dudes?
    Recent Mac convert...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I will always try a job myself, so far I have installed lights, sockets, moved a boiler including plumbing from 1st floor into the roof, relaid a floor, painted, replaced tile, replaced taps and a shower etc-Most things are a lot easier than you would think, and it is worth finding out how to do some home diy, or else you are paying some dodgy pikey to rip you off for what could be a 15 min job.......as in your door locks a while ago!
    Word of mouth is probably the best way if you cant do it yourself though, or ask your friends if they know someone in the trade.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fortunately both my neighbours are well connected in the trade world, but unfortunately when i ask them to give there (for example) driveway bloke, they seem to never actually go and do it.

Otherwise its still word of mouth from friends, mates, old neighbours, things like that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I`d go along with Chubblies, I do pretty much everything myself, draw the line at roofing, you save so much money doing it yourself.

Fortunately The wifes Brother & Nephew have their own building Companies so if we can`t do it ourselves we just ask nicely & they get someone round, we have to pay but we don`t get stitched up.

Ask your neighbours & friends for recomendations.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've just brought a flat, it's got some minor work of which I'll do myself, but when it comes to skill stuff like plumbing there's no chance I'll touch it, I can clean a u-bend but I need to install a shower - that's what I'll call in a pro for

Regarding my door locks, yeah I'm still sour about that

Thanks
    Karma Level

Even plumbing is a doddle these days mate, you get push-on connectors, plastic pipes etc all designed for home diy'ers- Use common sense though,ie if you attempt putting in a shower, dont try it unless a suitable power cable is already in place unless you have one put in by a proper electrician, as you dont want to fuck around with water and mains unless you are competant.
    Apart from that, give things a try, at least you can say you gave it a shot if it all goes wrong lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

haha feel like that post is a bit double ended, just go for it, BUT DON'T FUCK IT UP

i know what ur saying and i'm in no way intended on paying some cnut to screw fixings to a wall. But good copper joints and well planned electricals don't go a miss and I might just plan, prepare and leave it the fuck alone

Thanks
    Karma Level

Best approach is to contact a couple of the people in your area who do the kind of work in question. E.G. Ask your local supermarket manager or local publican or even somebody who got that kind of work done recently. Then ring the persons in question and ask them round for a quote on what you want done.Always let them know you will get other quotes. Ask each if they have done work in your area (if they're genuine they will be very willing to respond usefully). Use the knowledge you get from the first to question the next and so on. Be clear about what you want done. A vague spec will operate to your detriment. Never start the conversation with "I need to get this done ......will it cost me much?" Better to say "I want an estimate for this work and how long to do it?" Never divulge what another has quoted and never clinch the deal there and then. Get contact details & not just mobile phone number but place of business too. Ask him if he knows anybody in your area. That way the contractor knows he will have to make a practical offer cos he will not know how you may test his offering and you eliminate the fly-by-night merchants by asking for hard fact contact details. Genuine contractors/tradespeople are never shy about accounting for themselves.
    John-Of-Ireland

Thanks
    Karma Level

Best bet is to do the plumbing yourself using Hep2o plastic pipe mount the shower and hand rail, then get 2 or 3 local sparkS to price job, technically it must be notified to local building inspector, as it now comes under building regs (Part P). Its no longer a case of just installing a circuit for a shower, you have to ensure all bathroom is cross bonded together, all existiing equipment in bathroom is up to scratch for instance light fitting / extractor fan is suitable for the zone installed in and protect by RCD if required.

If you get 2 or 3 quotes and they are all round the same figure then you know the price is right try to pay by CC as then if they are crap in the after sales department and you have a problem then you can contact your CC company has they would be also liable.
    Last edited by syscon; 5th November 2006 at 01:19 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

you are correct best thing is by mouth, but if not then as stated bni.
    I ahve a relative who scouted about first different quotes and then decided which one was reasonable and the dodgey ones, suppose it how you judge people too if they run off with your money or not, leaving a botched job on ya shower.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Usually word of mouth or a search on yell.com but that doesn't always guarantee the service you will get.

Of the many members on this forum they must cover a multitude of trades! Could we maybe have a section for tradesmen to let others on the forum know what they do and the area they cover?
    Rallying .... Because Football, Cricket and Golf only requires one ball.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just for the record...I can point anyone in the South Wales area toward some A+ trades people. The offers there for the minority.
    Recent Mac convert...

Thanks
    Karma Level

DIY is great,they show you how easy it is on the telly.
    Who needs skilled trades,when you can build a house from scratch in 10 mins.

Sure,have a go at things,but DO NOT get involved in water/electricity !

Anyone who says its easy,has just been lucky.
    New shower ?,i know of 2 electricians who've just done "time" for doing it wrong.By wrong,I mean being pressured for a cheap,quick job.

Tradesmen are hard to come by,but if a jobs worth doing,its worth doing right.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beekae View Post
    Sure,have a go at things,but DO NOT get involved in water/electricity !
    Or gas