Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Connecting to home pc & using no-ip

Have a small problem with this, no-ip is set up and running on my pc at home, VNC was also running.

When I got to work, I attempted to connect to my pc using VNC viewer to check it was working (as I only set it up last night), typed in the name/domain I gave my ip (johnrf.blabla.com etc.)and just got a message, now can't remember the exact words but the long and short of it was that the name/domain was correct but there was a problem connecting (I know thats crap but will post exact message tomorrow) Tried this at numerous stages dueing the day and same thing so obviouly not just a temporary "time out".

Anyone have a clue what this message was or what the issue might be?

I will update tomorrow with more details but wanted it sorted tonight in case I need to do anything here (home)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Connecting to home pc & using no-ip

You are using vnc over the internet? You do realise it is un-encrypted, anyone with packet sniffing software can see all your passwords as you type them? It is a good app for local networks, but a big no-no across the internet. Use RDP if anything. Make sure you have enabled the port (5900 for vnc, 3389 for rdp) on the router

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by chubblies View Post
    You are using vnc over the internet? You do realise it is un-encrypted, anyone with packet sniffing software can see all your passwords as you type them? It is a good app for local networks, but a big no-no across the internet. Use RDP if anything. Make sure you have enabled the port (5900 for vnc, 3389 for rdp) on the router
    Use it at work for network but don't use it over t'internet in general. Just wanted to check no-ip was running ok.

By rdp, you mean remote desktop yeah?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by SoundOfFaz View Post
    U
    By rdp, you mean remote desktop yeah?
    Yup

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yup
    Ok, remote desktop is set up at home so should be able to connect from work tomorrow, presumably I would just enter the name (johnrf.blabla.etc.) in the computer name bit?

Also, I haven't set any password so would I just leave that blank?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have never used no-ip so not sure. I have only ever done it by finding the public ip of the machine I want to connect to (www.whatismyip.com) and connecting to that. You are still asking for trouble if you have not even set a password, again anyone could do a lan scan to your public ip, see port 3389 and try to connect, and voila they are straight in as you have not set a password....

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have never used no-ip so not sure. I have only ever done it by finding the public ip of the machine I want to connect to (www.whatismyip.com) and connecting to that. You are still asking for trouble if you have not even set a password, again anyone could do a lan scan to your public ip, see port 3389 and try to connect, and voila they are straight in as you have not set a password....
    There is a password set to my no-ip name so maybe that will be prompted?

I'll have a go tomorrow.

Thanks
    Karma Level

actually, rdp will NOT work without a password.
    Configure Remote Desktop

To connect using Remote Desktop, you must have a user account with a password. If you don't yet have a password on your account, create a password by opening Control Panel, and clicking User Accounts. Click your account, click Create a password
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p_03may16.mspx

the only way to connect via remote desktop is to an account with a password.

and if you can, test in the house first on the internal network, just connect to the computer name and ensure you allow all firewall popups or whatever so that you give it access.. otherwise ull get to work, hit connect, get nothing and have to accept the connection thru the firewall when u get home and try next day (done that once or twice).

http://www.no-ip.com/support/guides/...e_desktop.html

edit: oh, and ensure the port is open on your router (3389)
    Last edited by marcode; 21st February 2007 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

have you told no-ip what port to use? as afaik they default to port 80 and so by trying to enter in your no-ip domain with a random port isn't going to work.
    [CENTER][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Real pirates don't [I]STEAL[/I], they [/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]SHARE[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/B][SIZE=1]Unless they are cunts, then they just leech...:happy:[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by marcode View Post
    actually, rdp will NOT work without a password
    Didn't know that, every day is a school day! Also, make sure you have a good password on the administrator account, as it is the default "hacked" account

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fusen View Post
    have you told no-ip what port to use? as afaik they default to port 80 and so by trying to enter in your no-ip domain with a random port isn't going to work.
    default is DNS A record, not port 80 redirect.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by marcode View Post
    default is DNS A record, not port 80 redirect.
    I got rid of no-ip as I found this link to allow port 3389 on my router http://portforward.com/english/route...te_Desktop.htm

Also, as it said I needed a static ip I followed this guide http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Did all that and could connect to my pc from lappy no probs (had to add a password onto my windows account)

Still can't get on from work though, presumably something at work stopping me connecting?

Thanks
    Karma Level

yes ive got a (external ISP) static ip too, but i still use no-ip so i dont have to rembember it.

you need an internal static ip so that your router knows where to send packets destined for 3389.

if you set the router to forward traffic for 3389 to the IP that the computer remote desktop is enabled on, the ip has to remain the same, or the router wont know where to forward to...

lappy->pc will work fine on the internal network cos your (im assuming) using your internal network ip, so the router knows where your trying to connect to...

but if your connecting from outside, the router doesnt know which internal IP its to send traffic to, so you have to set up NAT/open ports/port redirection (depending how your router does it) for 3389 to tell it.

eg i tell my router to open port 3389 only on the internal ip for the machine which runs remote desktop..

i feel im probably trying to explain in vain.. i dont think you have the mental capacity to set this up on your own to be honest.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It is likely that your work is blocking port 3389 access as 99% of companies will do this.

ALL of the user accounts in windows (except guest) have to have a pwd set for rdp to work.

Rename the administrators account to something else and set a strong pwd, that's the safest way to protect the admin account for rdp.

No-ip works fine for me

and after all that...use logmein.com as you don't need a static ip and it will get around your companies fw, it's also free
    You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be all right!