• Happening for 100's of years, whats the problem

4 14.81%
  • Who gives a fuck, better things to worry about in this world

2 7.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Tail Docking.........

Since it's soon to be made illegal (except for certified working dogs not more than 5 days old, or for medical reasons) under the upcoming Animal Welfare Act 2006, what's everyones thoughts on it?

Here's a link to the Act..
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2006...0060045_en.pdf
    Justice For The 96

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Tail Docking.........

I voted 'about time' even though there is other things more important... etc. a wagging tail is an indication of being a none threatening dog (To other dogs) so I've been told.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

Couldnt agree more, its animal cruelty.
    SUNDERLAND AFC - THE NORTH EASTS ONLY PREMIERSHIP TEAM

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its all about owners vanity,cvnts should've been banned from owning pets.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DappaBastard View Post
    Couldnt agree more, its animal cruelty.
    Sorry Dappa, I disagree totally with that statement

Having had Springer Spaniels for years and worked them I've always had their tails docked because I've seen first hand the damage that barbed wire and certain thorny bushes can do to tails in these situations = deep festering infected cuts that take months and months to heal - even with good vetinary care - thats far more cruel to the animal that having it's tail docked as soon as possible after it's born.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Northernbloke View Post
    Sorry Dappa, I disagree totally with that statement

Having had Springer Spaniels for years and worked them I've always had their tails docked because I've seen first hand the damage that barbed wire and certain thorny bushes can do to tails in these situations = deep festering infected cuts that take months and months to heal - even with good vetinary care - thats far more cruel to the animal that having it's tail docked as soon as possible after it's born.
    Balls !
    Thats the favourite excuse.If the dog DID damage its tail,cant you go to the vet ?
    Worse case scenario,the tail is docked under anaesthetic.
    You hear of dogs irreperably damaging their tails every day eh ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've seen it with a m8's dog Beekae - he didn't get it docked, dog got his tail ripped open in a blackthorn bush and it got infected - vet cleaned and stitched the wound the same day it happened and it took almost 3 months to heal, constantly weeping pus and costing the insurance company a small fortune to keep paying for the vet to drain, clean and dress the wound every few days.

Balls !
    Thats the favourite excuse.If the dog DID damage its tail,cant you go to the vet ?
    If you'd actually read my post instead of just quoting it you'd see i mentioned it had been treated by a vet.

You hear of dogs irreperably damaging their tails every day eh ?
    You's certainly see a lot more if the ban docking for working dogs

Thanks
    Karma Level

i thought it had already been banned (in scotland)

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've seen it with a m8's dog Beekae - he didn't get it docked, dog got his tail ripped open in a blackthorn bush and it got infected - vet cleaned and stitched the wound the same day it happened and it took almost 3 months to heal, constantly weeping pus and costing the insurance company a small fortune to keep paying for the vet to drain, clean and dress the wound every few days.

If you'd actually read my post instead of just quoting it you'd see i mentioned it had been treated by a vet.

As he was a responsible dog owner,with insurance,Im glad the dog kept its tail at no extra cost to the owner.
    How exactly do you,or your "friend" work your dogs ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wonder if they will take up docking for cats? Urbsy will have to try a different approach if they do
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought it had already been banned as well. I used to have a doberman with a docked tail and I felt sorry for the poor bugger having a few knuckles of stump to wag.

Its a fucking disgrace slicing off a beasts appendage like that. If it wasn't meant to be there then it would have evolved that way.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beekae
    Im glad the dog kept its tail at no extra cost to the owner.
    I'm glad you feel that it was worth 3 months of pain and suffering to the dog - if the tail had been docked then the suffering wouldn't have been necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by beekae
    How exactly do you,or your "friend" work your dogs ?
    It varies depending on whether I'm rough shooting, pigeon shooting, lamping rabbits or just beating.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you have a good vet,theres no pain or suffering involved.It isnt the dark ages after all.
    Tell us the truth about docking ?...Go on.
    I think your understanding of animals says it all really.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm glad you feel that it was worth 3 months of pain and suffering to the dog - if the tail had been docked then the suffering wouldn't have been necessary.

It varies depending on whether I'm rough shooting, pigeon shooting, lamping rabbits or just beating.
    Killing for 'fun'.. now that deserves a thread in it's own right

Thanks
    Karma Level

that sort of makes your opinions on whats cruel to animals null and void then

i dont think you should be puting your animals in a situation where they can get hurt. they are pets, you should take pride in giving them the best life you can in return for their love. the only thing humans cant do without animals help is create meat, and those are therefore the only two valid reasons for keeping animals

having a healthy dog is a great hobby, and far more rewarding than getting the anorak out and writing down train registrations or something. most dogs are really happy in their homes and you can tell, they definitly shouldnt have to work in exchange for their board. you, or somebody else, breeds them. they cause them to exist artificially. you are in permanent debt to these animals and need to give them a full and happy life to repay them

a dog in the wild has to work for its food, if they have to suffer captivity then their need to work should be removed with it. there is no need to use animals in this day and age for any manual work. we have machines now, we dont need them.

you might think your dog enjoys running around picking up the things that you've shot, and i'm quite sure it does, but surely you, or somebody at some point, trained it to do this? perhaps trained it further up the family tree and its passed down through doggy generations but it thinks it has to do these things to make you happy, and it shouldnt have to think that. and why would you make an innocent animal run around near barbed wire and thorns that it can cut itself on?

if you are really barbaric enough to enjoy shooting you could perhaps seek membership of a local clay pigeon shooting place. its far from perfect, getting clay everywhere, brining unnessesary guns into society, and making a noise in the countryside, but at least its a start.

people who ride horses as well, wtf are they on? get off your lazy arse and learn to run yourself and try some real competition and not just riding on the back of an innocent animal that you're gonna shoot if it falls and hurts itself as a result of your stupidity. its absoloute outrage that people still do this, if you want to show your skill in controlling a mode of transport rather than running yourself then you could try go-karting or rally driving or something

assuming you do need an animal to provide the one remaining deed we need from them, that being meat, then it can be kept happy and well until it is slaughtered humanely. things like factory farming and battery chickens disgust me as they should disgust anyone else. i think even a shooter, dog worker, or horse rider would agree that a warehouse full of animls with no room to move is horrible.

i dont think i'm even gonna start on halal killing of meat. i can watch anything, i've watched the vidoes of people being beheaded in iraq, never looked away from a horror film. that video of dogs being skinned alive for their fur was horrible but i could watch it and listen to it. the one video i was forced to turn off, the only one in my entire life, was of cows being slaughtered halal style. i didnt even know cows could scream before i watched it.

i've been a bit blankety with my point that we need animals for two basic remaining purposes. we also need their ability to sniff things out for drug raids, we need their 24/7 unconditional working ability to guide blind people. these are a tiny number of animals who are living their lives like this for very good reason, and for very good reason that we havent yet invented mechanical means for. i'd be very shocked if we dont get rid of sniffer dogs within my lifetime, since surely mechanical methods for finding things by smell will become availiable. guide dogs seem less replacable until we can get some bender style robots on the go, so i think the eye conditions causing blindness are likely to be the end of guide dogs

people say they want to continue shooting and fox hunting to continue our hertitage. what heritage is that exactly? the heritage of people chasing foxes and shooting things for fun, without any reason at all apart from the fact that they somehow got off with it once and now need to do it all the time for the sake of hertiage.

i was going to use slavery as an example of something humans used to do and can no longer possibly continue even for nostalgic reasons because we are so deeply ashamed of it, but i noticed that the similarities between working animals and slavery are far more than that. we are selecting an animal at random and making it work for food without giving it any choice to leave. that is exactly what we used to do to slaves. why are we letting this continue?

i'd kill a million animals to get out of the way of a peta vegan "wont eat anything that casts a shadow" smelly hippy person, but they certainly seem to make a few good points here. i think we all need to look at what elements of our lives can be done with less animal cruelty. whether it's buying meat from creditable sources to choosing the fake leather option on your next sofa, there are things we can all do to reduce needless animal suffering and stop all being so horrible. i'm not really asking people to do anything here, its just a matter of picking up a different box of eggs from the supermarket shelf or betting on football rather than horse racing.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You've posted an abbreviated link lampshade so it doesn't work

Thanks
    Karma Level

Surely using that scenario they should also dock there flappy ears too then.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I voted against.

I have 2 springers, non-working, who were docked by the folk we bought them from. I hate docking and think Ruff and Tumble would look far better with their tails. Especially seeing as they are so excitable and loving dogs - their tails (or what they have laft anyway) are forever wagging!

I live in a village where there are a lot of working doigs - i do see the reasons that docking is required for working dogs, hence the law allowing docking for all working dogs (at the vets discretion).

my 2p worth

ptm
    Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough! - http://toastlad.mybrute.com

Thanks
    Karma Level

People will just use the rubber band trick until the tail fall's off. As a dog owner I don't agree with it, but it won't get stopped as it will continue to go on underground.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooed Freak View Post
    but it won't get stopped as it will continue to go on underground.
    That's pretty much the case with any law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast