Close

Thread: boiler trouble!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help boiler trouble!

No not the old boiler, trouble n strife, Er in doors etc....

My boilers desided to play up and I neeb a bit of technicle advice. can any one help there in good old DF land?
    I have a Worcester 24i junior boiler that has desided that hot water needs to be put through our taps at a rate of 1 bucket per hour. We have had some bother with limescale in the system and have had a limescale buster thingy put in, but we were still getting lime out of the taps only now the damn boiler has gone on a go slow. If there is a forum where I can get help or are there any plumbers out there able to give advice on how to clear the problem? the boilers only four years old and I have not got the funds to by a new one. however if I can't sort it out I may be having trouble with the other boiler if you know what I mean.

thank in advance Boggyfen

****************************************************************************
    The only reason for my smile is that the police havn't found the bodies yet buhahahaaaaa!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: boiler trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by boggyfen View Post

My boilers desided to play up and I neeb a bit of technicle advice. can any one help there in good old DF land?
    I have a Worcester 24i junior boiler that has desided that hot water needs to be put through our taps at a rate of 1 bucket per hour. We have had some bother with limescale in the system and have had a limescale buster thingy put in, but we were still getting lime out of the taps only now the damn boiler has gone on a go slow. If there is a forum where I can get help or are there any plumbers out there able to give advice on how to clear the problem? the boilers only four years old and I have not got the funds to by a new one. however if I can't sort it out I may be having trouble with the other boiler if you know what I mean.

thank in advance Boggyfen

The only reason for my smile is that the police havn't found the bodies yet buhahahaaaaa!
    is there not a pump thing to make the water go? in my house there is a blue thing that seems to be a pump. cant be too expensive to replace that, looking at it and making a complete guess at how expensive it seems to be i'd say in the low end of triple figures

the electric connection would be a piece of piss(as long as you have working smoke detectors and wear rubber shoes) and if you're keen you could learn how to fit the pipes on from a DIY website probably
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

No it's not the pump i check the flow rate and its fine, however I never thought about the rubber shoes. Is that why everythings gone dark here? and I can smell bacon cooking? mmmm. BACON
    by the way Happy Birthday TwoPlAnKs.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Check the main water supply feeding the boiler and the output restrictor valve, if there is one. A water boiler is basically a pipe with a radiator in the middle that gets heated up, so it will only put out as fast as the water gets fed in, and this pressure is usually regulated at either the input or output by either a stopcock tap or a restrictor valve. Has it always been slow? Is your cold water slow also?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by chubblies View Post
    Check the main water supply feeding the boiler and the output restrictor valve, if there is one. A water boiler is basically a pipe with a radiator in the middle that gets heated up, so it will only put out as fast as the water gets fed in, and this pressure is usually regulated at either the input or output by either a stopcock tap or a restrictor valve. Has it always been slow? Is your cold water slow also?

No it's none of the above I think its down to limescale build up (been trawling the web I got some odd search results when mentioning flow, Restictions). But how I clear it is anyones guess. Looks like I'm going to have to call in the experts.

Definition of an exspert; ex = hasbeen, spert = drip under pressure.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Take the tap apart, its probably chocked with crud,Turn the water off first ,or you could do this in a waterproof jacket and wellies.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry to jump in, but I have a heating problem, 3 of my radiators are warm at the top hot at the bottom but refuse to be bled, 2 are hot all the time (no need to bleed), 1 is hot but can be bled when it gets air. Any suggestions on trying the get the air out of the three that don't seem to bleed. We live in a flat so all are at the same level.
    Download my latest breaks and electro mixes or listen to Sellout Breaks FM

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hxbro View Post
    Sorry to jump in, but I have a heating problem, 3 of my radiators are warm at the top hot at the bottom but refuse to be bled, 2 are hot all the time (no need to bleed), 1 is hot but can be bled when it gets air. Any suggestions on trying the get the air out of the three that don't seem to bleed. We live in a flat so all are at the same level.

When you try bleeding the rads is the pump on or off??.
    The best way is with the pump off.

Thanks
    Karma Level

hxbro - what happens if you turn it upside-down?

When you say it refuses to bleed does nothing come out, or is it water? If nothing then you might need to replace the bleed valve - simple job.

Some other stuff you might try:-
    Sometimes bleeding a radiator does not cure the problem of it not getting hot, if this happens and the radiator has never worked since it was installed or last removed/refitted then:

* Check that the shield valve is not closed down too far - have a look at this page.
    * Check that if a thermostat valve is fitted, it is on the inlet to the radiator not the outlet - these types of valve often need the flow of circulating water to lift the valve off its seat.

If the radiator is not getting hot but it has worked fine at sometime since any work was carried out:

* An air lock may have developed in the pipe work.
    * The inlet or outlet of the radiator may have become blocked, Try opening up both the control and shield valves (count the number of turns on the shield valve so you can reset it).

If all else fails, the radiator will need to be removed and the individual components checked for any blockage.
    http://www.diydata.com/problem/centr...ting/bleed.php
    Last edited by headsortails; 23rd January 2007 at 10:21 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

air doesn't come out, the other radiator that bleeds fine you can hear the air escaping, followed by water once it's all gone.

The radiators are hot till about 3/4 way up then go warm.

I'll check the water pressure and try it with the pump off

Thanks
    Karma Level

rads might need balancing i reckon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hxbro View Post
    air doesn't come out, the other radiator that bleeds fine you can hear the air escaping, followed by water once it's all gone.

The radiators are hot till about 3/4 way up then go warm.

I'll check the water pressure and try it with the pump off
    Is it a combi system?

TIM-MAY!!!

SouthPark

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've managed to bleed the radiators now, a lot of turning the heating on for an hour, turn it off, bleed, turn it on for an hour

This morning I did it and finally got all the air out, radiators now nice and hot

Thanks
    Karma Level

There's normally a little screw type thing on the pump in the combi that you can use to get some air out of your system.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by boggyfen View Post
    If there is a forum where I can get help or are there any plumbers out there able to give advice on how to clear the problem?
    Hi boggyfen

if you've not solved it yet, have you tried here:
    http://www.diynot.com/forums/

Really helpful and great source of info too. There are some great disaster stories (in a disaster sub forum) which are always worth a laugh.

good luck
    MML

Thanks
    Karma Level

If it's a combi boiler it will have an auto air vent, if it's a conventional system you will have a manual airvent(normally in your cylinder cupboard) that you turn by hand until water comes out, then move the motorised valve manually and open the manual air vent again.

TIM-MAY!!!

SouthPark