Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Smashed jaw and teeth, loosing weight (too) fast. Ideas on how to maintain weight?

Hi,

New to this section of the forum, and I'm not sure if it's the best place to ask but here goes...

I've got a broken jaw (been reset) and some of my teeth are cracked / smashed etc... The top and bottom of it is that I can't eat anything resembling solid food and my weight has dropped 2 stone in 3 weeks.

I'm trying to find anything that will help me to maintain weight till it all gets sorted out as there is very little fat on me left and I'm starting to feel tired all the time. Up to now I'm on a mix of Complan, soups and Ready Brek if I'm feeling adventurous.

I've been advised to avoid added sugar stuff as I can't brush my teeth properly. I've got a blender on standby if it's any use.

I'm looking for ideas as to what I should be looking at to try and stabalise my weight and get some energy and fat in without having to chew. All ideas welcome?

Cheers guys...

Crossman.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Smashed jaw and teeth, loosing weight (too) fast. Ideas on how to maintain weight

I'd probably have a look at meal replacement meals, the standard weight gain drinks that are mentioned in quite a few of these threads, then just down a few of those.

Also you could look at blending normal food to turn it into slush(not a very nice though but at least you'll get all the nutrients and shit)
    [CENTER][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Real pirates don't [I]STEAL[/I], they [/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]SHARE[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/B][SIZE=1]Unless they are cunts, then they just leech...:happy:[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Smashed jaw and teeth, loosing weight (too) fast. Ideas on how to maintain weight

What happened man? If you don't mind me asking? Sounds bloody painful.

Thanks
    Karma Level

use the blender, be adventurous.

Tuna and OJ is supposed to be good, as is tuna and dietcoke

Buy some whey protein, mix with water in blender, throw some fruit and oats in blender and blitz the lot. Fruit, carbs and protein, have this a couple times a day.

Mix protein with ice cream in blender, don't know if this will work but if it does i reckon it will tastes the mutts nuts (not literally).

Being adventurous is the key here, try anything that comes to mind.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You're in a fairly unenviable situation, not just because of the injuries but because it's hard to eat a balanced diet when you can't actually eat. The blender must be your best bet. Get some unflavoured protein (there are plenty of sites you can order from but that might take a few days so you can just go to a shop) and mix it with fruit and ice cream. Try adding things that you know are good for you and mixing it all up. Babies get all they need from blended food and you can too. It won't be the most appetising prospect though. How long are you supposed to be like that for? Did your doctor give you any advice?

Edit: I must stop opening tabs and answering them 20 minutes later and repeating people
    Last edited by maverick_15; 22nd April 2007 at 08:56 PM.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

your best bet will in my expereance will be forty sips or any other quality meal replacement drinks.
    they generally give these to the old and frail or i have seen them used with junkies doing cold turkey.
    but i used them instead of milk for my porridge on a morning when is was into the bodybuilding years ago to boost my calorie intake before it got lazy....then fat

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks all, cheers for the advice.

inspironx, Long story cut short was running to put a pay and display ticket in the car so I could catch a train train. Fell, put my arms out but I'm guessing because of the momentum got dragged under me as I was skidding along and then my jaw hit the deck, broke my jaw (and fractured it in another place) and smashed a few of the back teeth. Apparently the break runs along the underside of my gums from the front of my mouth to the back left. It's been reset and got some kind of titanium bar and screws in. Needless to say I never caught the train I was in a hurry for, lesson learned. Strangly the jaw doesn't ache now it's been reset and the worst part of it (other than not eating) is the tooth ache where the teeth are cracked down to the nerve. It's also num on the left side from my chin at the bottom to my lip round to my cheek. They reckon it's anyones guess when and if I'll get the feeling back. Saying all that when I was in hospital there were alot of people in there that were in alot worse a state so I'm kinda lucky really.

super mike, Cheers. I'll mark that down for tommorow and see how far I get with the blender. Will post back with results. If nothing else should be fun...

maverick_15, Likewise cheers. Well my jaw is wired shut at the moment till a week on Thursday and then I think there is some emergency work to be done on the teeth. I've spoke to a few others that have broken there jaw but not the teeth and they reckon it's eight weeks from the op before it's possible to eat somewhere near peoperly. Doctor did'nt mention anything beyond a soft diet. To be honest it's taken me by suprise how quickly the weight dropped off. I lost a load of blood over the whole incident which I don't suppose would have helped.

wiggi28, Cheers I'll take a look and see what is available.

Thanks once again to all...

Crossman.

Thanks
    Karma Level

No here is the confusing bit... I have been constantly told in my life (by various men) that spunk is a great source of protein, but not one of you guys has suggested this to your fellow male????

Thanks
    Karma Level

spunk is meant to have 400 odd calouries i beleive in every shot, although i doubt he'd wanna taste his own or slurp anyone elses, it could get a bit chewy.

id go for the weight gain shakes matey, always worked for people i know. all the best in your recovery

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Crossman View Post
    Thanks all, cheers for the advice.

inspironx, Long story cut short was running to put a pay and display ticket in the car so I could catch a train train. Fell, put my arms out but I'm guessing because of the momentum got dragged under me as I was skidding along and then my jaw hit the deck, broke my jaw (and fractured it in another place) and smashed a few of the back teeth. Apparently the break runs along the underside of my gums from the front of my mouth to the back left. It's been reset and got some kind of titanium bar and screws in. Needless to say I never caught the train I was in a hurry for, lesson learned. Strangly the jaw doesn't ache now it's been reset and the worst part of it (other than not eating) is the tooth ache where the teeth are cracked down to the nerve. It's also num on the left side from my chin at the bottom to my lip round to my cheek. They reckon it's anyones guess when and if I'll get the feeling back. Saying all that when I was in hospital there were alot of people in there that were in alot worse a state so I'm kinda lucky really.
    You have my sympathy Crossman, it goes to show how a split second can have such a massive impact (no pun intended) on your life. My mum has had an op on her jaw twice now, similar to yours, having the jaw broken moved and set with pins and screws.

Fruit smoothies were the answer at first but she became very sick of them after a while and obviously you have been told to watch the sugar intake as it will rot you teeth. This may sound odd and I don't know what your diet was like before but this could be a great opportunity to really load up on a great amount of nutrients, vitamins and proteins that you wouldn't normally bother to do so. By experimenting with different combinations and blending them up you can enjoy a very broad range of vegetables. I have a great book on different smoothies, from sweet to savoury so I will post some recipes up for you in the The DF Cook Book smoothie recipes section later.
    http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=274383
    Is there anything you particularly don't like?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ouch man! Well I guess it's better than someone beating the crap out of you!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    spunk is meant to have 400 odd calouries i beleive in every shot, although i doubt he'd wanna taste his own or slurp anyone elses, it could get a bit chewy.

id go for the weight gain shakes matey, always worked for people i know. all the best in your recovery
    it's not that much, it's about 15. but i still wouldn't shoot my load into my mouth

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    I doubt it or people would be using it as a weight-loss technique!
    Gunny