Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sky tv in spain

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Sky tv in spain

Hey

My parents have recently purchased an apartment in the malaga region of spain.

Having been there for a few days and having to put up with the standard spanish tv
    they have decided they would like some basic english tv, nothing fancy.

What would be the best way to go about this, possibly looking for something that dont
    require a subscription but has a the basic english channels , bbc etc anything else is a bonus

Thanks in advance

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Sky tv in spain

Hi mate,

You can see from the attached footprint of Astra 2D where BBC and ITV are that you need a very large dish to receive these channels in Spain.

Minimum 1.5m- 3m is the figures I have heard.

There are other ways to receive it (microwave antennae) but I dont know much about that.

Channel 4 and 5 should be available on smaller dishes tho.
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks m8, still on the lookout for some sort of solution.

a company has already put 2 large dishes outside the complex however he wants
    540 euros to connect a feed to the apartment, which to me seems a bit steep.

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You could connect the feed im sure.
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Termy

My parents have Sky in their caravan, and been told that an 80cm dish is sufficient for their needs. They are going over to Spain for Xmas for a few months so I will be getting one sorted out for them before they go.

They have been in France for a few months now and they are just on the edge of the footprint for the standard dish to work, but they are starting to move North of France now and have not had any problems with it there.

Also m7 mates brother lives out there, very close to Malaga and he says that the dishes they use are about 80cm to 1mtr and he doesnt have any problems with any channels, inc the sports and movies.

I dont think 1.5mtr dishes are really needed as they are massive, esp as you should get away with 1mtr at worst.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hes asking about BBC and ITV mate, not Sky Sports or Movies, some of which are on Astra 2A or 2B south.

Footprint below

You will not get BBC or ITV via a 1m dish in southern Spain as it on Astra 2D.

Look here the 44 figure on the outermost ring of the footprint states a 90 - 120cm dish and thats for the very North of Spain.

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/astra2d.html
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

ask around over spain m8 as it's possible to recieve sly over there as it's retransmitted over spain without the ND$ encyption but i'm sure there is still a fee to pay to the local mafia if you like who control it over there.

another possibilty would be to get a motorised system so that way you can also watch D+(19.2e,open with daily keys),Premiere (19.2ecurrently open on most recievers using mgcamd1.23) and TPS (13e,open on most recievers using mgcamd1.23) although they dont show BBC and the like they do show upto date films and live sport and most of the fims the language can be changed to english

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

As i said its via microwave!

Strictly illegal via Spanish law!

As stated aboove most of the premier sky channels movies & sports are OK its just tha BBC moved to the sat with the smallest fp!
    Karl Pilkington

Termy

Quote Originally Posted by Nibb View Post
    As i said its via microwave!

Strictly illegal via Spanish law!

As stated aboove most of the premier sky channels movies & sports are OK its just tha BBC moved to the sat with the smallest fp!
    Well sorry to dissapoint you m8, but the guy I was on about who lives in Malaga still gets BBC1 and the rest of the freeview and his subscription channels using a standard sky box/card and my old 90cm dish that he had taken over last month.

He has a multibox system over here which he pays for, and takes one of his boxes over there when he stays there.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Termy thanks for your advice

Anychance you could advise on the right kit to get reasonably cheap as possible.

Hopefully some sort of all in one kit, or individual parts if thats how it needs to be done.

Im a total satellite newbie so I aint a clue, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

I need to have something sorted by July 10th, or my ass is grass.
    Last edited by Booyakasha; 23rd June 2007 at 02:39 AM.

Termy

All I can tell you at the present time is that he has a standard Sky box/card and a 80cm dish. There are no special items that he has.

I will try and contact him tomorrow and find out to be 100% certain m8.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Termy View Post
    Well sorry to dissapoint you m8, but the guy I was on about who lives in Malaga still gets BBC1 and the rest of the freeview and his subscription channels using a standard sky box/card and my old 90cm dish that he had taken over last month.

He has a multibox system over here which he pays for, and takes one of his boxes over there when he stays there.
    If thats the case then great!

I'm not trying to be clever Termy, but I am only passing on facts as I see them from lyngsat and from other forums that I have read.

If thats the case the Booyakasha should go for it!

I would be far from disappointed!
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's quite possible that Termy's correct, the Malaga area is apparently OK on smaller dishes around the 1m mark.

The Costa Blanca (around Benidorm) is a different story. There's a real black spot there (2 if you count Benidorm itself ). 2.4m dishes are required for Astra 2D, BBC ITV etc.

Google 'Tarbena'. You'll find info on the illegal microwave systems. On average, punters pay around 30E a month for 20 channels to them. They transmit BBC1, 2, ITV1, CH4, Five and lots of the better channels from Sly including Sports, movies, prem plus etc.

Good luck m8.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My father in law lives in La Nucia.... Close to Benidorm... He has a couple of properties... 1 has a 1m dish 1 has 1.5m.... The 1m dish cannot pick up many channels, and it changes as to which throught the day... Channel 4 and ITV were OK... He uses the Sky FTA card with both.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Check if their apartment complex has community sky which a lot of them do just costs you to connect instead of fitting a dish thats what i have at my place.

If you are going to fit a dish yourself you need at least a 1.2 mtr dish Sky fitters are a proper ripoff down here so id also advise buying any equipment you can in England and bringing it over other wise your looking at summut like 500 euros

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by FireBlade View Post
    Check if their apartment complex has community sky which a lot of them do just costs you to connect instead of fitting a dish thats what i have at my place.

If you are going to fit a dish yourself you need at least a 1.2 mtr dish Sky fitters are a proper ripoff down here so id also advise buying any equipment you can in England and bringing it over other wise your looking at summut like 500 euros
    The apartment my parents own is in the Sabinillas area, its a new build and it already
    has 2 large dishes serving the complex however the company who did it want 300 euros to connect a feed or 540 including connection and a box, which to me seems very steep.

He will however install your own dish for 80 euros, which is why I am looking into buying the kit over here and then take it over to spain and if I cant do it myself at least I know this guy will set it up for 80 euros.

Just need to know what would be the right kit to take over as I have no knowledge of satellite equipment at all.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My parents have lived in Spain for 12 years, and they have had Sky for a long time.

In their first house they had a 1m dish and a normal box, but still got a load of channels. A local guy (English bloke with a Spanish partner) did it all for about 500 Euros. They received all FTA and movies, sports etc. No PPV tho, but also no contract.

When they last moved, my dad installed the same dish, and got my sister (In UK) to pay for a contract for basic channels. FTA and a few others. All works fine, and TBH I haven't a clue how my dad managed to line the dish up. He's no tech wiz by any standard.

I don't know anymore how it was done, but thats what they got.

Maybe speak to other ex-pats and find out what they have.

DJ OD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive seen sky in malaga on a 1M dish, but a word of caution, some of the complexes can be a bit funny about you putting up your own dish.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    Ive seen sky in malaga on a 1M dish, but a word of caution, some of the complexes can be a bit funny about you putting up your own dish.
    I have reasearched this and you are correct in what you say, but the way the apartment is based I highly doubt they would ever notice, its on the very top of the complex with only one other apartment beside it and the apartment itself has 2 balconys and full access to the roof etc.

I shall just purchase a dish as advised by some on here, and as for set top box I am still unsure but any recommendations appreciated.

Also where is the best place to purchase satellite related goods? I have been looking at maplin.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Dont use Maplins mate!

http://www.satonline.co.uk

http://goldwafers.co.uk

Both I have used and are very good.

For Sky boxes try

http://www.simplydigital.co.uk/

This receiver should suit your needs in Spain!

http://www.simplydigital.co.uk/acatalog/Freesat.html

Of course theres loads of cheaper suitable one on fleabay.

http://electronics.search.ebay.co.uk...6969QQsbrbinZt
    Last edited by Nibb; 26th June 2007 at 01:43 PM. Reason: additional info
    Karl Pilkington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast