Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Ariel Installation Help required

In my House we have a ariel on the roof which is then passed through to the attic. When i went in the attic the other day, the previous owner had taken all the ariels in the house (4 of them) and wrapped them all round the main ariel with black tape. This worked fine for 2 tvs in the house (In the kitchen and bedroom)
    So i went to Maplin, told my problem and i bought -

for the ariel wires
    this would be for the ariel connecter to go into which would then be connected to the splitter (its a ariel to coax plug but maplin shows the same pic as the ariel connecter)

Not the same splitter as i have but close enough.

Now the kitchen TV still works fine (picks up on digital now..it didnt before) But the other tvs (including the one in my bedrooom) are JUST about picking up channels 1-5 with lots of interferance. I have been told i need to buy a booster but i have no plug sockets in the attic. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Last edited by Sanj[UK]; 19th July 2007 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Ariel Installation Help required

Get a better ariel mate! I got the same problem, I have 4 TV's in the house and got a freeview box at the weekend and there is not a good enough signal to get all the channels.

I spoke to my neighbour who had a new ariel fitted a month back, he can run 7 free view boxes with no booster. Ariel cost £160 incl the fitting.

I was gonna use a booster but nowhere to plug in! I'm hoping I can find a cheaper ariel.

Beginning to wish I kept my cable TV now!

Thanks
    Karma Level

you had cable and got freeview? you tit cough dbox 2 cough!

Our ariel on the roof is HUGE its actually a couple of ariels mounted together.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well - I think when people say use a booster - put it by your television. So you wont need it in your attic. Secondly, do you just have one Aerial which then goes into a splitter which then distributes the signal to four areas of the house? If the co-ax cable you are using is old then this may mean you need to replace the cables.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Unconected View Post
    Well - I think when people say use a booster - put it by your television. So you wont need it in your attic. Secondly, do you just have one Aerial which then goes into a splitter which then distributes the signal to four areas of the house? If the co-ax cable you are using is old then this may mean you need to replace the cables.
    Yeah its only one ariel going into the splitter..about the booster thing, that would mean id need a booster next to every tv in my house? that seems a bit extreme

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah - boosters are good but I wouldnt advise to put them in the loft (especially if you have loft insulation - they give out some heat!) - an equivalent to a booster in the loft is just a better aerial. The trouble is with splitters is that they usually are passive and therefore attenuate the signal somewhat. There is no real way of getting round it. If you are in a weak area you may find that a 4 way splitter is just asking to much of the signal from the aerial.

Thanks
    Karma Level

il buy one booster and see if it makes any differance..thanks for the help. If anyone has any more ideas then please post

Thanks
    Karma Level

bit of a highjack here, but we have an oldish aerial and digital reception isnt very good, it doesnt bother me too much as tv is shite, but its obviously something i have to address soonish as in 2010 the current aerial will be more use to the birds than us.

What sort of aerial can you fit in your loft and is it expensive, is it better to go onto the roof etc?

I rang a few fitters last year and the cheapest i could find to install a digital aerial was "about £70 mate", if its just a matter of fitting one in the loft i can do it myself.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    you had cable and got freeview? you tit cough dbox 2 cough!
    Yeah I only got the package for the Internet really but had to get the TV for the deal. I fucked the phone line & TV off after my year was up.

My plan was to get SKY for my TV but decided I don't really watch it enough to warrant the subscription. The TV was OK byt the menu system was shite and laggy as fuck, changing a channel was painful.

I keep reading about the DBOX here, but I don't have a clue about that kind of thing really.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRookie View Post
    Yeah I only got the package for the Internet really but had to get the TV for the deal. I fucked the phone line & TV off after my year was up.

My plan was to get SKY for my TV but decided I don't really watch it enough to warrant the subscription. The TV was OK byt the menu system was shite and laggy as fuck, changing a channel was painful.

I keep reading about the DBOX here, but I don't have a clue about that kind of thing really.
    msg me on msn/irc..there is stil tv at the end of the coax cable .

Should i buy any booster from maplins? or am i looking for a particular type?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Should i buy any booster from maplins? or am i looking for a particular type?
    You can get a cheap one from comet for £14.99. Has +10 gain (if thats any good I dunno!)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah its only one ariel going into the splitter..about the booster thing, that would mean id need a booster next to every tv in my house? that seems a bit extreme
    Hi as a TV engineer you look like you need a aerial amplifier with up 4 to 6 out puts which you can buy at Maplins or other high street shops that sell electrical hardware Just plug the aerial straight into the input and then run separate cables from each output to the TVs if possible use the original cable and if you fit co-ax plugs make sure the cable grip is the correct way round as supplied?

Thanks
    Karma Level

UPDATE

I borrowed a booster from a freind..it made no differance in the living room but when it was connected to the kitchen ariel and then fed through to the living then it would pick up a signal..which meant to me that its possible theres another split int he feed somewhere?

I wake up today and my mother has called ariel Installer in. He did 4 rooms with a brand new ariel for £130..all tvs pick up analogue and freeview..result

On the old ariel he said i could have done whatever setup but it wouldnt have mattered because the old ariel was a FM Ariel so it was designed for radio only, he said it surprising that we picked anything up!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

For anyone else have heard Televes ariels are very good and come out with one of the best ratings for ariels.

I am also looking to upgrade my multi tv ariel connection for freeview through out the house as i will not pay sky and dont have cable.

Did find this guy an ebay who has been very helpfull in answering my questions
    so will be going with him and getting a friend to fit.
    Check him out put prices were good and its the brandf of ariel that gets rated by freeview people and uk installers so if his prices are good then who cares !!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TELEVES-DAT-75...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've got the Televes DAT45 aerial with mrd - check out here :-
    Code:
    http://www.tracsat.co.uk/catalog/freeview-aerials-televes-freeview-aerials-c-61_62.html

DAT45 - £35-45 - with MRD - £39-95 - with MRD & Power supply - £51-45
    DAT75 - £49-95

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I've got the Televes DAT45 aerial with mrd - check out here :-
    Code:
    http://www.tracsat.co.uk/catalog/freeview-aerials-televes-freeview-aerials-c-61_62.html

DAT45 - £35-45 - with MRD - £39-95 - with MRD & Power supply - £51-45
    DAT75 - £49-95
    Some nice prices as well Russ pretty similar and at least with ebay one you have paypal
    protection or some paypal credit to use

Have you got it running more than one tv through a splitter ??

Thanks
    Karma Level

The power supply - Televes 8203 has two outputs on it & I've got both of them going to my Topfield TF5800PVR.
    I've got the aerial pointing at Winterhill & I'm in a very poor area for it, but I get a good picture all the time - except a bit of blitzing when a moped buzzes up the road. I did have the Blake JBX08WB Aerial a few years ago, but picture was not too good, it was that poor I usually watched the HTV / Welsh programmes from the Llandonna transmitter. Still got that as a back up now, but got the Blake on the Llandonna transmitter & the Televes on Winter HIll, which is the one I use most of the time now.
    Don't forget to get decent cable aswell - they do a 30 metre roll which should do two drops on a average size house for you.

I bought my gear from them & a few friends have also used them without any problems.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi you will have to supply a spar from a mains socket to the loft so you can then supply mains to the aerial amp also you want to use a one in and four out aerial amplifier

Thanks
    Karma Level

decent coax is very important as russ has highlighted and with digital i would suggest double screened (copper foil and copper braid is the best) the splitter that sanj has shown is fine for dtt, satellite and cable but it uses f connectors which i prefer as they wont fall off