Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Fecking 1 year warranties

BASTARDSSSSSSS..I cant believe the amount of time this has happended to me over the years and do I learn me lesson NO Fecking new washing machine just got it last August 14 and the other week there the missus said that doesnt sound right and I said right will look out the warranty and get them to sort it out.2 weeks pass and I just remember tonight. It was 2 weeks ago tomorrow that the fecking thing ran out and and I cant believe it..It has happened on several occassions to me and it really pisses me off...Do you think them feckers actually have something that as soon as the 1 yr is up press a bloody button and voila,the appliance needs repaired just outside warranty time...Bastardssss!!!!!!!
    I feel better now Anyone else have such fecking luck with things like so...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Fecking 1 year warranties

Quote Originally Posted by toto67 View Post
    BASTARDSSSSSSS..I cant believe the amount of time this has happended to me over the years and do I learn me lesson NO Fecking new washing machine just got it last August 14 and the other week there the missus said that doesnt sound right and I said right will look out the warranty and get them to sort it out.2 weeks pass and I just remember tonight. It was 2 weeks ago tomorrow that the fecking thing ran out and and I cant believe it..It has happened on several occassions to me and it really pisses me off...Do you think them feckers actually have something that as soon as the 1 yr is up press a bloody button and voila,the appliance needs repaired just outside warranty time...Bastardssss!!!!!!!
    Sods law matey. Shall I post the razor blades, or do you have some on order?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have a look below m8 you might still be in with a shout.

Code:
    http://www.which.co.uk/reports_and_campaigns/consumer_rights/reports/your_rights/buying_selling/Returning%20faulty%20goods/Returning_faulty_goods_report_657_6571_3.jsp

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tshirt View Post

Code:
    http://www.which.co.uk/reports_and_campaigns/consumer_rights/reports/your_rights/buying_selling/Returning%20faulty%20goods/Returning_faulty_goods_report_657_6571_3.jsp
    Thanks m8,gonna have a read at it...But will get the usuall shit if I ask anyway but worth a try

Thanks
    Karma Level

Do you think them feckers actually have something that as soon as the 1 yr is up press a bloody button and voila,the appliance needs repaired just outside warranty time...Bastardssss!!!!!!!
    basically...yes mate....yes, I think they do.

A year and a week....every bloody time

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

the problem is that nothing is made to last today, there was a time when things were made to last and you`d normally get a 2 year warranty on pretty much everything you bought. I bought a cooker a couple of years ago, cost me about £500 and came with a 2 year warranty, so when I was asked if I`d like to take out an extra year`s cover for £25 I took it, I`m covered now so if it goes wrong no probs. I tend to do this now with most things that cost over £300 or so, better safe than sorry is my motto.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by gameking48 View Post
    the problem is that nothing is made to last today, there was a time when things were made to last and you`d normally get a 2 year warranty on pretty much everything you bought. I bought a cooker a couple of years ago, cost me about £500 and came with a 2 year warranty, so when I was asked if I`d like to take out an extra year`s cover for £25 I took it, I`m covered now so if it goes wrong no probs. I tend to do this now with most things that cost over £300 or so, better safe than sorry is my motto.
    Yeh,thats so tru m8...I remember when that electrical company(forgot their name) were offering if you didnt use them warranty you would get a full refund..I got my money back on 2 things I used it for,was a great idea I thought..Maybe that contributed to them going down the tubes
    Its a bloody ripoff it is....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks m8,gonna have a read at it...But will get the usuall shit if I ask anyway but worth a try
    If you do feel like it, wait till a day when you're in a real bad mood and wanna take it out on someone, as you probably will have to argue for a while. Just tell monkey at desk he might as well get his boss, as monkey probably don't get paid enough to listen to the ear bashing you gonna give. With boss, just keep repeating that all their papers probably say statutory rights not affected, and this is a statutory right, so money please.

Also the law says products should last reasonable time. 1 year and a week is shady, but if you wanna be really sneaky, leave it in the car, go in the shop and point at new one, get talking about products and ask how long money reckons it will last. If boss says item only expected to last a year, this is a good way around it.

Yeh,thats so tru m8...I remember when that electrical company(forgot their name) were offering if you didnt use them warranty you would get a full refund..I got my money back on 2 things I used it for,was a great idea I thought..Maybe that contributed to them going down the tubes
    Its a bloody ripoff it is....
    That g'tee sounds the bollox! However, no surprise they went under - either way they had to pay out, so I can't see how they expected to make any money!

Thanks
    Karma Level

alot of warrentys now have the policy that it doesnt cover certain things, like moving parts or general wear and tear, not worth the paper theyre written on.

Its almost as bad as the rule that anything expensive you buy will go in a sale or get a price cut the week after you get one.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by gameking48 View Post
    better safe than sorry is my motto.
    Kinda contradicts your other a motto "every holes a goal"

Thanks
    Karma Level

I remember when that electrical company(forgot their name) were offering if you didnt use them warranty you would get a full refund..I got my money back on 2 things I used it for,was a great idea I thought..Maybe that contributed to them going down the tubes
    The way it works is they rely on people forgetting to reclaim the money back. A lot of people do.
    Last edited by Kushty; 28th August 2007 at 09:34 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have had similar issues with warranties due to the throwaway mentality of the fucking electrical giants these days.

The Mrs, in her wisdom, took out a policy that she pays about 6 quid a month for that covers the washer, dishwasher and the fridge if I remember rightly and it rocks. We actually took it out after the washer broke, left it a week or two and then called them out and it was fixed and would have cost a fortune for a new drum etc. Worth having a look at. I can get the name of the folk who do it later if you want.

Thanks
    Karma Level

sounds good bertroot! details would be great.
    i usually buy stuff from currys now as the warranty is ok.
    i bought a vac from them a couple of months ago, was about £190 ish and the extended warranty they offered was called "whatever happens" and includes accidental damage, cost me £30 for 3 years and the best thing is that they don't fix, as it was less than £200 they replace it with a new one, so "IF" it still works at the end of the 3 year "whatever happens" policy i will be dropping it down the stairs to get a new one! and if not then i will already have a new one! win:win to me.

Opti

When I worked in retail we were trained to shit all over the nice customers and cream every possible penny out of them and give the absolute cunts everything they demanded just to get them out of the store.

It shouldnt be that way and I would prefer to see reasonable people rewarded but thats the way it is.
    It proved correct when I took a camera back to Currys for the second time, they wanted to send it for repair for up to 4 weeks, I wanted a refund. I got the refund but not before someone had been for the security guard who was pacing up and down a safe distance behind me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Opti's post is sad but true.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tshirt View Post

Code:

I'd go with this one for sure.

Although this site defines different terms for reasonable quality and reliability, the general consensus and average is 6 years. Put simply, electrical and mechanical items are expected to reasonably last for 6 years. If the item fails within that time you can dispute the product quality with the manufacturer.

You may have to take it to court but if you have looked after the product, Serviced it as advised by the manuals and not damaged it in anyway then you should be safe.

This site here also details the info in a similar manner
    http://www.hants.gov.uk/regulatory/t...rds/goods.html

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Opti View Post
    When I worked in retail we were trained to shit all over the nice customers and cream every possible penny out of them and give the absolute cunts everything they demanded just to get them out of the store.

It shouldnt be that way and I would prefer to see reasonable people rewarded but thats the way it is.
    It proved correct when I took a camera back to Currys for the second time, they wanted to send it for repair for up to 4 weeks, I wanted a refund. I got the refund but not before someone had been for the security guard who was pacing up and down a safe distance behind me.

hehe good call

If ever I have to return something, I think out carefully what I'm going to say in the event they become awkward. Most of the time, the retailer just does what I want. Mainly because when I go in, rather than just say "it's not working", I provide them with a description of the fault, the symptoms leading up to it (if possible), what I have done to try and rectify it and finish off with advising that I'm not happy with the product, I do not want a replacement and to refund my account the full value.

I NEVER ask for a refund, I tell them to give me a refund as asking gives them a choice. Telling them doesn't .

If they become arsey, I just show them the number for the local trading standards office and put my finger on the call button.. LOL it's funny how many people suddenly backtrack on what they were saying..

Thanks
    Karma Level

1 year warranties for electrical goods are illegal.
    Check the LE's sticky.

I think youll find its upto 6 years:

Faulty goods? You've still got rights when the guarantee runs out

That new TV looked great in the shop, and worked perfectly for the first year. Then it packed up. Phillip Inman explains what you can do when a defunct electrical item is no longer covered

Saturday March 25, 2006
    The Guardian

Shoppers are being sold short when expensive electrical goods break down. If a TV or fridge packs up just one day after an initial one-year guarantee, customers are told they have to pay for the repair - but the truth is that retailers may be liable for up to six years. Consumer experts say retailers are exploiting ambiguous legislation to wriggle out of their responsibilities. Ministers, however, claim the law is quite clear. The Sale of Goods Act offers protection against faulty goods even when the manufacturer's guarantee has run out. The act says goods must last a reasonable time - and that can be anything up to six years from the date of purchase.
    Which? - formerly the Consumers Association - says consumers should argue strongly with retailers when a product breaks down within six years. The Sale of Goods Act doesn't define how long specific products should last, because different products have different life spans. But a survey by Which? of manufacturers into how long they believe different types of appliance should last made interesting reading. All of them said their goods should last five years or more.
    But retailers, which should be the first port of call for all complaints, make life difficult for customers who refuse to buy an extended warranty. Even when there is little doubt the fault lies with the goods maker (rather than abuse of the machine) customers are still routinely asked to pay more than £100 for the call-out and a separate amount for spare parts.
    Tim Young, a senior researcher at Which? says the problem can be traced back to the sale of extended warranties. "Retailers want to sell extended warranties. Manufacturers know this and they don't want to rock the boat. So you don't have to be too cynical to say it is in the manufacturers' interests to hike up the costs of call-outs and repairs."
    In many cases customers are being told to spend several hundred pounds to restore a machine to working order - when they could instead be entitled to a refund under the Sale of Goods Act.
    Take the example of an Apple ipod that breaks down outside the standard one-year guarantee. The usual response, or at least the response from both the Manchester and Birmingham Apple Centres, is don't bother getting a repair. Staff say the cost of repair would exceed the value of a £300 40Gb model and refuse a free replacement. Yet iPods are designed to be portable and take a reasonable amount of wear and tear. Consumers should follow the advice of Which? (right) and demand refunds when the fault is not of their making.
    Two other examples illustrate how shops and electrical goods manufacturers make life difficult. The glass door shattered on a De Longhi range cooker bought from Comet three and a half years previously. The shop wanted to charge £59.95 for a call-out and more than £500 for a new door. The cooker cost £499.
    In another incident, a John Lewis customer reported a fault with the ice and water dispenser on a four-year-old US-style fridge freezer. John Lewis directed the complainant to the manufacturer, Samsung. To check the fridge, Samsung demanded a call-out charge of £79.95 for the first 15 minutes and £25 for each subsequent 15 minutes. Parts would be extra. The customer was told they could ask a third party maintenance firm to check the fridge. The three major firms listed in the local Yellow pages all refused, saying they found it difficult sourcing parts for this style of fridge.
    It's a similar story with faulty TV sets. When we rang the service division of Dixons, which is called Mastercare, to say an 18-month-old 42in plasma TV wasn't working we were told that it could send someone out to get it, but it would cost £120 plus any parts. However, we were also told that if it had failed because of an inherent fault, they would try to get the manufacturer to make a contribution to its repair - where appropriate.
    When we pushed Mastercare further, the call centre representative said that if they got our TV back to their service centre and it was found to be uneconomic to repair, we could reject the original £125 (plus parts) quote, and simply pay a more reasonable £25 inspection fee.
    "We do get a lot of TVs - LCDs and Plasmas - sent in, and most are usually repairable for less than the cost of buying a new one," he said. But, as Which? says, you shouldn't have to pay a penny, even if the guarantee has expired, if the goods are faulty and less than six years old.
    The steps you can take
    1. Contact the retailer's head office: You won't get any joy from youthful shop staff or call centres. Be firm and explain you think your product hasn't lasted a reasonable amount time. You want it to be investigated and repaired, or replaced if it turns out to be faulty.
    2. Get an independent report: A major retailer is likely to have its own repairs centre or an arrangement with the manufacturer, but this may result in sky-high call out charges. Contact an independent repairer and ask it to produce a report. Most of the independents we contacted charged between £30 and £40 to visit and many would write a short report as part of the cost. You can claim back up to £200 for the costs of the repairer's bill.
    3. Commission a repair: Ask the retailer to repair or replace the goods. If the repair cost is disproportionate the retailer can offer a refund of the original purchase price, though probably not a full refund. If the shop makes life difficult you can ask go to an independent repairer and reclaim the whole cost. Make sure they provide evidence of the fault.
    4. Be prepared to battle: The company could refuse to refund the repair cost, leaving you to chase them through the small claims court. A judge can order the retailer to settle the claim - up to £5,000 - and pay legal costs. For information on taking a case to the small claims court, read our guide published last week (guardian.co.uk/money). Consumer Direct is the government's new online and telephone advice line. Call an adviser on 08454 04 05 06.
    The Department of Trade & Industry says the rules are clear and as long as you have evidence of a fault the judge will be sympathetic. But David Oughton, professor of consumer law at De Montfort University in Leicester, says an EU Directive has muddied the waters. "The presumption underlying the new rules is that you have two years to make a case." He says judges may override the old rules giving protection up to six years.
    A spokeswoman for the DTI says: "There is a common misunderstanding that the EU Directive requires a two-year guarantee to be given, but that is not the case. UK law in practice provides better protection for consumers than the two-year minimum required by the EU - consumers are able to pursue relevant claims for up to six years (five in Scotland)." p.inman@guardian.co.uk
    <!--Article is not commented: 0 -->
    http://money.guardian.co.uk/howtocom...ticle_continue

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks 4me2...But contacted them on Friday and told them I wasnt happy and got the old your outwith the warranty and there is absolutely nothing we can do.I told him that I wasnt accepting it and that 2 weeks over the 1 yr warranty wasnt acceptable and that the product should have lasted longer than the year.Did he think 2 weeks was a reasonable time for a washing machine to develop a fault and agreed it wasnt but again said we cannot do any repairs outwith this warranty.He told me that they could arrange for me at a cost of £120 for an extended years warranty and then I could have as many claims in that time as I liked Prick!!! He said he understands my point and even if it was only 1 day outwith the warranty the answer would still be the same.He said if he put through the claim then the company would charged me in the region of £140+ as they would know that the said warranty had expired..I think I would need to take this up with the manaufacteurs as I bought this online and feel as if I am banging my head off a brick wall

Thanks
    Karma Level

Refer to Opti's post, you have to make as much of a scene without being silly, thats sadly the only way many pricks in the retail industry will actually adhere to their legal committments, at the end of the day, many big companies have poilicies that will break laws either by blatantly flaunting customers rights, or even confilicting with their own t&c's.

Problem is staff are trained like monkeys to do their job. Only when it's in their face that you know your rights and you aren't prepared to back down will they get someone senior involved who eventually will back down because he knows what the real script is.