Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Live Free Or Die Hard (Die Hard 4.0)

Well what can I say, the last two years seem to have been the years of the sequels, nothing much new has come out, and then all of a sudden there were announcements for a new Rocky, a new Rambo and a new Die Hard..

My first thoughts were that they were going to milk these series dry now but I tell you what, I'm well impressed!

The new Die Hard film as Bruce back in his best role as John McClane, the tough NYPD cop who's been through it all - and he's now had a promotion!

Basically the film starts off with him going to pick up a computer hacker which would be an ordinary run of the mill job for anyone but McClane, as you soon see when the shots are firing everywhere!

Good action movies seemed to die a death for a few years but it looks like they're coming back and they're as good as ever!

There's not much CGI in this film if at all, guessing the bits with the fighter plane are all CGI but the majority of it seems rough and ready, and just a bit good!

I won't go any further into the story so you lot will enjoy it, but suffice to say apart from the odd few technical bits which will make you sit there wanting to pull it to pieces you can just shut your brain off and watch some kickass action!

Well impressed over all, after seeing this and the Rocky film I'm really looking forward to the new Rambo film - it just might work

9 out of 10

Yippee Kay Yeh Mother F***ker
    Last edited by reverend; 3rd July 2007 at 12:38 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Live Free Or Die Hard (Die Hard 4.0)

I agree, was a good addition to the Die Hard series if you ask me.

Definately not my least favourite Die Hard film but probably not the best either.

Its action, action, action. Probably better to go with a bunch of your mates, then with the missus, you'll enjoy it a lot more I reckon!

And the dude that played the bad guy, dont know his real name but he was awesome I thought.

Great film and well worth the watch!!

8/10!
    CONTACT

My liver is evil and must be punished!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Excellent movie!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

this comes number 2 in my fav die hard list after the first one its great Mcclain is at his sarky best and some of the lines are great

To the fbi agent "whats your name"
    fbi guy "agent Johnson"
    Mcclain "agent Johnson oh great!"

go see this now!

why you still sat there!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Great movie, doesnt take itself too seriously - and stays with what die hard is all about. Bruce still pulls it off at his age! go watch it in the cinema - some of the action scenes are great (the one near the end is a bit OTT, but hey, i loved it!)
    If I'm not back in five minutes... wait longer!

Thanks
    Karma Level

A good film by its own standards. However, I have rated it lower due to the standard set by the other 3.

I thought it was entertaining throughout, but a bit on the long side.

One thing that did annoy me was the continious use of the word 'jerkoff'.
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    The Digital Forums / Ebay Affiliate Link

Thanks
    Karma Level

Enjoyed this but thought the plane sequence was a little OTT.

Some good lines and great ideas though and a jolly one to watch with the Mrs.

Thanks
    Karma Level

got to say this movie is a 9 all day long, I never expected it to be as good as it was but bruce was back doing what he is good at action and plenty of it. Timothy Oliphant was exellent as the bad guy but hes been pretty good ever since i first noticed him and he uttered the immmortal line of "this guys the fucking tits" in the girl next door. Just thinking back there has never been a bad die hard and this movie contiunes that trend.
    Last edited by freakzilla; 11th July 2007 at 10:02 PM. Reason: forgot to post rating

Thanks
    Karma Level

went to see this last night

First concerns with this was Bruces age, thought maybe hes past it now but no i fell he played the roll as good as ever.

have to say i fell this is one of the best films i have seen in ages ( slightly bias seeing as Guns, computers and explosions are 3 of my favourite things)

a few of my fav parts
    Spoiler:

1. Warlocks Basement ( comand center) was excellent got me thinking i need a few more screens.

2. were john takes out a helicopter with a car then states " i was out of bullets"

3. when john dodges the f15 fighter jet in the semi-truck.

i would say this is easily on par with the previous 3 if not better a must see for anybody who enjoyed the old films.

Thanks
    Karma Level

One of the best movies of the summer.

A great addition to the Die Hard franchise.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I saw this about a week ago. Not a lot to say really...good film, tons of action and Brucie back as usual being a cool cop.

I didnt rate this the best Die Hard as it didnt "grip" me, however it was good, but not ace!

In order, my fave Die Hards, based on my own ersonal enjoyment, are:
    Die Hard 3 (the gold heist - Sam L Jackson made this film, along with Jeremy Irons.)
    Die Hard (Awesome...Alan Rickman rocks...)
    Die Hard 4 (More of the same, but entertaining. Good bad guy.)
    Die Hard 2 (Pants compared to the others, but still watchable. Let down by William Sadler)
    Recent Mac convert...

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah i definately still prefer number 3 followed by 1,4,2.

this one didnt have a hope against samuel l jackson and jeremy irons tbh lol

jackson made that film
    Zeus: Why do you keep calling me 'Jesus'? Do I look Puerto Rican to you?
    John McClane: Guy back there called you 'Jesus'.
    Zeus: He didn't say 'Jesus'. He said, "Hey, Zeus!" My name is Zeus.
    John McClane: Zeus?
    Zeus: Yeah, Zeus. As in father of Apollo? Mt. Olympus? Don't f**k with me or I'll shove a lightning bolt up your ass? Zeus! You got a problem with that?
    however, this was very enjoyable all the same.. quite liked the firesale concept.. only part that let it down for me was the over the top scene with the truck and the fighter jet..

8.5/10

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by marcode View Post
    yeah i definately still prefer number 3 followed by 1,4,2.

8.5/10
    Copy cat
    Recent Mac convert...

Thanks
    Karma Level

as film it was great, but noithing like Die Hards 1 & 2.

It could have easily been just another film (like 3), the only connection with the Die Hard series was that it was well over the top and McClain was the hero.

Great film.

8.5/10

Thanks
    Karma Level

It was a good action film like all the rest of the Die hard films. However I've got to say that even if a film is a really good action film I still find it impossible to ignore the totally unbelievable story line. There was sooo much in this film that was utter crud, technically and physically. The original Die Hard was actually wrapped around quite a clever robber story with bits of OTT action thrown in. This latest film is full of... "Yeah right" Moments.

Spoiler:
    For a start, all the computer stuff seems to dependent on the viewer knowing nothing about computers. I could talk for hours about the many things that were total rubbish, Like being able to make traffic lights all Green, being able to switch off all the power grid with a computer and even the concept that if someone did have major hacked control of an important computer they wouldn't just turn the bloody thing off!

Yes, I don't mind them taking liberties with the action in films like this but crikey they really stretched things. Taking out the helicopter with the car was good... but one minute the roads were gridlocked, the next he had enough room to weave in and out of the tunnel traffic at light speed. The whole Truck v F35B (not F15 as mentioned above) was the ultimate in total unbelievable crud. Those F35's can take out knats eye from 5 miles and yet it was close if enough to be jumped upon! The sudden appearance ultimate spaghetti junction freeway (that was totally empty of traffic), the truck driving on one side and then up an 1:1 slope... it was all utter crud. To top it all off, when finished with the F35... the Baddies destination was just 30 seconds walk from the freeway!

Oh, i almost forgot about that great moment where they sent "lots of gas" down a pipeline to cause a mass exposition... FFS!

As I said, I quite like a bit of mindless action but there is a limit to amount of liberties they can take before it becomes total drivel. I would have rated it higher if it was based technically, physically somewhere close to planet earth but as it is, I'll give it a 5

Thanks
    Karma Level

I liked it. I'd put it third in order of preference with the other DH films. No.1 obviously being the best followed by the second, then the new one and finall
    y the third which I thought was lacking a final act.

The action was mindless and frenetic, Willis is brilliant as McClane, the plot was garbage but it ripped along and there was good support from Justin Long, Timothy Olyphant and Maggie Q who is fucking stunningly fit.

It's got fuck all on the original but very few films have.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive just watched the Adywan R5 of this and i thought it was ok, but christ what the hell are you lot watching to give this a 9?

The plot was utter rubbish, no other way to describe it. The producers have watched alot of 24 by the looks of it.
    The whole hackers taking over the world, bringing down the mainframe, infiltrating the matrix stuff is cringeworthy, maybe 10 years ago but not in 2007.
    The action was good ill admit, but it never really felt tense like in some of the older die hard films and in similar films of the same genre, everything has been done a million times before and a million times better and the whole daughter thing, jeez that was so forced, at no point did it seem like John really gave a shit about his daughter. This type of thing has also been done in 24, but far better.

Willis holds it together for me, the other actors were all of reasonable standards but without him it would have been a total disaster.

Overall i was going to give it a 5.0, but 4.0 fits in the with title

Thanks
    Karma Level

4.0? 4.0 indeed, I agree with 909.

I have just sat through this and the only good thing about it was Bruce Willis, and thats saying something.

I thought the whole plot and film apart from around ten minutes of it was a load of balls.

Some of the action scenes were "quite" good but they didn`t seem to have much impact due to the score, which is where the other Die Hards have always been at their best for me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Great stuff! Went back to basic's and brought McClane back to his old ways looking to kick ass!

Great special effects and plenty of action... fast and furious!!!

Would have give it higher marks if there was more swearing!
    - Plan for Tomorrow - Live for today - Hail to the King Baby -