Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Xbox 360 Blu-ray coming to the 360?

Article by Rachel Konrad 06/04/07 The Associated Press

There is Bad news on the horizon for X-Box 360's HD-DVD Drive owners as Peter Moore told Rachel Konrad on a recent trip to Japan while entering negotiations with Pioneer. Microsoft's Xbox corporate VP of worldwide marketing and publishing Peter Moore told Japanese site ITmedia that the imminent release of the Blu-ray Xbox 360 peripheral could appear for the system before Christmas. Moore admitted that Microsoft's opinion on HD-DVD as the Next Generation format winner is bleak with the worst-case scenario being a repeat of the Beta vs.VHS war of the '80s. Moore also added Microsoft is giving the consumers the most cutting edge technology out there and In this moment in time Blu-Ray is that.

As per usual Peter Moore couldn't help but have a go at Sony and the PS3 "However, he suggested that whatever the outcome of the HD-DVD/Blu-ray war, the Xbox 360 can adopt the dominant format since its uses an external drive. He also suggested that it's a weak point for PlayStation 3, saying Sony's system is stuck with only 1 format. Microsoft announced the Blu-Ray peripheral will connect to the Xbox 360 using one of the system's USB ports. Moore once again confirmed that the Blu Ray add-on for the Xbox 360 is only for watching movies, and there are currently no plans to use it for games, nor are there plans to release an Xbox 360 with an internal Blu Ray drive.
    This is surely good news for all xbox owners as it will give us the choice of either format, but how much is a standalone blu-ray player going to be by december? probably around the same price as the add-on judging on previous technology and price drops.
    Last edited by lloydi; 8th May 2007 at 07:22 AM. Reason: just damn right bad spelling

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Blu-ray coming to the 360?

if there going to do that would rather wait for a dual reading drive for it i know that would be more expensive but it would shut the moaners up about how much room the unit is taking up already (i have the hd-dvd drive by the way size not bother me)

but my guess would be its maybe to early in the format "war" to take this step just yet
    Last edited by steve10574; 8th May 2007 at 07:53 AM.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well luckily enough I don't have a HDTV yet or I would be pretty pissed. HDDVD drivers should drop like crazy if blu-ray comes out as they have already been reported to drop in US. Hopefully this will help them compete against Sony but as Sony own part of Blu-ray won't they try charging M$ stupid prices for media?

Guess thats why Blu-ray games aren't an option, Sony won't boost prices on films and sales will just rise for them anyway.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Piss poor is all i can say.

Thanks
    Karma Level

its a logical step if HD DVD becomes obsolite but its a poke in the eye to everyone who has already bought the HD DVD addon. Theose people knew the risks tho, as did the people who are going out and spending 400 quid plus on stand alone machines.

yet again moore makes himself look an ass with comments like "He also suggested that it's a weak point for PlayStation 3, saying Sony's system is stuck with only 1 format."
    Why does he assume that the 360 can use external drives and because PS3 can't do the exact same thing through its USB ports?

Sonys decision to include blueray as standard was an arrogant one but if it becomes the markets choice the PS3 owner has a cheap HD movie player, if it doesnt he still has the use of the massive storage for games, if the same happens to a 360 owner with the HD addon he's stuck with a ugly paperweight.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not impressive, this could be a very damaging move on microsofts part..they have chosen their format and they should stick with it and support it.

I quite liked microsofts open strategy but perhaps it is becoming too open, the choice
    of too many console packages, add on's , and now external drives is simply bewildering
    to the average consumer..if anything it i will just result in consumers going for a wii or a ps3 as its a lot clearer what you are buying.