Close

Thread: Joint pain

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Joint pain

My training buddy is having trouble with his knees. Been about two weeks now since he has been able to do any weight training involving his legs and cardio has been slow or completely out too. I immediately got him on glucosamine, having used it myself before when I was doing 3 hours cycling a day and it worked fine for me. It isnt working for him though.

His diet is pretty good. Protein shake, porridge and fruit mix in the morning. Lunch is usually something like smoked salmon, tuna or chicken in sandwiches with salad. Then a small half portion protein shake before the gym. After the gym protein shake with 4 different types of fruit. Healthy evening meal, containing at least four veg, either rice or pasta with lean meat. Always keeps a packet of seeds in his desk at work to snack on if he's feeling hungry. The protein shake contains a lot of vits/minerals.

Think it needs trip to the docs?
    Last edited by Fresh; 30th November 2006 at 04:40 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Joint pain

Has he had any kind of injury? Has there been any change to his training routine recently?

How old is he? It could be that he has something similar to osgood-schlatters (a mate of mine who swam a lot and did a lot of leg exercises suffered from this).

Although I've seen studies that show glucosamine helps decrease osteoarthritis, I've also seen studies that state that it's not proven to help with joint pains. From what I've seen it looks like it helps some and doesn't work for others, although the possibilty of it being a placebo crosses my mind.

I would recommend getting it checked out. There's no sense in causing himself unnecessary discomfort if it's something that can be solved. We're not doctors after all
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

No change to routine and no injury - just the normal workouts. Hes 23 and hate doctors. F***ing pansy.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If not the docs then maybe a good sports physio? Early treatment of most injuries can prevent deterioration and in worse cases surgery. You should urge him to seek professional advice asap.

I wear knee wraps when squatting my heavy weight reps but do not at lighter weights for the sole reason that I don't want to develop a weakness in my legs (from relying on the wraps for support).

Incidentally there is talk of a link between too much protein and osteoporosis (weakened bones) but the links aren't completely proven. There's plenty of research that has been carried out on the connection between the two, have a search on Google for "protein osteoporosis" and you will see plenty of good articles on it. For example...

"Protein. The role of protein in osteoporosis is not entirely clear. An important 2000 study confirmed earlier reports that adequate protein is important for bone health. Animal protein, which has been associated with bone loss in some studies, was not detrimental. Other studies have also reported thinner bones in people who were deficient in protein. The effect of protein on bone is complicated, however, and laboratory studies suggest that high protein intake may increase calcium loss. And indeed some studies have particularly reported higher bone loss associated with a high intake of protein, particularly when calcium or potassium intake was low. The bottom line may be that in order for protein to be protective, or even not harmful, individuals should also eat plenty of mineral-rich foods. [ See Calcium in Diet and Mineral-Rich Fruits and Vegetables.] In any case, the best sources of protein are fish and soy. "

http://www.reutershealth.com/wellconnected/doc18.html

Thanks
    Karma Level

Prior to stopping leg exercises altogether did he have pain and continue to train on it? To repeat what roachy said, a physio may be a good way forward. If he does this, advise him to try to get one through recommendation rather than just looking thrugh the yellow pages.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by maverick_15 View Post
    Prior to stopping leg exercises altogether did he have pain and continue to train on it? To repeat what roachy said, a physio may be a good way forward. If he does this, advise him to try to get one through recommendation rather than just looking thrugh the yellow pages.
    @ Fresh: If you are near SE London, I have used these people plenty of times, they are excellent.

http://www.physioactive.com/