Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Stupid n00b setup questions...

OK. I'm a complete dish virgin. I've always had cable. Moving to countryside where cable isn't laid.

The cottage I'm going to has a Sly dish fixed to the rear. I would like to receive Sly (UK) channels to two different rooms.

Part of me is intrigued by the whole 'darkside'. Part of me wants a reliable feed without having to 'do stuff' every other week.

I have no idea what 'stuff' I would have to 'do', how often or how it works. I do know that I will need a box to translate the magic air waves (right?).

1. Where's best to buy a box and how much?
    2. Can I use the existing Sly dish?
    3. How often do I need to mess about with it after the initial set-up?
    4. Best to save the hassle and get it legit?

Many thanks Those that can offer advice will receive a free face fuck from myself to be redeemed before 2010 (actual value 0.00001p).

Oh. I read the rules so I don't think I have broken any with this post. If posting a reply breaks a rule then please be sure to pm me rather than post (but I don't think it will - rules - http://www.digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=222242)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: n00b setup questions...

Ok my opinions. If you dont want to muck about all the time don't get into the darkside. If you do and don't mind spending time and money on yer hobby then do. The costs (time) and the rewards (crap tv) can be low. i had over 1000 channels at one time and still spent all Sat nite looking for something I wanted to watch. A lot of the darkside has gone over to "sharing" c@rds which we dont talk about here and is not really a hobby in my opinion.

1. i like PC based receivers and am about to get a USB technotrend 3600 (EUR 130). If you want a Rolls Royce get something like a Dream box (upto 500 squid). The dreambox is LINUX so lots to play with.
    2. Bin the $ky dish and get an 80cm or bigger depending what u want and where you are.
    3. All the time or maybe once a month.
    4. I wouldn't give mrdch the price of a cup of tea (ripoff). You might still be able to get "grey" subscriptions for some foreign stuff, but i don't know anymore. Try the sat dealers. Have a look around some of the popular sat sites also.

In the end it's tv. I only ever watch tv when I'm eating (and thats freeview). Too busy elsewhere. If its films u r after see that oriental man that comes in the pub on saturday afternoons.
    Hope this helps a bit.

Regards Scruff,

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hmmm a bit fiddly huh. Well if I got to keep pissing about and have the Mrs on my case when she can't watch her progs then legit would be best.

Thanks for the reply. K+ given and a face fuck voucher in the post

Termy

If you go down the legit route you would only possibly need to buy 2 receivers/cards and a dual LNB for the dish thats already there. This will then give you all the freeview stuff and no monthly subs.

Alternatively if you want the pay channels then you may as well take the dish down and get a Sky engineer to fit a new one as part of the new contract.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Great offer from Sky http://www.hotukdeals.com/deal/37528...kage-75-3-95-p

Am like scruff go down the linux base sat reciever and enjoy the nite searching for free tv :-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks chaps

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If you want to go totally legit there is a deal for a brand new Sky+ box with a multiroom box with a minimum £15 monthly sub + £10/month for multiroom for a one of £99 (installation included).

You also get £10 off if you sign up online.

This would allow the convenience of Sky+ in your living room and a mirror sub in another room.

Im am no way affiliated with Sly I just wanted to give you the best ppv starting legit option!

EDIT: my missus is checking her diary for the FF!
    Last edited by Nibb; 12th July 2007 at 09:46 PM.
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Stop the press's theres an £85 cashback via quidco on the above offer as well!!

http://www.quidco.com/sky-digital/

New subs only.
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

get yaself a 1mtr motorised setup maybe with like of dragon cam so u can use ya sky card too then if ya get pissed off scanning or patching for free channels you can leave it on 28e but will always have it there and the option to have fun ie like wen footy season starts and u find the free 3am feeds plus there is shitloads of stuff open at the moment for very little work. and her indoors can be easily trained to use the motorised option.