Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Wimbledon: do they refer to playback for clarification?

Just switched on tv and wimbledon is on, miss Williams lobs a ball and someone shouts something like 'fault/out' (I don't follow tennis) anyway, they milled around for a few seconds, then the TV showed a computer simulation which showed the ball actually just in and a cheer.

I presume this is using technology to avoid Macenroe style disputes?
    Why can't they implement in football, we can see footy replays in seconds so why not the rest of the stadium? Mind you, I'm not sure if that would make much different to the hooligan element though lol.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Wimbledon: do they refer to playback for clarification?

Each player has (I think) 3 challenges per set, so they can dispute a point, but not repeatedly. If they are proven correct with their challenge they remain at 3 challenges, not sure if there's a pen for 3 wrong challenges.

I think its a good system, would be interesting to see managers given 3 challenges per half, I wonder how much Wenger would see then!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yep that's right. 3 challenges per set (1 extra for the tiebreak), challenges decrease by 1 each time a player wrongly asks 'Hawkeye' to be checked. No penalty after 3 incorrect challenges.

It's a good system, even though some replays make it look liek the ball was entirely out but a fraction is in so it's called good (if any part of the ball touches the line it's in).

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by burner1 View Post
    I presume this is using technology to avoid Macenroe style disputes?
    Why can't they implement in football, we can see footy replays in seconds so why not the rest of the stadium?
    To be honest, the FA probably could if they wanted it as the technology is already there. Rugby League have the 'video referee' and when the game is televised his replays are shown on the Sky big screen. It has caused some controvesy, some people think is slows the game down too much as some refs can over use it, some think it's a great idea and can really help out with close calls. I fall into the latter group.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just curious on this one...
    If say player 1 serves a dubious shot which is called in and player 2 returns the ball and wins the point. Can player 1 then challenge there own serve to be out, which if proved correct would mean it would be 1st serve and not lose the point?

And, if player 1 hits a close ball which is called out and the player 2 deliberately leaves it as it was called out, then player 1 challenges the shot which is proved to be in and gets the point. Is that not unfair on player 2 who deliberatly left the shot due to a error of the official?
    Last edited by Soulassassin; 5th July 2007 at 01:07 PM.
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

Thanks
    Karma Level

there is pretty much two disputes to the idea of brining technology in to try and help referees in football;
    - "football doesn't need this techno bollocks IT'S A MANS GAME KEEP IT SIMPLE!"
    - "it will slow the game down!!!11"

even though pretty much every other sport now uses video replays, and they solve the issue immediately instead of 10 footy players running round the pitch chasing a referee to try and reverse his decision which lasts for like a minute, and then there is the fact most referees in the big footy games now have mic headsets on anyway, so it wouldn't actually be very hard to properly implement it.

the good ol' "we are afraid of change" stance
    [CENTER][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Real pirates don't [I]STEAL[/I], they [/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]SHARE[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/B][SIZE=1]Unless they are cunts, then they just leech...:happy:[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fusen View Post
    there is pretty much two disputes to the idea of brining technology in to try and help referees in football;
    - "football doesn't need this techno bollocks IT'S A MANS GAME KEEP IT SIMPLE!"
    - "it will slow the game down!!!11"

even though pretty much every other sport now uses video replays, and they solve the issue immediately instead of 10 footy players running round the pitch chasing a referee to try and reverse his decision which lasts for like a minute, and then there is the fact most referees in the big footy games now have mic headsets on anyway, so it wouldn't actually be very hard to properly implement it.

the good ol' "we are afraid of change" stance

Why don't they test it out on Sheffield Utd in the Championship for a season.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by soulassassin View Post
    Just curious on this one...
    If say player 1 serves a dubious shot which is called in and player 2 returns the ball and wins the point. Can player 1 then challenge there own serve to be out, which if proved correct would mean it would be 1st serve and not lose the point?

And, if player 1 hits a close ball which is called out and the player 2 deliberately leaves it as it was called out, then player 1 challenges the shot which is proved to be in and gets the point. Is that not unfair on player 2 who deliberatly left the shot due to a error of the official?
    1. I'm assuming that Hawkeye can only be used to argue against the case of shots/serves that have been classed as "Fault/Out" and not against any shots, whether in or out, as this may be classed as possible "unsportsmanlike behaviour"

2. Only thing I can think of on this one, although most probably wrong, it the shot might be replayed??