We’re struggling through, friends, and we’re beginning to cover some ground. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is truly an epic undertaking. We’ve seen a lot so far but I’m sure that we’re going to see a lot more before the end. In this hour we’re going to see through the Goron Mines; our second dungeon. Onwards.
hours played 07.51
It’s a cosy little haunt here, these Gorons sure know how to decorate. Pillars of fire and cold bare rock are my only friends in this first room. Though a couple of classic button puzzles keep my mind off scary things like that for a few minutes at least.
hours played 07.56
They’re an industrial lot these Gorons. The second room, at first, glance is very mechanical: metal walkways, rotating platforms and even a crane dominate here. Don’t get me wrong, I like this race as much as the next Hero but how do they make all this stuff with their chubby fingers? And surely those big, fat rock bellies must get in the way during the fiddly bits.
I’m surprised they ever got past the planning stages quite honestly.
hours played 08.00
In the brief few minutes that I’ve been playing these mines for I’ve already seen a few new enemies. My favourite so far is the one I’m fighting now: a dodongo. These fire-breathing gecko-type things are invulnerable to all attacks apart from on their tails so they take the gameplay that one necessary step away from the constant and monotonous hack ‘n slash. You’ve got to put a little more effort in with them.
During a chain-pull section here (using my iron boots as anchor) I am further reminded – as if standard exploring is not enough – just how beautiful the animation is in this game. Who needs a powerhouse PS3 when you can have games as gorgeous as this and for a fraction of the price?
hours played 08.05
I’m putting my heavy iron boots to an even better use now than in the last entry. A switch at the bottom of a deep pool has turned the inaccessible walkway above into a magnet. I just shoot straight up and, casual as anything, can now walk upside down. Well, until I accidentally remove my boots, fall and break my neck that is…
hours played 08.07
If there’s one thing you can say about a Zelda dungeon it’s this: you can just never tell what’s going to be past the next door. Right in the middle of all this enemy-infested, maze-like, lava chaos I stumble into a calm room and find a frail little Goron elder.
Story goes that I’m going to find more like him too. A key that I need to progress has been split into shards and I’ve gotta catch them all, to steal another catchphrase. He gives me my first and sends me on my way. Just when I thought this was going to be a really short dungeon too…
hours played 08.10
I’m reunited with my weird mutant chicken friend Ooccoo without even realising that we went our separate ways in the first place. She claims to have the ability to warp you out of dungeons at any point and return you to that same exact spot when you wish to return. I remember that I never actually tried out this feature when we were in the Forest temple together so I try it now.
Shock! Horror! Ooccoo is no liar. With the help of her – even weirder – son (daughter?), she warps me out and takes me back no problem.
This would’ve come in very handy in previous Zelda games.
hours played 08.20
I get my first taste of one of the old diamond-shape switches from previous games now. It may not be very exciting to you but to me it’s yet another welcome familiar face in this epic game.
hours played 08.28
I’ve found my second elder but not before I had to traverse perhaps the coolest rotating magnetic platform puzzle in any game ever (the only rotating magnetic platform puzzle ever?). These iron boots of mine are so handy here.
Armed with my next piece of key shard I continue. Though the elder mentioned a priceless weapon that may aid me on my quest. It’s mine for the taking, I just have to speak to the guard. He’s nowhere in sight. I must find him!
hours played 08.30
News, generally, travels fast in this place. Both the elders I’ve met so far have been awaiting my arrival – or, at least, known of my presence. No one remembered to tell this guard though. It was all supposed to be so easy. I was just going to walk up to him, and ask him to hand over his priceless weapon that he’s been guarding for so long. But no, he wants to fight me for it. Ah well, here goes…
hours played 08.40
A good beating later and my inventory is one Hero’s Bow up. Though, I’ll be honest, that guard was a tricky one. Far more difficult than our last temples boss, Diababa, this miniboss killed me a few times before I worked out a nice tactic and ended it. If the difficulty increases this much per dungeon, I can foresee some tough times ahead.
hours played 08.45
Got the last elder’s key shard now and, I gotta say, this is the coolest elder yet. If I was a Goron I’d want him to be my grandpa or something. I love his style. Play this dungeon and tell me if you agree.
hours played 08.50
It’s upside-down mania in this place! I’ve said before in this guide how much I love the puzzle element in Zelda games but with this new dimension to fool around with in Twilight Princess they’ve really been taken to new levels.
After solving a bunch and taking on a mob of enemies in one of my favourite sword fights so far I find myself standing at the boss door. It’s time to finish this.
hours played 09.00
Fyrus (Twilit Igniter) has Peter Jackson written all over him. Upon first seeing him he’s reminiscent of a captured Kong; a King now in chains. Then, in a blink, his fiery Balrog qualities soon become apparent. Well, both of those, mixed with a little Star Wars Rancor for good measure. He’s a big guy.
Upon his defeat – which, I’d like to point out, was ten times easier than the guard earlier in this dungeon – he transforms back into his usual Goron-self, Darbus, and I get my second fused shadow for Midna. But I think there’s more yet to learn of her story… Why does she want these things?
We’ll find out, soon enough.
read previous entries in the series: