Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sympathy Diet

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Sympathy Diet

Alright guys, the wife decided over the weekend that she wants to lose some weight - I, rather foolishly, have agreed to diet with her for some moral support.

She settled on something called "The Lemonade Diet" and, so far, 1/2 a day into it, I'm bored to death already

Breakfast was great, but this lemonade tastes like shit. I'll list our menu and the lemonade recipe for you to laugh at!

I am interested if anyone can shed some light on the ingrediants in the lemonade... Cloves ffs?!

Anyway, day 1 (today)

For breakfast (which was awesome, I must say)

2 poached eggs
    2 grilled tomatoes.

For lunch (I'm sufering this now, I thought you could share my pain!)

Crudetes - including Red peppers, celery, carrots, cucumber. Also, a rather nice red onion rhaita to dip it in. If it weren't for this I think I'd be in the chippy by now.

Dinner -

We have planned a piece of steamed white fish (probably haddock) with roasted root vegetables (note, no oil etc...) Quite looking forward to this one.

I only know breakfast for the enxt 2 days - can't rememebr what we're doing for lunch/dinner.

Breakfast day 2 & 3

Half an apple, spread with peanut butter (YUM!)
    Fruit salad, made up of Apple, Pear and banana, with some natural yoghurt.

The worst part... The lemonade. We're supposed to drink a litre of this stuff a day - yuk. Here's the ingrediants

1 Litre of Soda water
    Juice of 1 lemon
    The flesh of half a lemon
    A pinch of freshly ground cloves.

Put it all in a blender abd blitz. I've nearly done my bottle for the day thank god!

These veggies are pissing me off. It's only meant to be for three days... Nearly there.

Comments on why the cloves are in there greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Sympathy Diet

Diets like that are a waste of time. As are most fad diets. Effective weight loss can only really be acheived in the long term by lifestyle change of which exercise should be a key component. These fad diets really are for cunts, sorry to be so blunt but I'm sick of people assuming there's some magical formula to weight loss. There isn't. It's a simple equation:

calories in - calories burned = N

If N is a minus number then you'll lose weight, if it's a plus number you'll gain weight.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    Diets like that are a waste of time. As are most fad diets. Effective weight loss can only really be acheived in the long term by lifestyle change of which exercise should be a key component. These fad diets really are for cunts, sorry to be so blunt but I'm sick of people assuming there's some magical formula to weight loss. There isn't. It's a simple equation:

If N is a minus number then you'll lose weight, if it's a plus number you'll gain weight.
    Lol, no, I appreciate that, I told her the Lemonade was just an excuse, a "gimmick" if you will, to get people to try it, but hey, it seems to be doing that

I think that eating the meals this diet has set out will be beneficial anyway, we're not the best when it comes to eating healthy and varied meals, so this'll be good for our bodies, but what baffled me was the addition of cloves in the lemonade... Yuk.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Married at 22

Anyways back to the question, just excersise a lot more and cut out shit like choc, beer and crisps.....I tried it for 2 weeks along with more cardio and lost nearlly half a stone ( shows how much shite passes my lips)
    IMac, MacBook Pro, Ipad 2, Iphone 4, Iphone 3GS....Oh and a PC or 2 knocking about

Opti

The Paul McKenna thing was interesting the other night, just a load of sensible advice really.

We started a diet last week nothing faddy, just eating less fat but trying to stay filled up on lean meat/veg/rice etc. I was bored as fuck but then again i'm bored as fuck with being a fat cunt.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wtaylor View Post
    Married at 22
    Whats worse... It's our 1 year anniversary in 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by wtaylor View Post
    Anyways back to the question, just excersise a lot more and cut out shit like choc, beer and crisps.....I tried it for 2 weeks along with more cardio and lost nearlly half a stone ( shows how much shite passes my lips)
    It's always going to be her downfall, she's at home with the little one so the temptations there - whereas I'm at work and haven't got access to that shit unless I go out and buy it - and I can't be arsed to do that to be honest with you!

What sort of cardio were you doing? We have an excercise bike at home, and I'm currently looking into getting some weights - if anyone has any they're getting rid of, let me know a price

Oooh, she's just text me - she's gave in, lol! Slacker

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by gantybop View Post
    I think that eating the meals this diet has set out will be beneficial anyway, we're not the best when it comes to eating healthy and varied meals, so this'll be good for our bodies, but what baffled me was the addition of cloves in the lemonade... Yuk.
    It will have no discernable effect on your health unless the change in diet is maintined over a long period. Doing this diet for 3 days is more than likely to do you more harm than good as your body will wonder what the fuck is going on if you your calorie intake yo-yo's.

When our calorie intake drops significantly the body assumes we are entering a phase of starvation and actually stores more body fat to keep you going through this period. This is a part of the evolutionary process that kept early man alive during harsh winters and in times of famine.

So diets like this could in fact increase your total body fat, any weight loss will probaby be just liquid, due to a lowering of your salt intake and maybe a little muscle wastage.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Looks like I'll be at it for more than 3 days then...

Thanks a fucking lot

Thanks
    Karma Level

try putting on a pair of trainers and going for a run, try 2-3 times a week as far as you until its very hard to continue then you have ur target to beat. Also time it and try each week to knock a good min or so off......Believe me you will feel a lot better if u keep it up and away from snacks
    IMac, MacBook Pro, Ipad 2, Iphone 4, Iphone 3GS....Oh and a PC or 2 knocking about

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The only time I've heard of the Lemonade diet is on junk faxes that come through at work.

Long term lifestyle change/planning is the key to sustained and healthy weight loss but overweight people need something to make them believe losing weight/fat reduction can be easy. You only have to look at all the fad diets and bullshit exercise machines that promise fast and easy results to see that this is what obese and unfit people want as a solution. I used to think this was because purely because they are lazy fat cunts with zero will power or self-discipline but my take on this has recently changed.

If you are a few pounds or even a stone overweight, burning it off isn't really a daunting prospect. However if you are say four stone or greater overweight, the journey to losing that weight must seem like a mountain to climb. This in itself must be very demotivating and depressing. This then becomes a downward spiral as you have to eat and if you aren't burning off more calories than you are consuming you put on more weight. I guess the key here is to catch obesity before it gets out of hand.
    Last edited by Roach-Rampino; 30th July 2007 at 02:35 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tell your mrs that you're fully behind her dieting but not on some stupid fad diet that won't help either of you in the long run. By the way, you say she's at home with the littlun so th's temptations there, do you mean you're buying junk food for your child? At such a young age that isn't good mate, you really shouldn't be doing so. If you didn't buy it your mrs wouldn't eat it either...winners all round- your kid doesn't eat junk too young, your mrs loses the weight she wants, you get to see her in slinky lingerie when she's done.

There are some really easy eating patterns to get into, they require motivation though which is where you find out if she really wants to lose it. Also, go for walks or something with each other- light exercise but you get to enjoy each other's company and be healthier. Far better than that lemonade thing.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

That sounds like a horrible diet. I really hope that it isn't just 1L of that lemonade a day that you're allowed.
    All you and your missus will lose from this diet over 3 days is water weight, give it a week from when you've finished and that weight will be back.

Tell her indoors to take the nipper outside, that'll give her some excersise. You could even go with her and get some yourself.

I agree with Mav very much, I don't want to tell you how to raise your sprog but keep shitty food for him/her and it will only go downhill.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lol, the child is only 5 months old and being breast fed, so no mars bars just yet!

What I meant by the temptation thing - she regularly goes to the shops to buy groceries and "top up" ie, milk etc... so she's in a position to buyshit if she wants, and she does, because she's very naughty

The lemonade is being ditched as we speak!

Thanks for all the input fella's

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have you thought about the beer curry and kebabs diet i'm on that just now and ive doubled in size with it, its certainly changing the way i look.

We Only Need Nine men, we only need nine men.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by diablos View Post
    Have you thought about the beer curry and kebabs diet i'm on that just now and ive doubled in size with it, its certainly changing the way i look.
    Sound advice as always diablos!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lol, the child is only 5 months old and being breast fed, so no mars bars just yet!

What I meant by the temptation thing - she regularly goes to the shops to buy groceries and "top up" ie, milk etc... so she's in a position to buyshit if she wants, and she does, because she's very naughty

The lemonade is being ditched as we speak!

Thanks for all the input fella's
    If there's one thing worse that feeding a child shite, it's actually eating shite then breastfeeding your child.

Believe it or not the quality of the breast milk depends on the quality of the food the mother is eating herself.

If she eats processed foods laden with additives, chemical flavour enhancers and god knows what else those are passed directly to the child. It is extremley important for a child of that age and at such a formative stage to be given the most nutritious breast milk possible.

And when I say processed foods I am not referring to KFC or McDonalds, I;m referring to anything that comes in a packet, tin or microwavable dish. They invariably all have additives and are all laden with far too much sugar, salt and refined oils which are basically so over treated they are toxic.

Feeding a baby poor quality breast milk is paving the way for allergies, food intolerances, eczema, asthma and a weak immune system in later life.

Do the kid a favour, advise the wife to start eating properly otherwise she'll be harming more than just herself.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If there's one thing worse that feeding a child shite, it's actually eating shite then breastfeeding your child.

Believe it or not the quality of the breast milk depends on the quality of the food the mother is eating herself.

If she eats processed foods laden with additives, chemical flavour enhancers and god knows what else those are passed directly to the child. It is extremley important for a child of that age and at such a formative stage to be given the most nutritious breast milk possible.

And when I say processed foods I am not referring to KFC or McDonalds, I;m referring to anything that comes in a packet, tin or microwavable dish. They invariably all have additives and are all laden with far too much sugar, salt and refined oils which are basically so over treated they are toxic.

Feeding a baby poor quality breast milk is paving the way for allergies, food intolerances, eczema, asthma and a weak immune system in later life.

Do the kid a favour, advise the wife to start eating properly otherwise she'll be harming more than just herself.
    Thanks for the info, but she's not eating shit everyday - she, like most of us I suppose, could eat better.

Just out of interest, is "poor quality" breast milk better or worse than formula? Answers on a postcard please

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just out of interest, is "poor quality" breast milk better or worse than formula? Answers on a postcard please
    And that's the type of question I expected in response.............I'd joke about a lot of things, but my child's health?

Thanks
    Karma Level

And that's the type of question I expected in response.............I'd joke about a lot of things, but my child's health?
    Eh? I'm being serious, just out of curiosity, because "forumula" isn't as good as breast milk, which is the btter of the two?

You wouldn't joke about your childs health because you don't have children. When you do you'll realise it's not easy to be a nutrition god, count calories, and take herbal supplements etc...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Eh? I'm being serious, just out of curiosity, because "forumula" isn't as good as breast milk, which is the btter of the two?

You wouldn't joke about your childs health because you don't have children. When you do you'll realise it's not easy to be a nutrition god, count calories, and take herbal supplements etc...
    It is if you have the commitment. Don't make excuses for poor parenting by suggesting it's difficult and I couldn't possibly understand because I don't have kids of my own. That's a piss poor excuse, but no doubt it gives you comfort.

As regards formula or Breast milk, if the mother eats crap then I'd probably say formula. There seems to be a huge disconnect between what the mother eats and how nutritious her breast milk will be. She can only create milk that is highly nutritious if the food she eats is rich in essential nutrients. Remember she's also eating to keep herself healthy at the same time, so if the food is nutritionally poor it's going to be that much harder to create nutritious milk for the child.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast