Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Student who put her flip-flops on train seat wins ‘ludicrous’ case

A student who was taken to court for putting her feet on a train seat escaped a potentially career-wrecking criminal conviction yesterday after lawyers branded the case a “ludicrous” waste of time and money.

Kathleen Jennings, 19, wiped tears from her eyes as she was given an absolute discharge by Chester magistrates.

The university student, who is studying maths, had fallen foul of the train operator Merseyrail’s “zero tolerance” policy to protect its upholstery.

Although she removed her flip-flops from the seat as an inspector arrived, this did not satisfy the company. Rather than imposing a fine, it chose to pursue the matter through the courts, in a move that was criticised yesterday as an absurd over-reaction.

Had she been convicted of a criminal offence, the teenager could have struggled to realise her ambition of becoming a maths teacher.

However, Christine Abrams, the chairwoman of the magistrates’ bench, gave Miss Jennings an absolute discharge, meaning that no criminal offence will be recorded and she will suffer no penalty. There were no costs awarded.

Ms Abrams said: “The bench is united in feeling that while this may have been contrary to a by-law, Merseyrail should have a less draconian method for dealing with matters of this nature.” She advocated a more commonsense approach in the future. “A fixed penalty system may be more appropriate.”

As the bench delivered its decision, the teenager’s parents, Tony and Susan, broke into a round of applause. Outside court, Miss Jennings said: “I’m really relieved. I thought the worst. I thought they were not going to give me a discharge. It’s been very distressing, to be honest, getting a solicitor and going through all this, which I’ve never done before. It’s been a bit difficult.”

She admitted resting her feet on a train seat while on her way home to Oldham in June this year, when she was approached by an inspector. She said she feared that a conviction would show up on criminal record checks and put at risk her chances of working with children. “It’s quite scary — for just putting my feet on a seat on a train it would jeopardise all that,” she said.

“I hope they will target proper criminals, not someone like me.”

Her father added: “It is ridiculous, they just pick on the easy targets. In my day you used to get a bang around the earhole and ‘Don’t do it again’.”

Earlier Kevin Jones, representing Merseyrail, told the court that, as a train inspector approached Miss Jennings, she took her flip-flops off the seat. He admitted there was no verbal warning but said that a notice in front of her warned passengers of a £100 penalty for resting their feet on seats.

Irwin Bamforth, for the defence, said: “I have to say that the general consensus is, this is ludicrous. All it would have taken was for the gentleman to say, ‘Please take your feet down.

“She took her feet down and that should have been the end of it. She was taken off the train extremely distressed. Her whole family have become involved and they are very distressed. She is a young lady with no previous convictions who has co-operated fully.

“To be punishing a promising young student who could end up with a criminal conviction is crazy.”

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle2388309.ece

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Student who put her flip-flops on train seat wins ‘ludicrous’ case

saw this on the news last night - what a complete load of shite, and a total waste of money.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Send the bitch down! If you can't do the time, don't do the crime!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I bet it wasn't as cut and dried as what they say, she'll have taken her feet down, then as soon as the conductor walked off they'd have gone straight back up there again.

Then she'll have forgotten that they have cameras on merseyrail trains and she'll have been spotted and they should have done her for it.

Teens these days have absolutely no respect for anything.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

absurd completley blown out of proportion

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by gantybop View Post
    Send the bitch down! If you can't do the time, don't do the crime!
    agreed, anyone got a pic of this slut?

Thanks
    Karma Level

If someone comes to my place and puts shoes etc. onto my sofa's I'd fucking cut their big toe off.

However, she should of just got a slap, no need for a court case for that.

Then what's better? Being a maths teacher, or being inside?!

Thanks
    Karma Level

total nonsense....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Too many cunts put there feet up on seats. Dog shit, spit and fuck knows what else is pressed into train seats and we ALL have to transfer it to our clothes.

They should have amputated the bitches feet to set a president.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    agreed, anyone got a pic of this slut?
    The naughty little minx.. I'd hit it
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

She can put her feet all over me, im not that fussed

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd hit it with a lump hammer. I expect students to be much more sexually forward in their dress even when attending court.

B- for effort.

Thanks
    Karma Level

She'd get it, for sure.

Fucking waste of time and money, she should have pulled her kecks down and curled out a nugget in protest. That would have made the court case worth it

Thanks
    Karma Level

hmm the BBC seems to report it a little differently

A student has been found guilty of putting her feet on a train seat
    she will not be punished but her criminal offence will be recorded
    where has LE gone - he'd clear all this up?

Bet she gave some grief to the conductor, or refused to service his ticket machine.

Thanks
    Karma Level

looks like a smug gobby bitch. Hope her offence is recorded and her career dreams are in tatters.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Maybe her feet smelt of rotten cheese in those flip flops, and some of the gristle from under her nails fell onto the seats when she put them down ??? Just a thought....
    IMac, MacBook Pro, Ipad 2, Iphone 4, Iphone 3GS....Oh and a PC or 2 knocking about