Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Weight Loss, Help

i've been told by my doctor i need to lose a lot of weight, we are talking 5 stone!!

i've always been a large person, and i do agree i need to loss some weight but i was thinking 3 stone to take me down to around 16 stone

i'm very nearly 21 years old, 6 feet 3/4 inches tall, and fairly well built!!

any ideas of how i can loss weight as quick as possible?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Weight Loss, Help

As anyone will tell you on here mate, loosing weight quickly isn't the way to go about it.

The key to loosing weight and keeping it off it to it in a slow, controlled manner.

No easy options - hard work is the answer.

Low intensity cardio workout is said to be best for burning fat, and try to get hold of some weights and geta routine going.

Also look into your diet - what are your eating habits?

A lot of members know a hell of a lot more than I do, but these are pretty much the fundamentals for you're weight loss campaign.

Good luck

Thanks
    Karma Level

i was told this 2 weeks ago today, and have been going to the gym everyday since!!

i've stopped eating chocolate, alcohole, and soft drinks like coke!!
    as far as diet goes i have a bowl of cereal in the morning, a couple pieces of fruit in the afternoon, and a main meal around 5, then hit the gym about 7ish for an hour and a bit!!

i also go swimming over the weekend!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning House View Post
    i was told this 2 weeks ago today, and have been going to the gym everyday since!!

i've stopped eating chocolate, alcohole, and soft drinks like coke!!
    as far as diet goes i have a bowl of cereal in the morning, a couple pieces of fruit in the afternoon, and a main meal around 5, then hit the gym about 7ish for an hour and a bit!!

i also go swimming over the weekend!!
    You will soon get rid off it doing that anyway mate.

We Only Need Nine men, we only need nine men.

Thanks
    Karma Level

but the guy says he wants a marked improvement by the time i go and see him next and thats in 4 weeks!!

wot a marked improvement is, i have no idea!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good luck m8.

that's a healthier and better lifestyle than mine. Stick with it.

MML
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just keep up the exercise as this burns up your stored fat, swimming is probably the best exercise as it uses most parts of your body, and dont go looking for them miracle cures as theese are scams trust me my wifey is trying to loose weight and she has tried a few to no avail

Thanks
    Karma Level

but the guy says he wants a marked improvement by the time i go and see him next and thats in 4 weeks!!

wot a marked improvement is, i have no idea!!
    You can only lose a certain amount and judging from your above posts you've definitely started to sort out your diet and exercise so I wouldn't worry about it- a doctor will be able to tell if you've made changes and you can't do much more. Have you begun to lose weight now? If so, how much? Crash diets and fads will not work, most of the time any weight lost with them is put back on. By the way, when you say you're going to the gym, what are you doing there?
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

Get a dog, great for exercise, I lost nearly half a stone in the first few weeks just by dealing with him

Low cardio work is best, cut out nice foods and if possible try no alcohol for a bit.

I generally eat the following which is keeping my weight on a stable decrease with about a 4-5 hours gym a week (I'm not doing weights, just running, cross, cycle and rowing for varying times, but making sure I'm doing more than 40 mins, recently I've been doing 20 min run, 10 min cross, 10 cycle, 10 row):

around 7am either 2 pieces of toast or wheatabix (actually tesco wheat biscuits)
    around 11.00-11.30 2 sandwiches wholemeal bread or 50/50 type stuff, usually salad and ham or just a salad with some cheese and ham
    1-2ish - go to the gym for an hour mon/tues thurs/fri/sun
    3 - eat a grape (a good handful) and natural low fat yoghurt, blitzed with the hand blender
    6ish eat a normal meal, nothing special.

the key is doing more prolonged low intensity exercise than you'd usually do and doing it on a regular basis, I do allow myself to eat some nice foods like takeaways but not as often as I used to do. If I get bored of the gym, I'll go for a swim instead.
    Download my latest breaks and electro mixes or listen to Sellout Breaks FM

Thanks
    Karma Level

As said above, low intensity CV is the key for losing weight - you will lose more fat power-walking that you will running. It's all about how your body uses fat as fuel - if you raise your pulse too high then you use anaerobix respriation and so on... Look to be keeping your pulse/heartrate around 130.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If your doctor insists that you need to lose weight, ask him to put you on a course of Reductil. I take these on account of my ass being larger than the average bear, and I wanted to lose weight also.

He will require you to get your blood pressure checked on a 4-week basis as raised BP is one side effect of the tablets, but basically, they stop you wanting to eat as often as you normally would. I take one 15mg tablet each morning and over the past 8 weeks I have lost roughly 20lbs in weight.

I usually have a bowl of cereal in the morning, a sandwich and yogurt for lunch then i don't feel hungry usually til about 8pm and I only need something small then.

Also, don't eat anything within an hour or so of going to bed because you won't burn it off and it'll go straight to your hips!

PS. My 800th post! woo woo!
    Last edited by russbeer; 4th July 2007 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Woo! 800th post!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by maverick_15 View Post
    You can only lose a certain amount and judging from your above posts you've definitely started to sort out your diet and exercise so I wouldn't worry about it- a doctor will be able to tell if you've made changes and you can't do much more. Have you begun to lose weight now? If so, how much? Crash diets and fads will not work, most of the time any weight lost with them is put back on. By the way, when you say you're going to the gym, what are you doing there?
    i've lost about 4 kilos/8.8 pound so far and thats been 2 weeks!!

at the gym i'm doing around 40 mins on a cross trainer (around 6 miles), some sit ups on a low weight as to tone up my midrift then around 2000 meters on a rowing machine

Thanks
    Karma Level

i've lost about 4 kilos/8.8 pound so far and thats been 2 weeks!!

at the gym i'm doing around 40 mins on a cross trainer (around 6 miles), some sit ups on a low weight as to tone up my midrift then around 2000 meters on a rowing machine
    That's good going, there is a limit to the amount you can lose. To be honest, whilever you have fat on you there won't be tone to your stomach so I wouldn't necessarily bother with the sit-ups for that reason- if you want it for core strength though carry on. The amount of CV you're doing is a reasonable amount, particularly as I get the impression that you may be going into this from either a very low level of activity or even nothing. Keep at it and you'll get the results.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

to be honest i've gone from sitting around, surfing the net and playing medievil 2, drinking down the pub and eating a load of shit,
    to not drinking at all, and just eating what i said ferther back in this thread!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

if you can try and go for a jog/run in the morning before you eat anything, it promotes optimal fat loss.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would say keep up the sit ups mate. One of my friends used to be 22 stone [only 5 foot 9 too] and in two years he has gone down to 13 stone and is now looking stacked.

He started off like you getting his cardio going nicely and gently, then started incorporating light weight sessions into the mix. He has now moved onto larger weights but still limits his calorie intake to make sure the kg's don't pile on again.

One thing he said really helped was actually doing the situps. He thinks the high intensity reps [ie not doing any situps with weights] helped pull in and shrink his stomach, which obviously helps with making you feel full and eating less.

He also eats a good lunch and a lighter dinner as he finds he needs the energy during the day and not at night. Good luck mate and keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oh and its always interesting to keep a photo diary of how things are going. Taking a photo once a week can really motivate you!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh View Post
    I would say keep up the sit ups mate. One of my friends used to be 22 stone [only 5 foot 9 too] and in two years he has gone down to 13 stone and is now looking stacked.

He started off like you getting his cardio going nicely and gently, then started incorporating light weight sessions into the mix. He has now moved onto larger weights but still limits his calorie intake to make sure the kg's don't pile on again.

One thing he said really helped was actually doing the situps. He thinks the high intensity reps [ie not doing any situps with weights] helped pull in and shrink his stomach, which obviously helps with making you feel full and eating less.

He also eats a good lunch and a lighter dinner as he finds he needs the energy during the day and not at night. Good luck mate and keep up the good work.
    i've got to loss the weight for an ENG1 medical examine, so i can't afford to put any extra on!!

i still don't the doc to be happy unless i'm down at 14 stone, i can't see it happening myself 16 stone and i'll be happy, after all i used to play tight head prop for bristol as a youngter so i'm never going to be a streak of piss!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

whats a ENG1 examination for? Do you need to have a good weight to height ratio or something?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by russbeer View Post
    whats a ENG1 examination for? Do you need to have a good weight to height ratio or something?
    no but i do have to have a BMI under 30 according to the doctor!!?
    it's for my job i work on ships, the guidelines are set by the MCA (Marine Coastguard Agency)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast