A locked Bronx basement was revealed yesterday to be a ghoulish laboratory of horrors, cops said - filled with preserved skulls, sulfuric acid and possibly a human fetus swimming in a jar of formaldehyde.
"It's beyond voodoo," said Dawn Jones, 22, who lives in the Holland Ave. building and never imagined the real-life fright film in the basement. "It's like a freak show down there. It makes me feel ill."
Jones, another tenant and a city inspector broke into the Holland Ave. building's cellar about 1:45 p.m. to check on a faulty hot water heater, officials said.
Using a flashlight, they shuffled slowly through the dark. The trio turned a corner and spotted the twisted collection - including intravenous bags, test tubes, beakers, microscopes and a refrigerator used to store blood.
"My face was so stunned. I had to make a U-turn and walk as fast as I could to get out of there," Jones said. "I couldn't run because it was so cluttered."
Building owner Barry Greene, 62, is in prison on charges of sexually abusing teenage boys, records show. Cops said it wasn't clear if he owned the material.
"They found one jar that might contain a possible human fetus," said an NYPD spokesman. "But they might get it to a lab and find out it's rubber. The medical examiner will make that determination."
Several jars were removed from the home, and city environmental inspectors were examining some with potentially explosive chemicals.
"The others contain animal remains," the spokesman said.
Jones and another tenant in the two-family building in Morris Park said they have complained for months about a lack of hot water and intermittent electricity.
Inspectors have repeatedly cited violations in the building. City officials even made some repairs on the home and sent Greene the bill. A Department of Housing Preservation and Development inspector finally gained access to the basement yesterday after slapping Greene with a violation for keeping the basement locked on Aug. 8.
"HPD inspectors were out there today and made this discovery and reported it to the police," said agency spokesman Neill Coleman.
Because Greene is behind bars, the tenants had been making out rent checks to his lawyer Harold Entes, who declined to comment on the gruesome finds.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007...horrors-2.html