Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Goodbye Vario, hello Treo

Just sold my MDA Vario II and picked up a nice little Vodafone Treo 750V running the same WM5 OS and with 3G HSPDA enabled (via hack).

Feature-wise it is inferior to the Vario e.g. no wifi, video calling and only a 1.3Mpixel camera and its also about £50 cheaper.. but for me personally its a lot easier to live with and I really dig the one-handed operation and smaller, thinner form factor.

All in all, I'm now one happy camper
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Goodbye Vario, hello Treo

Varios are just a bit too big to be comfortable, Treos are definitely better over all (Blackberry 8*** series are just modded Treos) I however am soooo chuffed with my W950i, great phone, great PDA and a 4gig mp3 player!! I think SE have the market sussed at the moment, best implementation of Symbian (990 is a bit of a lemon compared to the 910) at the moment, Nokia seem to get very close but don't quite manage.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    Varios are just a bit too big to be comfortable, Treos are definitely better over all (Blackberry 8*** series are just modded Treos) I however am soooo chuffed with my W950i, great phone, great PDA and a 4gig mp3 player!! I think SE have the market sussed at the moment, best implementation of Symbian (990 is a bit of a lemon compared to the 910) at the moment, Nokia seem to get very close but don't quite manage.
    If the W950i had a QWERTY keyboard I would definitely be interested because I love the small form factor, however I might need a little more convincing re: Symbian, I've had two P9xx phones and couldn't stand them because of their half arsed Symbian OS.

The best smartphone OS IMHO is Palm OS, followed by Windows Mobile and then Symbian.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Biggest issue I have with Sony Ericsson's at the moment is that they dont make a HSDPA handset.... They have got most of the rest of their shit together, with good music performance and generally pretty nice phones, but lacking HSDPA would be a killer for me.

As for the Treo - I just don't like the look of them at all (or blackberry's of the Nokia E61, etc). I hate the full keyboard being always out (although a normal number pad would be nice). A thinner Vario II would be my ideal, with more memory built in for the OS/ Apps that don't like playing from memory cards too well, etc. I could actually skip the Wifi as I find I hardly use it with the web'n'walk tariff I'm on, so roll on thinner Vario's I say.

I just don't get why sooo many people seem to like those qwerty keyboards out all the time. makes the phone too wide/ reduces screen size
    Best Regards,

Stargate.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by stargate View Post
    Biggest issue I have with Sony Ericsson's at the moment is that they dont make a HSDPA handset.... They have got most of the rest of their shit together, with good music performance and generally pretty nice phones, but lacking HSDPA would be a killer for me.

As for the Treo - I just don't like the look of them at all (or blackberry's of the Nokia E61, etc). I hate the full keyboard being always out (although a normal number pad would be nice). A thinner Vario II would be my ideal, with more memory built in for the OS/ Apps that don't like playing from memory cards too well, etc. I could actually skip the Wifi as I find I hardly use it with the web'n'walk tariff I'm on, so roll on thinner Vario's I say.

I just don't get why sooo many people seem to like those qwerty keyboards out all the time. makes the phone too wide/ reduces screen size
    I can't text for shit, so I'm limited to phones with a Qwerty keyboard, and out of all the smartphones on the market none of them have implemented a keyboard which I've found statisfactory. My Vario II has the slip out one which means you need two hands to support the phone and type, the MDA Pro has a clamshell design which makes it huge and the P910 had a keyboard on the flip which was tiny, uncomfortable and generally crap.

You'd think I would have learnt by now... I've had 4 Treos 180>600>650>750 and although I may try out other phones in between, I always find myself coming back to the same tried and tested forumula
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have to admit I would prefer qwerty but the handwriting recog is so good I don't really miss it. I started out on Psions before they had qwerty but loved the 3 and 5 series for thumb typing. I have to disagree about symbian, again coming from Psion I still think the UIQ is better than Nokia efforts, I always prefer a PDA phone to a phone PDA though.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .