Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Xbox 360 Forza 2 Demo - Mini Review

Ok, here is a quick mini review of the Forza 2 demo for all those thinking about giving it a download….

Demo Size – 696 Meg

Amount of cars you can Drive – 24 (3 classes of 8 cars)
    Class C – Sporty cars that Joe Bloggs could own (Mazda RX8 etc)
    Class A – The expensive street cars (Porsche etc)
    Class RC2 – Purpose built “le man” type Cars

Tracks you can drive – Just the one.

Race Options – You can only drive a 3 lap race (against 7 other cars)
    (but you can do this as many times as you want, trying different cars etc)

My Test setup

32” LCD at 720p
    2.1 Speakers
    Tried both Wireless Pad & MS steering wheel

Graphics

Tuff one. On the good side the FPS are stuck at a silky smooth 60fps. There seems to be zero slowdown no matter what happens on screen. The viewing distance also is amazing there seems to be no part of the track you can’t see quite clearly, no matter how far away. It seems this game has been tweaked for driver game play (where smoothness and viewing distance is key).
    The graphics them self are very nice but they are NOT the massive jump forward that everybody seems to be expecting. To be fair I can understand why people would be disappointed because it seems on par with PGR3. However when you take into consideration that PGR3 has a side viewing distance of about 1 inch from the side of a racetrack to where a building is.... and then you see the hills, trees, spectators in Forza 2 that do look very 3D and not a cardboard cut out you then realize there is quite a bit of a jump forward.
    The cars themselves suffer from the usual “just come out of the showroom” syndrome and are very shiny and reflective (you see some neat shadows and reflections in the paintwork). Yeah there are some jagged edges to be seen on cars but mainly just your own car in the external view modes. Oh that reminds me, you get 4 views. 2 behind car views, 1 bonnet view (but you don’t always see a bonnet depending on what car you are driving) and 1 sitting on the front bumper view. There is NO cockpit view (which is disappointing). You can also pan around the car while you are in the behind car view. This shows off some neat features, like the wheels and the disc brakes that glow under braking. Its hard to describe but the way the wheels look and turn combined with the disc brakes that look “active” it does look very real… but it strikes me as being a strange thing to put so much detail on! Another neat (but useless) detail is you can actual pan around the car at amazing speed (like 500 mph)... and it is all silky smooth.
    Racing effects are a little disappointing. If you catch a kerb you get a little “puff” of dirt smoke... which is very “last gen”. When you lock up brakes you leave a skid mark on the track… and that’s about it!

Sound

Again I can see people not liking the sound much. For a start there is no game music, just menu music… this is something I like but I can see others not. The actual in game sound is very configurable. However the default setting is to have all the volumes at full blast which makes it very noisy and unrefined. I turned down the sound for the other cars and the tire squeal… leaving the engine and the crash noises up high. This made it less garbled and more able to hear the sweet roaring engine. Until you have tweaked though, the sound will be very unimpressive.

Controls

At first I tried the wireless pad and I was surprised how good it was. In PGR3 I felt the steering on the pad was too easy to over compensate on the steering. In Forza when you have all the driving aids turned on, it is very easy to get around the track. All you have to do is make sure you slow down enough for the corners or you will under steer and end up on the grass (which usually ends up in a spin). Turn off the driving aids and it gets very interesting with mainly brakes locking up and a load of over steer if you try and accelerate to hard out of a corner. Again the pad coped very well my only complaint really was the end triggers for the brake and accelerator don’t seem to have enough travel for my liking when you are tip toeing on the brake and throttle. Oh and there seems to be no rumble effects at all on the pads?
    I then went onto the Wireless steering wheel. What can I say? Yes they have used the force feedback to great effect, you feel the pull on the corners, the car kick out in over steer / brake lock situations. You feel the rumble as you go over the rumble strips and go off road. Its all there. Driving with wheel is very natural and very fun when you are fighting the Merc SLR side wards through a corner trying to get the bugger to grip. If I had one complaint of the wheel it would be that the force strengths should be stronger but that is a fault of the wheel and not the game.

Crash Damage

This is the area I was mostly disappointed with. This is another game that has piss poor crash damage. At first I tried a few laps of high speed crashes into the walls. As a result very little happened. My paintwork changed to “scratched”. I lost my wing mirrors and I was able to crack some windows and loose the brake lights…. Wow. However after several high speed wall incidents the car only really looked like it had only been through a bad automatic car wash!
    I then went on to attempt some PIT maneuvers on other cars... and I got a bit more success. I was able to knock off the other cars rear bumper. Then after I went around the track again it was still on the road… and was able to drag it along! Actually, I think I am going into too much detail here… overall its poor and not worth talking about.

Physics

I think this is where the game excels. Its hard to give this game a full review but I would say it is definitely more of a simulation than a PGR3 arcade thing… but then again the driver aids makes it feel "arcadey" to those who want it. The variation of the cars feel right in their differences and the scale of power. For example in PGR3 some of the more power full cars were stupidly hard to get on any power without loosing the back end. In forza, you still get this kind of thing but the balance seems to be what I would expect and not overally silly (like PGR3)

My only disappointment was that it seems possible for someone to nudge you from behind and either totally muck up your braking and miss a corner or send you into a spin. However, when I tried ramming others or the old PIT manoeuvre (which I tried a lot) I could not really cause the other cars any problems! Maybe I just need better US police training!
    The other thing that gives me confidence in this game is the replay telemetry data. Jesus I have never seen the like… every thing is logged in real time... from the usual RPM to suspension data. This shows that the game is built up from a foundation of serious physics. I know the game will have a lot of car mods available (not avail in this demo). I can see the mods easily having in game physical effects.

Conclusion

If you are a casual driver and just want a racer to look good, then this is probably not going to appeal much. It is definitely not going to be the star attraction to show your mates.

If you are into your driving, then I think this game is going to give you something to get your teeth into. It doesn’t matter if you haven’t got a wheel because this is also great with the pad. Obviously the wheel is a better experience but the pad has been so well tweaked that it is still very playable. Combined with the controls, the frame rate, viewing distance and detailed physics I would say this is definitely designed for the driving experience and not for the eye candy!
    Last edited by MsDG; 11th May 2007 at 12:28 AM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Forza 2 Demo - Mini Review

Good review, I found it a bit underwhelming too but let's give it a try when it arrives in full

p.s. I found it hard to get the car into the air, even a full lock & handbrake stayed as flat as a pancake.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice review,

Its a shame about the lack of roll on the cars, and also is it me, or do the cars seem to be sort of Floating, rather than siting on track???

After all the hype this game seemed to open up, then it is rather disapointing...

Im just hopeing PGR4 doesnt disapoint.....
    Im on a Digital Mission..... LOL....

Thanks
    Karma Level

One thing I really can not understand was this game was touted as the racer fans game but they dont have a cockpit cam?...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I must agree I was a little disappointed in the visuals and the fact that there isn't a in car view. I was just expecting it too look amazing and it just looks like a hi res version of the original without much else.

Although thats not to say Its not gonna be a great game its just that it could have been a awesome game...........

Oh well........

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    One thing I really can not understand was this game was touted as the racer fans game but they dont have a cockpit cam?...

It seems to me that the priority of this game is performance and not graphics. I guess the cockpit cam must have been causing slowdown issues.

Anyway, I don't really agree that true racer fans prefer cockpit cams. The inclusion is always a bit of a novelty than actual any use. In real life you always concentrate just on the view ahead out of the windscreen. When you are playing the game with a steering wheel the setup is much more realistic with the bonnet cam. I.e. The wheel is the interior and the screen is the view at the front window. The only thing that slightly messes this up is the "on screen" dials (for speed and revs). This is why serious PC drivers have real analogue speed/revs dial mounted on their steering wheels which are linked up to a USB output of live telemetry data.

Now they could have enabled serious racers to have a great setup just using the current views if they enabled the multi xbox / multi screen setup to have one screen just showing the speed dials etc. That way you could have the dials displayed on a 7 inch monitor strapped to your steering wheel. Unfortunately I don't think they have and just instead concentrated on have eight monitors in a 360 view. Which is just a novelty and not much use to serious racers. I mean, come on... the 6 & 7 monitors (rear l & R windows) would never get used... but I expect pics and google vids to appear of someones amazing Forza setup.... Octagon built room, steering wheel setup in middle, 8 xbox 360's, 8 HD projectors.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just played Forza, damn good game, certainly best (only?) decent racing sim the 360 has atm, well worth picking up if you fancy a change from arcade racers.

Not sure if it's just 'cos its' the demo (doubtful as it's already gold) but doesn’t seem to have an anti-aliasing, not a big deal if I'm honest at 1080 resolutions but on an SD telly will really show. Audio is a bit pants it has to be said, and the course in the demo is hardly inspiring. But all seems to play well enough handling seems good.

Audio is a bit of a let-down though, doesnt feel very beefy at all, although none of the cars i've ever owned are in there for me to test against, will wait for final )

It's certainly not gonna beat GT:HD in either playability or looks department tho, GTHD looks so much better and cars handle better, prob 'cos they picked a much more interesting course to play on gt:hd as well, but still, a great game.

The crass mechanics are ace though (non-existant in GT:HD) nothing beats smashing into the back of a car and seeing it's back windows smash in

So overall, fab game, 8/10 I'd say assuming it has some decent courses, if it's just crap racetracks like this one I'll drop it to 7/10.
    Last edited by _Belial; 11th May 2007 at 06:54 PM.

http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk for all your quadcopter, actioncam + rc needs :)

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)
    psn / xbl / WiiU : rhwbanz

Thanks
    Karma Level

I really don't like racing games as a rule, and after playing this game my opinions haven't changed one bit. The menu music sounded like the tunes from Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge on the Amiga (which I did love, funnily enough), the graphics were ok, but there was nothing there to make me actually think about buying this game.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think Colin McRae Dirt will kick FM2 in the nuts, that really is looking good from what I've seen so far.
    I was really dissapointed with the FM2 demo after all that hype, so much so that I've only played it 3 times (total of 9 laps) and I love driving games, what a major let down.

Still, demo's shouldn't be based on what a final game will be like, no doubt there's many tweaks and what have you that are done before a game is put into production, so there's still a glimmer of hope, I won't hold my breath though.

I still can't justify getting the wireless steering wheel yet, I'll see how the full game turns out and what Dirt is like once that's out too.
    360 ID: Symate

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can't believe there are people on here that are obviously disappointed with how this game was hyped and failed to deliver... and then with the next breath go on to hype up another game like Dirt or GT:HD based on just screen shots and brief 99% external view videos.

All opinions of forza are welcome... but don't judge it against games that you have no clue of how they are going to turn out except for the eye candy spin you have been laced with from the developers!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MsDG View Post
    I can't believe there are people on here that are obviously disappointed with how this game was hyped and failed to deliver... and then with the next breath go on to hype up another game like Dirt or GT:HD based on just screen shots and brief 99% external view videos.

All opinions of forza are welcome... but don't judge it against games that you have no clue of how they are going to turn out except for the eye candy spin you have been laced with from the developers!
    Hype and speculation is healthy, there's no getting away from it, things will always be compared to other things whether they are available yet or not. There's plenty of in game footage of Dirt here to be able to have an opinion of how it looks.

Nobody knows how Forza 2 will turn out based on a demo either (other than the developers of course), it does give people a taster but not an overall idea of what the finished game may look and play like, it may turn out to be that the demo is 100% of what the finished game will be like, although I hope not, or it may be only 75% and wow people when they discover just how good the finished article is when it's released, however, it is still early days yet. After the slating it's got, the developers might even delay it's release yet again to address the things people aren't happy with in the demo.

What I said was just my opinion, I for one wasn't trying to get your back up.
    Last edited by Simate; 12th May 2007 at 02:28 AM.
    360 ID: Symate

Thanks
    Karma Level

im personally gonna wait for flatout-ultimate carnage (FUC) xbox live destruction derby mode , Bring it on!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is gunna sound stupid (as it is) but i had a play with my tv settings ( i usualy have it set very sharp etc), toned it down a bit and it does look pretty damn good now. The actual game is growing on me as too, if you turn off all the driving assists its alot better as well.
    [live=JungIist]JungIist[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'll comment on it, its a pile of steaming shite, thought it would be and it is, its nowhere near as good as PGR3 but I do think we need to wait until its released and see the online setup etc etc before I pass full judgement, The best car type game ever is screamer Rally on the PC had to run it thrugh a dos prompt but it was awsome on my 3dfx card.
    PS nice review MsDG very in depth for a mini review
    and i agree on the hype thing........
    Last edited by Lighty; 12th May 2007 at 12:13 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lighty View Post
    The best car type game ever is screamer Rally on the PC had to run it thrugh a dos prompt but it was awsome on my 3dfx card.
    PS nice review MsDG very in depth for a mini review
    and i agree on the hype thing........
    I rememeber that game quite well, it was kinda ground breaking at the time. If i recall correctly there was like a funfair (big wheel) etc spinning round as you raced the track. At the time it was awesome.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by chilliman View Post
    Hype and speculation is healthy, there's no getting away from it, things will always be compared to other things whether they are available yet or not. There's plenty of in game footage of Dirt here to be able to have an opinion of how it looks.

Nobody knows how Forza 2 will turn out based on a demo either (other than the developers of course), it does give people a taster but not an overall idea of what the finished game may look and play like, it may turn out to be that the demo is 100% of what the finished game will be like, although I hope not, or it may be only 75% and wow people when they discover just how good the finished article is when it's released, however, it is still early days yet. After the slating it's got, the developers might even delay it's release yet again to address the things people aren't happy with in the demo.

What I said was just my opinion, I for one wasn't trying to get your back up.
    1st off, your not getting my back up. I just dispare at the constant rating given to games that haven't been played yet.

As far as Dirt goes I must say this is the 1st time I have seen actual game footage (which I thank you for). Don't get me wrong, I will love Dirt no matter what it is like, but by looking at those videos it looks just of a bit of a step forward from the 2005 version (on a decent PC). It looks nothing like the "amazing" tech videos which other people have been wowing at and hyping. I still can't wait for Dirt, but I suspect there will be loads of dissappointed people when they play it and will then compare it to the "wow" Sega Rally tech videos.

People have to learn...
    1) The actual release is going to be nothing like the fancy videos/screen shots that are released in the months previous
    2) There is always something in developement that seems better... and will be fooling the weak minded with missleading eye candy
    3) When A demo is released it is NEVER anything except the final version bar maybe a few minor tweaks.

To back up point 3, Forza 2 is only 2-3 weeks away from release. It will be going gold soon! There will be no difference to the final release... and indeed this demo will be valid long after the game is released. So if you are hoping for changes, it ain't gonna happen.

To be honest, I dunno why people are so upset with this demo. If you are looking for a good racing game, it is clear that the physics, control setup and super smooth frame is there... all the things you need for a good racing game. The tracks are also well rendered with massive viewing distances... much better than the narrow street PGR3. I suspect people just want eye candy like those daft GT:HD videos. The only thing any serious racer will see in GT:HD is the road ahead, and when you examine those brief flashes of the windscreen views on those flashy videos you will see it isn't all that ethier!

Oh, I almost forgot. I dissagree that hype is "healthy". NO it isn't because the evidence is based on tarted up screen shots and videos that do not represent the real game.
    Last edited by MsDG; 12th May 2007 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My first impressions was that it was OK at best (very first impression was, its a load of todge).
    Having spent a abit more time to play it and tweak the settings I think it could grow on me. I didn't even bother tryin it with the wireless MS wheel in the first instance but Im certainly gonna give it a whirl now.

Just my tuppence worth.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tips View Post
    My first impressions was that it was OK at best (very first impression was, its a load of todge).
    Having spent a abit more time to play it and tweak the settings I think it could grow on me. I didn't even bother tryin it with the wireless MS wheel in the first instance but Im certainly gonna give it a whirl now.

Just my tuppence worth.
    I have been using the wheel from the moment i downloaded it and its awesome. I have never felt this engrossed in a driving game b4.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Zapiy, since my last post I been testing it with the wheel, using the bonett cam (looks gr8 on HD Projector).

I agree with you entirely, all of a sudden I am looking forward to the release.

First impressions aren't always right.