Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Vario II owner opinions?

I am thinking of getting a Vario II and I just wondered what owners thought of it?

In particular I am interested in the battery life... for example I if you were logged onto messenger via Wifi all day (but only occasionally replying)

... and also software. Do all normal PocketPC apps / Games work on this thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Vario II owner opinions?

most normal pocket pc apps and games work, battery life is strong i had tomtom running for 3 days and used it as a phone, as in i never closed tom tom it was running in background the whole time, its bit crap with tom tom though or its just my tom tom device but you have to pair it everytime you turn tomtom software off and turn bluetooth device off.

their unlocking software out too if you need so you can use it on any network including 3g

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi DG, I got the Vario II the week it launched on T-mobile. Its got great battery life and with wifi you have the option of selecting the power (best quality -> best battery saving) so if you're not too far from the router you can probably get even better battery saving. All the software I've loaded on it has worked flawlessly and because it runs Windows Mobile 5, all but the oldest software should run fine. I use it extensively as a SatNav (TomTom 6) and have not had the same bluetooth issues as amepani i.e. the bluetooth switches on and off with the main program.

My only issue with the Vario is the the slightly iffy build quality and the fact that it feels lightweight for such an expensive device. My last two phones were Treos and they're in a differrent league. but the reason I bought the Vario II was the high speed internet + unlimited web n walk data package from T-mob... and in that respect it hasn't let me down.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hey there,

I got one of these a couple of months back and I am very happy with the thing. size is good enough (there is a new model coming I think end of 1st quarter that seemed to shave a 1/3 off the size, but this is still fine).

Battery life is good, I have run it for 3 hours continuous use while driving with my sling player streaming my home tv using HSDPA on 3g and it lasted all the way and was already half empty when I started the journey! Used on tomtom for long periods of time and no problem (although I installed something at some point that slowed my tomtom right down...) battery life on tomtom good for hours on end of use and phone calls at the same time.

Had a few glitches on the software, but generally pretty good. certainly seems to crash no more than my old nokia n70 (in fact less than that did).

The high speed data and unlimited w'n'w max internet plan at 1.8mbit is what took me to that phone and it works very well.

The only slight issue I have with the battery/ setup of the phone/ my imagination? is that when I use it as a wireless modem on the pc (which I do all day everyday at work, so that my internet traffic doesn't get rooted/ logged through the office network), I have noticed that either the usb cable doesn't work as a charger when the wireless modem software is setup OR that the HSDPA connection uses power slightly faster than it can charge over usb. Either way, towards the end of the day, with the phone quite hot, I seem to have less power than I started with and sometimes running a little low. If I however just leave the phone plugged in over usb and the wireless modem software is not active, I end up with full charge all the time.

However, even if it is not actually charging, it still goes all day in this mode and seems to run my internet faster than our slowly dying work internet connection, so happy days there.

I would certainly recommend the phone if the size is ok for you.
    Last edited by stargate; 15th January 2007 at 05:06 PM.
    Best Regards,

Stargate.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive got the Orange M3200 pretty much the same phone use it with tom tom 6 daily most of the time without charger as the charger I have doesnt allways charge it, sometimes it does but not always??? I have had about 6 hours tom tom use without it going flat.

I have just started using my email account on it and it is set to check every 60 minutes and the batter still lasts so far.
    Last edited by Little John; 15th January 2007 at 06:39 PM.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Giving Back!

Check out this thread (VIP's only)

http://www.digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=292095

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry only have vario 1, but most comments in this link refer to bluetooth, if you use wi-fi for browsing the web, the battery is likely short 3-4hrs but if just for msn might be ok.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've got one now, and I have to say its the most useful (and most used) phone I have ever owned. It has even made the DS redundant with all the touch screen games I have collated.

The only downside is the battery, its defo charge every day (or even twice a day). Which get some getting used to. However, this is not a reflection of the battery life, it is just how much this thing is being used!

Brilliant phone...

If only I could get DF website to be more usable on the phone. Opera improves things, but it is still a bit too difficult to view.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I got a Vario II a couple days after it came out and it's a class phone.
    -=+PhliX+=-

Thanks
    Karma Level

My battery hardly ever dips below 80% because I've got two USB charge/sync cradles (home and office) so its always topped up.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had 3 of these, there bollocks as a business phone.you can surf get emails and texts but if you want to call people while all the above are active you havent got a fipping chance. tmobile took mine ff me and gave me a compact III with a newer os which does all of the above when needed
    [live=tbops]tbops[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    My battery hardly ever dips below 80% because I've got two USB charge/sync cradles (home and office) so its always topped up.
    So basically, what you are saying is that your battery never drops below 80% because you never actually use the battery?
    I'm not entirely sure who this contributes to the discussion about battery life?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtygirl View Post
    So basically, what you are saying is that your battery never drops below 80% because you never actually use the battery?
    I'm not entirely sure who this contributes to the discussion about battery life?
    Sharp as a razor as usual DG
    But I've got a confession to make, I've also got an MDA charger in the car for when I use it as a Satnav, so you're right, I don't actually need a battery
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lol, iv found with smartphones, because of the amound of use they get, its always useful to have a few chargers/usb leads in places where u spend time. Not sure if its an option on these phones but i normally find the lcd brightness can be lowered slightly, while still being fine for use.

Matt