Close

View Poll Results: How many portions of fresh fruit and vegetables do you consume each day?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-2

29 42.65%
  • 3-4

22 32.35%
  • 5 and over

17 25.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 a day?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 5 a day?

I once managed to eat four bags of opal fruits and drink 6 cans of orange tango, in my lunch hour. I'm healthy as f*ck!

On a serious note Isn't it said that a "portion" should be about fist-sized - handy, because woman, who generally have smaller hands, also need fewer calories.

I'm wondering when these scientist are going to say "actually, that 5-a-day thing was a load of bollox" just like recent research into water consumption (MSN News - 8 glasses a day could be crap, but it might not be, we haven't really decided yet) I think the article was called...
    Last edited by Ganty; 21st March 2007 at 12:21 PM. Reason: I spell like a four year old

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ganty View Post
    I once managed to eat four bags of opal fruits and drink 6 cans of orange tango, in my lunch hour. I'm healthy as f*ck!

On a serious note Isn't it said that a "portion" should be about fist-sized - handy, because woman, who generally have smaller hands, also need fewer calories.

I'm wondering when these scientist are going to say "actually, that 5-a-day thing was a load of bollox" just like recent research into water consumption (MSN News - 8 glasses a day could be crap, but it might not be, we haven't really decided yet) I think the article was called...
    all in all it's not necessarily that you need to eat "5 a day" but it won't kill you if you do, it also won't kill you if you eat less. The whole "5 a day" thing is just to get you thinking about what you're eating, and to try to get you to eat more fruit/veg. If you're trying for 5 a day but only manageing 3, you'll still eat more than if you didn't bother trying at all and just went to Burger King/Mc Donalds/other generic fast food outlet.
    Drinkin' beer in the hot sun
    I fought the law and I won

Thanks
    Karma Level

Heheh - I reckon I get 3-4 on a bad day but on better days I get more than my five I reckon.

Was in Gran Canaria with some mates a few weeks ago and I was shocked to be honest at some of them. I was actually having withdrawals from having no veggies and they were moaning about me wanting them.

I mean .... one day we went to Subway, me and one other went for the salad with some grilled chicken, all the veg, no dressings - the most opposed guy basically had a white baguette smothered in butter, cheese and beef with ketchup.

The chat started about five a day - his included: Ketchup, cherry coke, opal fruits, orange rennies. I'm sure most of it was a piss take but made me chuckle how he thought being a fat fooker smoking 40 duty free fags a day was a reason for bravado!

Now I'm no slim bloke but I'm making an effort at least - surely no veg is a recipe for disaster!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MercuryRises View Post
    all in all it's not necessarily that you need to eat "5 a day" but it won't kill you if you do, it also won't kill you if you eat less. The whole "5 a day" thing is just to get you thinking about what you're eating, and to try to get you to eat more fruit/veg. If you're trying for 5 a day but only manageing 3, you'll still eat more than if you didn't bother trying at all and just went to Burger King/Mc Donalds/other generic fast food outlet.
    Wow, that was a hell of a bump

I've grown up a bit now and consider what I eat much more carefully. Already hit the 5 mark for today with a beasty salad for lunch

Thanks
    Karma Level

it got bumped because someone voted on the poll, I happened to be shitfaced at about 2 am on sunday morning and didn't check the dates (D'oh) and so revived a tread nearly a year old.

See, sometime getting twatted is a good thing!
    Drinkin' beer in the hot sun

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

5 a day and i smell like a sewer
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use a lot of fresh onions and peppers in my cooking nearly every day, and will eat the
    occassional banana but other than that I dont get anything near 5 a day, more like 2 a day.

I agree that under times of great stress/Illness it is important to eat the right foods.
    Last edited by Booyakasha; 15th February 2008 at 07:28 AM.
    You Failed To Maintain Your Weapon

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I almost always have fresh veg with my tea and i'm trying to have an apple a day at work as they've just changed their suppliers and the fruit actually looks nice.

We normally only go shopping once a month and fill the freezer up but this month the mrs has decided to do a month of home cooking and its been ace.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I tend to do my '5 a day' through fruit. I love Oranges and bananas but also love cooking with vegetables. I am looking forward to the day I build my own 'Grand Design' and become self sufficient. I love meat but would not miss it that much.

Can you have too many bananas per day? I sometimes eat 4 in a day!! My stomach does not feel too clever afterwards lol
    We all make mistakes sometimes

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

5+ for me.

I decided last lent (for my sins I am religious) to give up all carbonated drinks (apart from strongbow), and it got me thinking on what I was eating for lunch at work.

There is a sandwich shop over the road that does a £1.95 meal deal.

You get 1 baugette, can of pop or bottle of water, plus bag of crisps or piece of fruit.

So i stop with the crisps and pop and went with water and fruit.

I now go to the supermarket every other day and get apples, bananas, oranges and any other seasonal fruit then into Julian Graves and pickup at 1kg of mixed dry fruit.

It now means I use fruit to snack and no longer have fizzy drinks, crips or chocolate.

At home I have always eaten plenty of veg and salad with my evening meal, and at the moment its great.

We have grown potato's, lettuce, tomatoes, peas, runner beans, carrots and also have a blueberry bush so fresh fruit and veg straight from the garden.

I've pretty much stopped drinking booze during the week, and have packed in the weed. I probably drink 3 to 4 liters of water a day and feel great.

It's amazing how easy it is to get up in the morning, and how much more drive I now have at work.

So if your not getting your 5+ a day, and not drinking 2 liters + of water a day, I throughly recommend you do. You will feel great.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I mostly always have my 5 a day or even more. I always make sure there is fruit and veg in the house.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Social Networking Bookmarks